Hickory Smoked, Smoked Maple Bourbon Infused Jerky

Jim Lampe

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
this thread ▼ got my pea-brain rolling...

http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?62910-Whiskey-in-your-Jerky-marinade

so, I decided two weeks ago to try it.
I did so, starting Thursday night by slicing the top round then marinating it...

dec52015jerky.jpg

Friday, the beef was removed from the liquid to air dry in the fridge...
then finished it today.

▼ on the 26" OTG Weber Kettle with a 2 side-by-side Kingsford snake with hickory wood atop

dec52015jerky1.jpg

after two hours of intense smoke, the beef strips were moved to the dehydrator

dec52015jerky2.jpg

dec52015jerky3.jpg

after another 4 hours, it's looking danggum good!

dec52015jerky4.jpg

tried a piece prior to this ▼ photo, determined it is ready to eet.

dec52015jerky5.jpg

not too bad.
with my shot tastebuds, the sweet maple bourbon does not make the jerky taste sweet (a good thing)...
but I do sense a bit whiskey flavour along with a nice strong hickory smoke hit.
good $#!+ and fun to make.
I think next time, i'll slice the beef WITH the grain, instead of against the grain.

Thanks for stoppin' by!
4869.gif

Looks good Jim. It must be Jerky makin season - I have some marinading in the recipe from a retired Surveyor he got from the MO Conservationist magazine.

I does look very good, Jim! Been a while since I've made jerky, this may get me going.

FWIW, I always slice jerky with the grain. Across the grain makes it turn out a bit "mealy" with the short muscle fibers.

Always seems to taste good, tho! :)

R

Thanks guys! Dwain, I KNOW Bob's recipe it good!!

FWIW, I always slice jerky with the grain. Across the grain makes it turn out a bit "mealy" with the short muscle fibers.

Always seems to taste good, tho! :)

R
Absolutely Rich!

My goodness! That's all I have. Blown away and so curious now about the bourbon flavors in jerky. Sounds amazing.

A customer gave me some venison jerky the other day. Real good! After this thread, I may just have to try making some!

I guess this is what a person that joined in 2009 and has 16,084 posts does, been there done that.

Always enjoy whatever you post Jim, inspiration for all of us wannabes.

Glad it was good! I got a couple pizza screens and thought they'd work well............. I've been wanting do do jerky again for a long time. Been years......not sure how many but too long.

Jim that looks awesome and I bet the flavor was spot on. We're going to have to try that for sure.

Okay Jim, now Barbs got me lined up for another project, although this one looks like it's going to be fun. We both like Jerky so I'll start my research now. Your dehydrator looks like a convection oven is that what you use?
Oh, great looking Jerky, not your first rodeo for sure.

Stove shopping - we just went through that excruciating h*ll a couple of months ago... Your new one looks a winner, as does the jerky!

thanks again, folks! :eek:

yes Rich, my oven is also a dehydrator.
We are replacing this electric oven with a gas oven, however, the new one will also be a true convection with a dehydrator setting.
this is the oven ▼ we now have....

dec52015jerky6.jpg

dec52015jerky7.jpg

...and the new one ▼ we plan on buying very shortly.

http://www.samsung.com/us/appliances/oven-ranges/NX58H5650WS/AA

NX58H5650WS_001_Front_Black_5.jpg

Rats, We just purchased a new convection oven but alas convection setting only goes down to 250. Never knew there was such a thing as a dehydrator setting on an oven. Pretty cool.

Never knew there was such a thing as a dehydrator setting on an oven. Pretty cool.
neither did I until AFTER I bought the oven... then reading thru the owners manual, I came upon the dehydrator settings... a BRIGHT LIGHT turned on in my little mind.

the new oven we'll be buying also does SLOW COOKing... low temps and extended times... really looking forward to this guy.

Last edited:

Back