Smoked Silverside.

TonyUK

TVWBB Guru
Hi Folks. Merry Xmas.

Picked up a 3lb piece of silverside yesterday for my first smoke in a while.

Seasoned with a Dijon mustard smear, h/made rub with a mix of Montreal Steak Seasoning.

The Star.
32zlukp.jpg

The set-up. Minion with cherry wood.
w9fcr5.jpg

Let's cook!
24e6d5w.jpg

Will report back later with hopefully good results. Thanks for dropping by.

Will report back later with hopefully good results
Hi Tony, belated Merry Christmas. What's the temp goal with the silverside? Just wondering if it's similar to the clod I cooked? Looking forward to how it turns out

Merry Xmas ChuckO. Shooting for an IT of 130F, rest, then reverse sear. (Going for Rare/Med).

Edit: I'm currently sitting at 225F grate temp., 100F meat IT. 1.5hrs in. Because it's quite a lean cut of meat I don't want to dry it out, so I'm trying to stay low at the grate. I did notice that there was some nice, but small amount, of marbling going on. So hopefully drying it out won't be an issue.

Last edited:
Nice to see you back Tony, looking good so fare. Can't wait to see the finish pics. Hope you and the family had a great Christmas and a Great New Year coming up.

Thanks Barb/Rich. A belated Merry Xmas to you both also, and to you also Cliff B. :)

I have decide to go to 130F IT before the rest/reverse sear. It felt too squidgy just a moment ago at 122F.

Edit: What do I know?…. :p

After reaching an IT of 131F, I removed, foiled, wrapped in a towel and placed in a cooler for 30 mins.

Stoking up the coals for the reverse sear.
33bzjwp.jpg

I decided it was necessary to call in the cavalry. Bring on The Craycorts!
e67o0p.jpg

The Sear. (5 minutes either side).
jtm91y.jpg

Shooting for 135F IT.
2mhiemw.jpg

The Flip.
5213x4.jpg

The Carve. (After another 15 minute rest after the sear).
2ymyjkh.jpg

Your Plate. Egg-fried rice, a mixed diced salad & a horseradish/sriracha dip). Sorry for the dirty knife. :(
2icayog.jpg

Ps. I read on numerous websites that you couldn't L&S silverside. Rubbish! This turned out better than I expected. A little rare some would say, but it was moist, and very tasty. The cherry wood was a definite yes! The CEO was happy. :)

Have a Happy & Healthy New Year.

Looks wonderful. Rare is the only way to go with this (like eye of round and sliced thin).

Before anyone asks, I had no idea what silverside was. It turns out it's bottom or round roast OR rump roast. Apparently the Aussies (and others) consider it the meat of choice for corned beef.

Before anyone asks, I had no idea what silverside was. It turns out it's bottom or round roast OR rump roast. Apparently the Aussies (and others) consider it the meat of choice for corned beef.
You would be correct Len. I think silverside may be called Top Round in the US. Apparently very good for corned beef, & jerky. (I have used it for jerky previously).

Hi Len & TonyUK,

Silverside is absolutely what we use here for Corned Beef,

Growing up, our Mum would do a special order for a piece of 'fresh' Silverside from the butcher. It was our families 'go-to' for Roast Beef.

Mum would insert garlic slivers into the meat. That was fairly exotic for Australian cooking of the day.

A lean/healthy cut, great hot or cold, and little wastage.

Nice looking cook Tony, and thanks for bringing back the memories.

No probs Stephen. Glad you like the post mate. Silverside was a special Sunday treat when we were kids, (5 of us), back in the day, (60s/70s) :)
And as you mention, there was NO wastage. (It was guaranteed Mum would make Cottage Pie on a Monday with the leftovers). Happy days.

Last edited:
Okay Tony, I'm in on this one. After all the fatty meats through the holiday that lean and perfectly cooked silverside (and yes I had to look it up too) is on the list to do. Nice cook!

Thanks Rich. Please get in on this one. A very understated cut in my opinion. It's cheap and soooo tasty. I have just eaten a toasted sandwich with this. Mmmmm! :)

I've used the same style of cut for years for jerjy from C&C in the dehydrator, Hummm, opens up another possible use.. Great post and pictures!!

Back