Boudin Stuffed Chicken Thighs on the OTG

John Sp

TVWBB All-Star
Hello All,

Last weekend was the French Quarter Festival in New Orleans. This is a multi-day free music-food-party festival celebrating the culture of New Orleans. It is a great time (unfortunately I did not get to go). I was reading an article on it on NOLA.com that was discussing some of the new food vendors at this year's fest. I was intrigued by a deep fried stuffed chicken thigh and decided to try it on the grill. The pics below show my take on the dish.

Ingredients Staged (Boneless Thighs Pounded Flat, Spinach, Smoked Boudin, Par-cooked Bacon, & Creole Seasoning)

Rolling Them Up

A few Staged for the Grill

On Direct Over Hot Coals

Moved Indirect for About 1/2 Hour and Then Marinated Zucchini on Direct

Staged for Service

Plated with Steamed California Blend

First Bite

This was a big hit with the family. They really loved it (the wife said anything with boudin and bacon has to be good). It makes for a pretty elegant presentation and I will do it again. I used toothpicks to secure the wrap and bacon. Butcher's twine would have made for a much neater presentation but it would have been a PITA and I was feeling lazy on a Sunday afternoon. Next time around I will remove the boudin from its case to make wrapping easier and I will develop some kind of basting sauce - maybe garlic butter or sometng with fresh rosemary - any ideas?

Thanks for looking! Oh and if you ever get a chance to go to FQF you should definitely do it...

Regards,

John

Last edited:
I bet it was a big hit with the family, it would be hard to find anyone who it wasn't a hit for, great cook!

Yep! that's going in the bucket for sure! I think your idea of a basting sauce is great, got to think about that a little bit.

WOW!!!! that's definitely going in the bucket to do awesome job. A basting sauce would be good with this, time to get creative!

Thanks John, that is what i'll do.
I discovered Boudin while visiting friends in Beaumont Texas (they call it SW Louisiana). They got us fresh made Kolachies (not sure if that is how it is spelled) for breakfast. After that I would have them ship Boudin to me every so often. That gets expensive, so I think making my own is the way to go. I'll have to research a dozen or so recipes before formulating my own. I'm a devout Cajun convert! Now I just need to fit it into my schedule.

Sounds good Matt - I travel through Acadiana a few times a year and always stop in Scott, LA to stock up on boudin & boudin balls so I haven't really tried to make my own yet. I guess I'll get off my behind and give it a try one of these days...

Regards,

John

Sounds good Matt - I travel through Acadiana a few times a year and always stop in Scott, LA to stock up on boudin & boudin balls so I haven't really tried to make my own yet. I guess I'll get off my behind and give it a try one of these days...

Regards,

John

You should have passed through this past weekend, Scott was having it's annual Boudin Festival. I live about 5 minutes away from Billy's and Don's. They are usually the first spots I hit when I decide to cook something on the weekends. They both have a good selection of specialty meats already seasoned ready to go. Plus you can pick up a link of boudin or cracklings to snack on while you're cooking.

Back