Makin Bacon Mr. Corrells Way

Rich Dahl

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
All I can say is a great big shout out to Mr. Bob Correll. I followed his method for making bacon and making it for my first time it was perfect, great smoke flavor and just the right amount of salty flavor. Barb and I just looked at each in total amazement, best bacon we’ve ever had.

I used black pepper and brown sugar with the cure. 7 days in the bag turning every day. The last day on a cookie rack with a cookie sheet under it for 24 hours. Rinsed four time and soaked it twice for 20 minutes each.

Cooked on the mini using a 2—3 snake and apple wood and maple for the smoke. Kept temps low at 150-160 for the whole cook and pulled at 142.
Into a sealed bag and into a bucket of ice water to stop the cooking. Total cooking time 4:15.

If you haven’t tried this and you like bacon you truly are missing out.

S1033532_zpsjfe2qkhm.jpg

Ready to smoke
S1033725_zpsx9gyjz8l.jpg

S1033728_zpsy0ulizzm.jpg

S1033732_zpsetmi69f8.jpg

S1033715_zpsia2lle7z.jpg

Done
S1033734_zpseh67nbie.jpg

S1033748_zpsccn8gebj.jpg

S1033749_zps1bpeymae.jpg

S1033751_zpsu62panbk.jpg

To add to your package's label:
born, raised, harvested, cured, smoked, and eaten in the USA

Mighty fine looking bacon Rich, very glad you two are enjoying the fruits of your labor!
(killer pics too)

Outstanding looking bacon Rich! Job well done. Everyone's Costco is selling pork belly now, except the one up here.

Great lookoing bacon Rich. I have 2 lbs curing in the fridge right now. I have made bacon once before but used a wet cure. This time I'm using Bob's method and have no doubt it will come out great. Awesome job there.

Outstanding looking bacon Rich! Job well done. Everyone's Costco is selling pork belly now, except the one up here.

You might want to ask about them getting some. At our Costco they went from 1/3 of a twelve foot cooler to 1/2, I would say that the 1/2 holds about thirty. Last time we were in there I saw five carts with bellies in them. Big seller here.

Great lookoing bacon Rich. I have 2 lbs curing in the fridge right now. I have made bacon once before but used a wet cure. This time I'm using Bob's method and have no doubt it will come out great. Awesome job there.

You're going to love it!

Beautiful looking bacon right there.
Next time, for me... I'm going to try using the black pepper in the cure.

Looks like you nailed it Rich! Wouldn't you know Costco would start selling pork bellies after I "retired" my membership...:(

Rich, looks like you have mastered bacon. Once you try Bob's way of making bacon you never look back.
But the price you paid for it is killing me, try $4.99 a lb up here. My sister brings pork belly down from Craig for me. Still have to pay $4.99 though.
It's worth it though. Closest Costco is Albuquerque.

Closest Costco is Albuquerque.

Russ, I made that trip quite a few times during the 2 1/2 years we lived in Hesperus! That's a full day to say the least...took me and Cody (my Roti mix at the time..he was a serious "Road Toad"!) 3 hrs 45 minutes one way from Hesperus. It was fun, though. Funny thing - there was a Sam's Club right across the street from Costco in Albuquerque!

Last edited:
Great Looking Bacon! I picked up 4 bellies from Costco the other day and they are going in the brine this Sunday. Usually I make Buck Board Bacon, but these Costco Bellies are cheaper than pork butt is here!

Thanks everyone for the kind words. Barb and I or I should say Barb cooked up some this morning and man is that good stuff. After breakfast we decided to do a road trip, to guess where, Costco of course. Picked up another PB because sometimes Costco is a hit or miss. So now I'll have enough to last through the Winter or maybe the Fall, well at least to the end of summer.

Back