First crack at Beef Short Ribs

Sam B

TVWBB Member
Every time I pass the meat isle and see beef short ribs it reminds me that I want to try them. Well, I finally pulled the trigger. I found some individual beef short ribs that looked pretty good and gave it a shot.

Since that was all I was cooking I went with the snake method on the kettle vs. the WSM. I seasoned two with Tatonka Dust and two with SPOG.

I cooked them for about 4.5 hours with temps ranging between 230 and 265. I took them off when they were probe tender, which was at about 190 - 195 internal temp

Overall, I though they turned out pretty dang good. To my surprise, I think I like the SPOG'd ones over the Tatonka Dusted ones (but both were really good). I'll definitely be doing these again. Here are some pics of the cook:

Seasoned and ready to go on:
DSC_0426-M.jpg

Tatonka Dusted:
DSC_0438-M.jpg

SPOG:
DSC_0439-M.jpg

About 2.5 hours in:
DSC_0440-M.jpg

Ready!:
DSC_0443-M.jpg

Plated:
DSC_0448-M.jpg

DSC_0447-M.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Magnificent- I happen to be sipping on Woodford Reserve as I peruse this forum this evening, and I wish I had a plate of those ribs to match! I've got some in the freezer though, and their time is coming.

I've never done short ribs, but after looking at these I think I'm definitely going to need to give it a try! Those look awesome. What was it about the Tatonka Dust that you didn't like over salt and pepper. I was going to buy some because people generally rave about it.

Great looking short ribs! I know its expensive but try the whole slab next time! Its fun to cook and its like eating a dinasour bone!

Those look great, I like them as well and usually get them when marked down. They need that slow, slow cook and come out pretty darn tender with major shrinkage.

Your short ribs look real good. I vote for the tatonka dust ones though. It's a regular seasoning here.

I've never done short ribs, but after looking at these I think I'm definitely going to need to give it a try! Those look awesome. What was it about the Tatonka Dust that you didn't like over salt and pepper. I was going to buy some because people generally rave about it.

Don't get me wrong, the Tatonka Dusted ones were really good too. I think I either need to use a little more next time or add a little course salt before putting on the Tatonka Dust. I think it was the course salt on the SPOG ones that got me.

I've been experimenting with the Tatonka Dust and it is a really good, but somewhat unique, seasoning. I think my favorite with it so far is on burgers. I'd say give it a go and see how you like it.

Your beef shorties look good...I could go for some of those (although last time I looked I about fell over when I saw the price!)

Nice work...that snake method works well!

Back