Is grilling over gas better than charcoal?

You wont see anyone around here say that! They seem to judge on speed alone, what about Taste!

Last edited:
"once charcoal is hot, there aren’t any aromatic compounds left in the coals."

I respectfully disagree.

"once charcoal is hot, there aren’t any aromatic compounds left in the coals."

I respectfully disagree.

I agree. I do 90% of my cooking indirect and I always have a smoke flavor. If I want more smoke flavor I add a wood chunk. I can be cooking just as fast using charcoal as a guy using a propane grill. Plus propane grills have hot and cold spots all over the place, a kettle has even heat throughout.

I'm not going to knock using gas, but this statement is just stupid, and to me, discredits his whole article.

"I can walk in my door with a bag of groceries at 6:30, and have grilled chicken on the table at 7, a happy family praising a delicious dinner. "

To each their own, but when it comes to taste and ease of cleanup/maintenance I'll stick with a good old Weber kettle.

I'm not going to knock using gas, but this statement is just stupid, and to me, discredits his whole article.

"I can walk in my door with a bag of groceries at 6:30, and have grilled chicken on the table at 7, a happy family praising a delicious dinner. "

maybe he likes his chicken raw?

Or maybe he's cooking boneless chicken breasts? My grill is right by my back door and I never use a cover. Set the bag down, fire up the grill, go inside and put groceries away, put chicken on the grill and be done in under 1/2 hour ? Not a problem

Like was said,it's the Internet. Anybody with a blog can say whatever they want. I do more gas grilling during the week,but the weekends are all charcoal unless its raining.
I do agree with one thing he said.
Still not convinced? Know what’s worse than grilling on gas, you snob?

Not grilling at all.

To each his own I have both and they each have there place in my mind coal imparts more flavor.
gas is a short amount of time faster in most cases.

For me, gas is great if my wife wants to use the grill. Otherwise, charcoal is the best, IMO.

I can definitely notice a difference in charcoal---especially in flavor, sometimes even in juiciness. Charcoal can be much more forgiving than gas, especially on cheap gas grills. My refurbished genesis is the best gas grill I've used so far and it's fairly forgiving, but the one I had before that I couldn't look away for more than a beer or everything could be charred.

Why would I buy a gas gril if I already have a charcoal grill? Is there any food that is better on a gas grill?

Why would I buy a gas gril if I already have a charcoal grill? Is there any food that is better on a gas grill?

I don't know that I'd say better, but different; it's just another option. Gas is easy too. Charcoal's easy, I know, but things like you might do in your oven you can do in your gasser instead.

There are also air quality restrictions in some cities (mine included I just found out) where you can't use charcoal but gas grills are ok, same as in the forest - sometimes there are bans on fires etc but not gas.

I was charcoal only until the end of last year when I found & rehabbed a gasser. I started grilling almost every single day, where with charcoal I'd only fire it up 1-3 times per week.

There are also air quality restrictions in some cities (mine included I just found out) where you can't use charcoal but gas grills are ok, same as in the forest - sometimes there are bans on fires etc but not gas.

Just as Clint said.
I have two gassers and five charcoal grills/smokers. Even as I write this the ban on charcoal grills is in place for the fire season which will likely be 3-4 months. So the covers come off the gassers. As much as I enjoy the charcoal cooks the gassers do a good enough job, still much better then the stove top or oven. Using my CI smoker box and some wet wood chips I can get a nice smoke flavor on a burger, chops or steaks. Not as good as charcoal with a L&S cook, but it works.
I believe that both have there place in outdoor cooking.

Gas as i said has it's place and is useful. if you have a larger party you can be cooking items on your gas grill that do not really pick up much or any flavor from coal such as corn on cob, bake potatoes, most veggies and then that leaves the charcoal grill open to really put the flavor into your party meal.

so there is reasons to own a gas grill. but if you only would need or use a few times a year say less than fifteen i would look at a used grill to restore, to keep the price down and make worth while.

Gas as i said has it's place and is useful. if you have a larger party you can be cooking items on your gas grill that do not really pick up much or any flavor from coal such as corn on cob, bake potatoes, most veggies and then that leaves the charcoal grill open to really put the flavor into your party meal.

so there is reasons to own a gas grill. but if you only would need or use a few times a year say less than fifteen i would look at a used grill to restore, to keep the price down and make worth while.

I have been watching for an older Genesis on craigslist locally which I would rehab. So far the few that have popped up have an asking price as much if not more then a new Genesis. I just wanted it for using as an outdoor oven basically.

Back