Rainy Day St Louis Spare Ribs

Robert T

TVWBB Guru
It was fun today watching college football and barbecuing in a rainstorm. I had a rack of St. Louis spare ribs in the freezer so I thawed them out in a sink full of cold water and then slathered them with mustard and applied our home made rub.

image_zpsnrvoxq8e.jpeg

Set up the grill for a long cook with apple wood as the smoke.

image_zpsfmr3jses.jpeg

Ribs on!

image_zpsmjv4ib4l.jpeg

Kim made sauce from page 152 of Weber's New Real Grilling Cookbook, of course adding her own little touches to the sauce. It was awesome. It filled the house with the aroma of a bbq joint. Love it. Makes your mouth water waiting for the meat to get done!

image_zpsbe6uzbyu.jpeg

At the two and a half hour mark turned the ribs back to front and top to bottom and added a little charcoal for good measure.

image_zpsvbewfkcr.jpeg

After about five and a half hours took the ribs out of the rack, cooked for about ten more minutes and then sauced with Kim's great sauce. The lighting makes it look yellow in the pic but it was really good.

image_zpscjifzneo.jpeg

image_zpsvnm9n2sx.jpeg

After about forty five minutes brought the ribs into the house to rest.

image_zpsztzzntdg.jpeg

Plated with some Bushes Beans that Kim kicked up with some of her BBQ sauce and some cornbread she made. All served with a fine American Light Lager because I was out of good beer.

image_zps3v4skfoq.jpeg

image_zpszo1atxju.jpeg

These ribs were some of the most tender ribs we have ever cooked. It was hard to get them off the grill with two sets of tongs without them falling apart. And this is without foiling. Great Saturday college football meal, although it was done a little late. It was worth the wait!

Thanks for looking!

Last edited:
Very nice ...you and Kim make an excellent team!! Some times them rainy stormy days are the best stay home cook something up days!! You both did good!! Very nice!

Robert, Your Ribs Look Great! Your Wife KIM Is Beautiful!! And I Love Your Honesty!!!
All served with a fine American Light Lager because I was out of good beer.

These ribs were some of the most tender ribs we have ever cooked. It was hard to get them off the grill with two sets of tongs without them falling apart. And this is without foiling. Great Saturday college football meal, although it was done a little late. It was worth the wait!
You make some of the most impressive "kettle cooked" ribs I've seen. Nearly six hours on the BBQ, I never would have guessed you'd get ribs like that. You're definitely a Jedi

You two remind me so much of Barb and I, working as a team makes cooking so much more fun. Also looking at the results of your cooks a lot more tasty too. Great job you two.

Awesome team work Robert and Kim, yes that sauce is great we've used it before on different dishes great flavor.

Perfect looking ribs Robert! Glad you got your cook done in spite of the rain. I've got an 8 lb. Butt still sitting in the fridge because 40 mph winds moved in yesterday and are still going strong today. Great job.

Back