Burgers on the Weber

Craig Alumbaugh

TVWBB Guru
I know I am posting without pictures but wanted to share my recent experience. We normally make our burgers with 80/20 or 70/30 and yesterday I used 90/10. I just them some salt and pepper on both sides and then a quick sear on each side and pulled at 150° and we both agreed that they were the best burgers we have had to date. We will be using 90/10 from now on. So if just a suggestion is dont skimp on the beef when it comes to burgers.

I agree. When making burgers, go the whole shebang, & never skimp on the cow.

I have found a 50/50 or 60/40 split with ground beef & ground pork is the ONLY way to go......yum!!

I go the other way and like 75/25 for juiciness.
Fat is flavor and moisture.
Maybe I'm just not the best burger maker.
If I cooked a 90/10 burger, one would need lots of beer to wash it down.

I like my burgers fattier but there is a place up in the Wichita Mountains in Oklahoma called Meer's. They serve burgers made from grass-fed longhorn that are probably 95% lean if not more. You'd think they wouldn't be that great but they are awesome. They are griddle style burgers though. I use 80/20 myself.

I just looked it up:
http://www.meersstore.com/

The menu says 97%. Wow.

I cooked some killer burgers last night on my genny. hand ground 50% brisket 50% chuck, about 25% visible fat 75% lean. Cooked direct from frozen patties. May be my favorite yet. Fat is flavor, and if you can keep it juicy at 160 degrees you can take your crust to the extreme.

Who doesn't love a crusty burger???
latest

I've been grinding my own for a couple years. I like a mixture of sirloin,chuck and short ribs. Sirloin is lean,chuck has just enough fat to keep it moist and flavorful, and the short ribs just push it over the edge to WOW! I season with SPOG before I grind. That is my secret. Gladly share!

I'm an 80/20 fan bc fat is flavor and I'm cooking them well done w/o squeezing all the juice out. E. coli is not fun.... I don't take any chances. My mom had to go to the doctor for shots everyday.

David C,that's one of the reasons I've started grinding my own. When you start with steaks,there's little,if no, chance of microscopic vermin infecting the meat!
And,if by chance you want a medium burger,you know where and when the meat was ground!

Back