Pizza with the rack

Robert McGee

TVWBB Gold Member
This is the first pizza I have done with the pizza stone rack:

One full lit large Weber chimney and one full lit Weber small chimney:

Rack and stone on the fire (thirty minute pre-heat). After thirty minutes my laser thermometer showed 572 degrees on the top of the stone:

Nearly done, about two more minutes. Notice that the pizza has different toppings on each side. One side is traditional with pizza sauce and typical toppings. The other side has olive oil (instead of pizza sauce, with prosciutto, re-constituted dried figs, frozen pineapple, and a bit of cheese:

This was a frozen dough, thawed and allowed to rest for about an hour before it was worked into a pizza and topped. Here you can see how the dough has done (nice bubbly and very crisp bottom with a good chew):

The typical side slice:

The dessert side slice:

This was a very good pizza (both sides). The crust bottom was quite crisp and the upper area of the dough had a good chew. However, my wife and I agreed that, just maybe, the Trader Joe refrigerated dough was a bit better. More tender but still crisp. Maybe just a matter of preference... Really splitting hairs, here...

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Robert....that is an out of the park kettle pizza, which is probably the hardest pizza cook you can do (kettle) Congrats my friend

Outstanding pizza Robert that looks mighty tasty for sure. Winner winner all the way.

Robert that is some great looking pizza. Still working on my method and I have a ways to go before getting to that level.

Thanks for the kind words, folks. I believe the key to good pizza on the Kettle is simply raising the pizza stone up into the lid by 4". The firebricks I used to use did that and my new rack does it (I DO like the new rack:eek:). Then, one and one-half Weber chimney of lit coals (I use one large chimney and one small chimney of lit) spread evenly on the charcoal rack. Pre-heating the stone thirty minutes seems to work fine.

I HAVE to make some wood splits out of fruit wood to try adding to the fire to give a bit of smoke and maybe raise the temperature a bit (I am getting close to 600 degrees, now). Although, I have to admit that I have NO complaints with my pizza's using this present set up. I probably ought to just quit while I'm ahead (not quit doing pizza's but quit trying to "improve" them). We'll see...

Jump in folks, anyone who hasn't tried pizza on their Weber Kettle is in for a treat!

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Looks fantastic & now I want to try pizza on the grill again.
I got pretty discouraged with the KettlePizza setup I had.
Soggy pizza & cracked stone. Offed it.
However... you have inspired me to try again.
Thanks for the cook & great information.

Back