Weekend Smoked Jerky

Cliff Bartlett

R.I.P. 5/17/2021
I've been wanting to do some Jerky recently. Haven't done any in quite a while. I used Weber's recipe out of their "Smoke" book. Here are a few pic's.

Recipe called for two pounds of meat. I upped it to 3 pounds of top round and adjusted the marinade accordingly.

Got it sliced up on Saturday. Bagged and put in fridge.

Recipe calls to marinate the meat for one hour and that is what I did. The marinade includes Soy, Worcestershire Sauce and Honey. I'm going to up the marinate time to overnight the next time I do it. More on this later.

Ground up a peppercorn mix I picked up a while back.

This was my set up for the smoke. Used my 22 WSM with a 3 line snake. Some Hickory for smoke.

Got the meat all peppered.

On the WSM, running at a steady 170. Let it go for seven hours.

All done

The snake worked perfect. Was able to hold 170 for a solid 7 hours. As you can see, still had more to spare.

Let it cool on the racks and then bagged. Will vac seal in a couple of days.

The jerky was really tasty. As I mentioned earlier, I'll try a longer marinade next time. The jerky was obviously very peppery, but didn't pick up much salt from the marinade. It picked some nice flavor from the soy, Worcestershire and honey, but a little stronger would have been nice. Overall, I'm very happy with it and will do again. Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
Tasty Looking jerky Cliff!

I have been using this recipe lately, it is fantastic. You can add any other dry spices (garlic, ginger, pepper, etc). This is for a 1 pound batch, scale up accordingly.

Thai jerky

1 lb top round steak, cut into strips
2 tablespoons fish sauce
1 tablespoon dark or light soy sauce
2 teaspoons sugar
½ teaspoon ground white (or black) pepper

I added cure #1 at a ratio of 1tsp per 5 pounds of meat. Traditionally this wouldn't have cure and the meat would be dried in the sun.

The jerky was really tasty. As I mentioned earlier, I'll try a longer marinade next time. The jerky was obviously very peppery, but didn't pick up much salt from the marinade. It picked some nice flavor from the soy, Worcestershire and honey, but a little stronger would have been nice. Overall, I'm very happy with it and will do again. Thanks for looking.
It looks like some mighty fine jerky, excellently done Cliff for the future, how to make the official "Go Giants" Jerky:

Go Giants Jerky

Ingredients

6 lbs of London broil, cut into 3/16 inch or a little thicker if desired
1 cup of A-1 steak sauce
1 1/2 cup of teriyaki
1 cup of roasted teriyaki
1/2 cup of soy sauce
1/2 cup of molasses
3 oz pineapple juice
1 cup of Worcestershire sauce

Step One:
Blend all the marinade ingredients together. Cut meat 3/16 thick.

Step Two:
Marinade 8-10 days. Drain and then add back a little fresh marinade and let it rest for a night. Drain again in the morning.

Step Three:
Lay on smoker racks for smoking.

Step Four:
Make a "finish" sauce with: 1/2 cup of Lea & Perins steak sauce, 2 tbsp of molasses, the juice of 2 limes, 1/2 tsp crushed garlic, 1 tbsp of brown sugar

Step Five:
Blend and brush on sauce on one side of the meat, then put it back in the smoker with 1 pan of mesquite (can add a little cherry wood)

Note: Do no serve to Dodgers fans...

Outstanding! That snake is cool. I'm gonna try this when I get home.

Edit: Cliff, do you have a "money-shot" of the start of the snake? How did you stack the lit coals, & how many did you use? Cheers.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the nice comments. Case and Chuck, thanks for the recipes, they both look great.

Outstanding! That snake is cool. I'm gonna try this when I get home.

Edit: Cliff, do you have a "money-shot" of the start of the snake? How did you stack the lit coals, & how many did you use? Cheers.

Tony... No, I don't have any action shots of the lighting. Should have. I started out with three lighted briquettes, placed one leaning against the end of the snake, the other two on top. It was taking forever to get up to temp, so I lit five more and placed them closely around the other three. That did the trick. As it got close to 170, started adjusting the bottom vents to capture the 170. Hope that made sense.

Jerky looks great Cliff, i like it peppery.

Jeff... Then you're going to love this jerky! :)

Last edited:
When I've done jerky exactly like that, I'll start up 6 coals in the chimney. When they're ready, just dump in the centre of the grate and place at the "wood" end of the snake in the same manner as the unlit ones using a pair of tongs, in effect just making a slightly longer snake but the same shape. Those 6 will just keep burning and light the next 2-3 in line. Easy peasy.

When I've done jerky exactly like that, I'll start up 6 coals in the chimney. When they're ready, just dump in the centre of the grate and place at the "wood" end of the snake in the same manner as the unlit ones using a pair of tongs, in effect just making a slightly longer snake but the same shape. Those 6 will just keep burning and light the next 2-3 in line. Easy peasy.

Sounds like a good method too Len. Thanks.

Tony... No, I don't have any action shots of the lighting. Should have. I started out with three lighted briquettes, placed one leaning against the end of the snake, the other two on top. It was taking forever to get up to temp, so I lit five more and placed them closely around the other three. That did the trick. As it got close to 170, started adjusting the bottom vents to capture the 170. Hope that made sense.
Yep, that's pretty much what I was thinking Cliff. [Two lit on the end, three on top & three on the inside].
Thanks.

Back