Portuguese Piri Piri Chicken

Bill Schultz

TVWBB Hall of Fame
So after waiting for over two weeks for my shipment I finally got my package from Portugal. Real Piri Piri Spice made with the African Chili (Birds Eye). And all the other spice ingredients.

DSC01307_zpscumd8tev.jpg

DSC01309_zps0gqnabyo.jpg

Leg Quarters rubbed with the spice and in the fridge over night

DSC01310_zpsjxsfedxk.jpg

The basting marinade, 3 tbsp butter, 2 tbsp dried Oregano, two strips of Bacon diced up, 6 cloves of Garlic diced up, 1/4 cup EVOO and 1/4 cup Chicken Broth. 3tbsp Piri Piri. On to simmer for about half an hour.

DSC01311_zpsbd5eaens.jpg

After simmering for awhile 1/4 cup of chopped fresh Parsley and the juice of half a big lemon added

DSC01314_zpsqtxdipwf.jpg

The side tonight, little purple potatoes and one big Yukon Gold cut up small and half a Spanish Onion, small bag of frozen peas, garlic powder Sage Kosher and fresh ground to taste. Drizzle on some EVOO and mix to coat all.

DSC01327_zps6veikh9k.jpg

Before cooking ladle some of your Piri Piri Marinade on the Chix and rub it in by hand (wash your hands real good after)

DSC01328_zpsb0ltwfbg.jpg

Set my WSM up by removing the water bowl, Stubbs charcoal and a couple chunks of Oak. Vents wide open. Every ten to fifteen depending on temp baste with your Piri Piri Marinade. The aroma coming from the dripping marinade and chix juice is incredible.

DSC01330_zpsxbij5ehw.jpg

On the table with the oven roasted potatoes and a nice salad.

DSC01331_zpszp2n65o1.jpg

Tasty looking Piri Piri. Strangest winter here, no snow. Gonna be a bad year in the forests here.

Bill, your Piri Piri looks Very Very good!
I was going to say, put that burden on the beast and head to a warmer climate, but not sure that would be anywhere in the lower 48.

Bill, I really think you missed your inner calling: Williams of Whitehouse.
@Chris: is there some kinda Odor-rama feature you can turn on? I want to smell Bill's chicken!

Last edited:
OK Bill, I'm hungry for dinner and I haven't even had breakfast yet. That looks fantastic. Can only imaging how wonderful it tasted. Very lovely dish!

Bill - Chicken looks incredible!! Have you ever had Portuguese BBQ from Newark - places like Ferry Street BBQ? If so - how does your Piri Piri compare? I've always wanted to replicate that recipe...

Bill - Chicken looks incredible!! Have you ever had Portuguese BBQ from Newark - places like Ferry Street BBQ? If so - how does your Piri Piri compare? I've always wanted to replicate that recipe...

Thanks Jim, I have spent too much time in the Iron Bound section of Newark according to my CEO. The problem with comparisons with those fellows in that Piri Piri has dozens of variations, often times you get it and it has some other chili based heat in it. It's all good to me. Mine came out real good if I do say so, the Bird Eye Chili Pepper from Africa has a very distinctive rich flavor plus what I would call a medium heat, but it's flavor is wonderfully different than any other spice. I have been unable to find the authentic version here in the U.S so I suspect many of the restaurants in Newark are making their own version with standard chili powders.

Thanks Bill....Ferry St. was a guilty pleasure for sure....love watching them cook the meats fast - over the open flame, moving constantly, squirting hot sauce and then hacking away at the chicken and ribs into individual portions. I remember it well. I've asked Portuguese friends and it does seem (the spices) to be a very personal thing. Your's resembles the real deal...going to have to give it a shot. At least as close as I can get! Will report back.

Bill not many people will scour the earth to find the correct spice to make the perfect dish. Now I understand your pursuit of excellence as it shows in all your great dishes.
Thanks for sharing!

W0W! Very Impressive Bill! I'll Bet A Weeks Pay That Chicken Tasted GGGGggggREAT!
And a Very Beautiful Truck I May Add... But NOT likin' that white crud surrounding it....

Dang, Bill! I LOVE Piri Piri and yours is the best looking Piri Piri I've seen.

Bill;
That is a superb lookin' dish! I just may have to copy that one if it ever thaws around here. We have 9" of snow on the ground and it was 20 below zero this morning. Crazy thing - it was 18 below when I got up. An hour later, it was 20 below - with the sun shining!:confused:

From the forecast, I won't be grilling for at least a week! Yeah, I am DEFINITELY over winter!! I can't wait until spring arrives.

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Back