New Countertops And A Celebratory Steak

Phil Perrin

TVWBB Hall of Fame
Our house is not the fanciest,so Pammi and I have been upgrading it almost since we bought it 12 years ago. Fairly soon after we mover in,we ripped out the cheap carpet and put down hardwoods. We also took out the cheap linoleum in the kitchen and bathroom and have put down tile. It's actually pretty reasonable when you do it yourself!
We were going to do a concrete overlay for counter tops in the kitchen. We did it with success in our master bath. But a recent trip to Ikea changed everything! We always look in the "as-is" section before we check out. On our last trip there, we found two nice pieces of butcher block counter tops! A 6' section and an 8' one! Heavily discounted,it was just over $200 for those pieces that normally retail for about $300 for the two! Score! We wound up having to order another 6' section (at full retail,plus shipping! :mad:) But that's okay, because all in all, we got a great deal! Add in a new under mount sink and a faucet, and we are in it for less than $700 !
Here is our kitchen,pre demo.
C024FD52-6DCD-4AA4-9723-79F6FFB8DF49_zpsg7yg0kzf.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
And the opposite side,where the microwave and stand mixer usually reside.
E69056A1-427C-4686-9ACF-C6B5F1343DEB_zpshqpyyipe.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
And,the counter top removed and framing for the under mount sink in place!
694AAFB4-6BB6-4729-A304-02B62C404ADF_zpszly5s17b.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Pammi helped me put the big piece on Friday night! That sucker was heavy!
1A4E1CF4-FDD1-42B1-BA6A-9B0F78A2CABA_zpsegkfzwjt.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
And after MUCH measuring and remeasuring and cutting AND recutting, we got the corner section perfect!
541E1521-3FAA-409D-8145-335BEB7CF9ED_zpsd3db2bxe.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
And, the smaller side counter top in place!
B9DFF80E-D2CF-4BB2-A0C6-7D0932C1A209_zps6qedkn2o.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
And,tada ! With the sink cut out and the faucet installed,it was all done but the plumbing!
AD71039B-4695-4838-8C30-05D3F07C6BE4_zpssloliae7.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Luckily, my buddy works cheap,for beer and burgers! I cooked some burgers last night,but was too tired to get pics!
But tonight,however, I was able to get all the plumbing changed from a double bowl to a sink in only 2 trips to Lowe's! That's a small victory right there! ;)
And after I got it all hooked up and NOT leaking, a celebratory rib eye for dinner on the gasser!
3FAB725C-BC9B-4FA1-9863-57F6ABDEAD40_zps5awfcfol.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
The two 6' pieces are a little lighter in tone than the 8' piece,so we are darkening them up with coffee, then sealing them up over the next few days. I'll have pics of that as they get sealed Thanks for looking!

Last edited:
Great job Phil! Some deals are just too good to pass up! It looks great, and I love the sense of satisfaction when you complete a job like that! The counters and sink all look great!
Tim

Now I know what kind of counters I'd like to upgrade to. I was thinking granite but that looks really nice.

Great job Phil and Pammi! Counters look great! I know its a lot of work but the payoff is worth it. Just one Steak?:D

Can't say much that hasn't been said, but I think you two did great! Barb and I have done four complete kitchen redos and all I'll say is never again! If you do them a little at a time sorta like eating an elephant one bite at a time it's much better then going to bare walls and starting over. Doing the dishes in the bath tub for two months really isn't fun.

Thanks for all the kind words! My buddy has the skills and nicer tools. He did most of the cuts. We ran out of time and are going to tile the back splash this coming weekend.
And Greg,Pammi had weight loss surgery about a year and a half ago. She's lost 150 pounds! That steak fed both of us AND gave her lunch the next day!

Thanks for all the kind words! My buddy has the skills and nicer tools. He did most of the cuts. We ran out of time and are going to tile the back splash this coming weekend.
And Greg,Pammi had weight loss surgery about a year and a half ago. She's lost 150 pounds! That steak fed both of us AND gave her lunch the next day!

That's awesome Phil! Congrats to Pammi!!!

Back