pork butts over brisket

AdamKing

TVWBB Fan
I know ive read before about putting pork butt over brisket or vise versa and which is better but ill be damned if i can find it again. So i have a few questions...1. Which is better in your opinion? 2. If i do the butts over the brisket will my brisket still get a good bark? 3. I've never wrapped either of these products and have had pretty good results everytime but im thinking if i did wrap i might turn out a more moist product. Seeings a will be cooking multipe different pieces of meat (two pork butts, a brisket and ribs) i want my timing to be right and was wondering about how much time it would probably cut off my cook if i were to wrap? Ill probably have a hundred more questions about the plan for this cook before it comes but this should be a good start.

I have cooked the two both ways and haven't seen any difference. Both meats had good bark and tasted great. I did foil both at the stall however. Got raves from both meats.

Sounds like you want to do both at the same time? Can you fit both on the same grate? I don't think I'd want one dripping on the other. It maybe harmless, but that's just me

Yeah i was planning on doing them at the same time. I was thinking that if i didnt want one dripping on the other i could put the butts in a foil pan on the top rack but then they would be sitting in their own juices...which may or may not matter...

I put the brisket on top because its easier to check that way. I don't cook competition so I've never thought twice about what goes above what. I've read people cautioning about cooking chicken over other things but i never mix poultry and other meats anyway.

I always put the brisket on the bottom and let the pork fat drip on it, pork fat makes everything better, even beef. When the briskey hits 165ish I split the brisket point from flat and foil brisket pieces, then on top so they are easy to check for doneness

Normally BOB ( Butt Over Brisket ) is what I seen, supposedly the drippings from the butt flavor the brisky, I dunno = never tried it, but would like to.
You could put either on top (in a foil pan) just add a cookie rack or similar to elevate it out of the drippings.
Or cut a piece of parchment paper slightly larger than the roast and add a > on one side away from the lower roast.
Cinch that funnel down in between the grate rods and most of the drippings will follow gravity.

Tim

Thanks for the help. Im not sure what i will do yet, it will depend on how ambitious i get (how many beers i have). It sounds like the general consensus is that the butts over brisket should be fine but if I do put them in a foil pan to elevate them out of the juices?

I'd put the brisket on top just because to me that's the most critical to be able to check easily. I also put sugar in my pork rub but never on a brisket rub so I wouldn't want the sugar falling on the brisket. Honestly I doubt it matters that much.

Im thinking about doing the butts over the brisket in a foil pan elevated out of the drippings with something...dont know what yet. If i can't figure something out i will probably just put the two butts over the brisket and let them drip on it. My only concern is that its TWO butts and that i probably will not be wrapping any of the meat durring the cook so they will be dripping on the brisket throughout the entire cook unless i move the brisket up when its getting close to done that way i can keep an eye on it. What are peoples thoughts on just starting with the brisket up top and letting that drip on the butts throughout the whole cook???.....and i need to stop now im terrible about overthinking this stuff sometimes!

I have done about 7-8 different cooking sessions of butts (varying in total number from 1-3 each time) but never a brisket so I am not as familiar with the time needed for brisket. But my thought is if a brisket does not take as long then it seems like I would prefer that to be on the top to remove first versus having to take teh butt off, then 'access' the brisket and put butt back.

if they cook in about the same amount of time my comment above can obviously be ignored

Back