Teriyaki Spare Ribs

Robert T

TVWBB Guru
I had a big rack of ribs in the freezer and wanted to BBQ them. I took a poll of the family and they wanted me to cook them teriyaki flavored. So I did. Here are the ribs in a big zip lock marinating. They would marinate for three hours.

image_zpsgycpr7hs.jpeg

Set up the grill for a long cook. The ribs weighed four and a half pounds so I knew it would be a long cook.

image_zps4yhs6drj.jpeg

Ribs on the grill. Turned at 2 hours and sauced with some more of the teriyaki marinade at about the 4 hour mark.

image_zpsv9hrw6ms.jpeg

image_zpsz3ym4zze.jpeg

image_zpsr5y4jpqc.jpeg

I had to run some errands and when I got home the temp was sitting at 207 so I was worried I had not paid enough attention to my project. I added some charcoal and got the temp back in the 250 -275 range. Finally pulled them off at six and a half hours.

image_zpsdrzzddyk.jpeg

Here they are plated with some sides.

image_zpswwcy7j2l.jpeg

image_zpszxt5hwkr.jpeg

I guess the best thing I can say about them is that they were ok. Very tender. But with this big of a rack of ribs and no smoke and no bold sauce they were, in my opinion, somewhat bland. I think an overnight marinade would have infused a lot more flavor. My kids and wife said they were great but they would say that no matter. Gotta love the family!

Thanks for looking and have a great week!

Family first! You have to please them. Those ribs look pretty good to me.
Please send leftovers, overnight delivery.

Barb and I love teriyaki and I've been thinking about doing that for a long time. I agree I would make my own teriyaki marinade and make it a little thinner and marinade overnight. I would use a light smoke such as peach or cherry for just a hint of smoke and baste often. I will say your ribs look great and kudos for giving it a try Robert.

Robert, that is fantastic, not only the ribs but that delicious looking pairing with the Soba noodles and rice dish.

Thanks for the nice comments everyone. It sounds crazy but when we ate these ribs as leftovers today they were actually better. More flavorful.

There is something about that next day - better flavor phenomenon. I'm sure Cooks Illustrated explained it somewhere...

Anywho, them bones look good!

Back