New Weber EP-330 Smoke Owner!

RJ Lakota

Hello all,

I'm new here and this is my first post and first time Weber grill owner. I've been researching these grills for the last month and half and I've finally convinced the ole wifey that buying a Weber is a good investment!! :p

Last night I became the proud new owner of the Weber EP-330 LP grill. I opted for the smoke color (matches my truck :))

http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/ag128/mooseman1812/Weber%20Grill/20150612_082723_resized_zpspmpepynr.jpg

I was going to go with SS but after reading many posts about cleaning them I opted for the EP model. My previous grill was all SS and I'll have to admit it was a bit of a pain to keep clean.

It took me about an hour and half to put it together plus spending about 20 minutes trying to find the igniter button. After searching hi and low I was unable to locate it. I noticed in the instructions it showed the battery, plastic threaded ring and igniter button all come together in a plastic bag. After seeing that I remembered when taking the parts out of the box the battery and plastic threaded ring were setting at the bottom of the box not in any plastic. I called Weber customer service this morning and they are sending me the igniter button via FedEx ground. In the meantime looks like I'll have to use the old match to lite her! :cool:

I have a few questions i was hoping I could get some insight on...

1) I have an old grill cover from my previous grill (Char-broil from Home Depot) that does not have any air vents. In the picture you can see condensation formed on top of the grill and over the temp gauge just from having the old cover on overnight. I've read online that it's a good idea to have a grill cover with air vents to eliminate this condensation from forming. I live in NY (Buffalo area) and up here it can get quit humid in the summers and very cold in the winters. Is it a good idea to have a grill cover with air vents? Is there one in particular that is recommended? I also read that the Weber cover allows water to flow through the vents pudding on to the side trays.

2) Smoke box... I would like to get a smoke box. I see on Weber's website they have 2 options.

a) Genesis Gas Grill Smoker Kit (Stainless Steel)
b) STAINLESS STEEL SMOKER BOX

There is big price difference between two seeing the smoker kit comes with a SS grate. Does anyone have personal experiences using both of these options?

Those are the only questions so far. I'm sure I will have more in which I will search this forum and if I can't find the answer I will be sure to post.

Thanks in advance,

RJ

Last edited:
First off - Congrats on the new grill. You are going to love it!

I live in Michigan so I can relate to the cold winters you are talking about, I don't cover my grill, but I'm fortunate to have a large overhang on the back of our house that does a pretty good job of protecting my grills. I am guessing a vented cover would be best if your only option is to cover it. Storing it in shed/garage during the winter would probably be a better option, if you could do it.

I got the smoker box with the cast iron grid for my Genesis, only reason to go cast iron was to match the grates that came with my grill. Just make sure it's for the E-330, it's going to come with a shortened grill grate and the smoker box that fits into your grill - personally I would order whichever one matches the grates on your grill.

Hope this helps, enjoy cooking on the new Genny!!

You'll love the grill; I have the same model and color. You can get a Classic Accessories Ravenna medium grill cover off of Amazon that is heavy duty and vented. There is a way to buy from Amazon through this site but I don't know how link it.

Thanks for the replies!

Jim - I think I'm going to pull the trigger on the SS smoker kit

Eric - Is the medium cover snug when covering the EP-330? Based on the size chart on Amazon it say's to go with the large cover for the Genesis models.

The medium fits my grill perfectly. I wouldn't really call it snug, but there isn't excess fabric lying or flapping around.

If you're binge shopping for it don't forget a rotisserie. I have the onegrill cordless model and am happy with it.

Also, grillgrates turn it into a giant flat top, and give you a great char or grill marks. I bought the 19.5" length and had to trim about 1/4" off of them so the lid would close properly.

The only thing I haven't bought for it is a smoker box. I've just being foiling wood chips and putting them on the flavorizor bars.

First off - Congrats on the new grill. You are going to love it!
+1! I just bought the exact same grill (in Smoke also) a couple of weeks ago and I'm loving it so far! I think it will be a great investment and is a great compliment to my Weber Performer grill. I can't answer your smoke box question but as for the cover, I bought the Weber 7107 which is designed for the Genesis line of grills. Its around ~$56 from Amazon and while it doesn't have any "vents" it is made from 100% polyester which is a "breathable" material and should stay flexible in cold weather unlike the typical vinyl covers out there. Haven just gotten it, I can't comment on it's performance or longevity yet?

Congrats on your new grill. I have a earlier E320 which sits on my covered patio. I do keep it covered with a vented cover because the sun up here in the mountains is brutal.
One thing to keep in mind is that this series of grills are know to have a rust problem with the bottom panel. If you keep it on concrete you need to put a barrier between the bottom of the grill and the concrete. The vapors that come off the concrete are extremely caustic because of the materials in the concrete and how close the metal is to the concrete over time it will attack the metal.
I know some who have used automotive undercoating on the bottom of their grills to protect them. I just use an outdoor mat I got at Home Depot.

Thanks for all the responses.

I received the missing part last night from Weber. I turned her on and let her burn for 45 minutes. I then cooked some burgers the wife and I. Man, what a grill!!! I've never owned a grill that got up to 700 degrees!!! My wife was impressed to!

This week I picked up the smoker box. I'm going give it a try this weekend with some chicken. I'm planning on using the apple chips.

RJ

Back