Today's fun

Dwain Pannell

TVWBB Hall of Fame
It was 14*F when I got up this AM. Perfect smoking wx. So....today's projects include a Mojo marinated Coppa for tonight's Cuban Sandwiches, some jerky, Buckboard Bacon, and some naturally fermented pickled cucumbers.

002_zpse330aff8.jpg

First, the Mojo marinated Coppa (aka Money Muscle) on the 14.5" WSM. She's a beauty!

003_zps89a15b6a.jpg

009_zps6be78254.jpg

Then, some jerky to dry and a Buckboard Bacon. I'll increase the temp after the jerky is dried at ~ 100*F slowly increasing thru 150*F.

006_zps707f9749.jpg

Jerky is dry! The smaller portion I used Dale's. Seemed like a good idea at the time but it was more cooked than dried and SALTY! Oh well, the bigger portion was my go-to recipe from a MO Surveyor... and it's perfect, as always.

010_zpse655d551.jpg

Then, I am trying my hand at naturally fermented pickles. Here's my pickling spice mixture.

007_zps99f0e13c.jpg

...all mixed up waiting for the lacto to take over.

008_zpsee27bb3e.jpg

Just waiting on the BB Bacon to be complete.

Last edited:
Looking good so far! Good thing you didn't make too much of the Dales jerky. Although salty is not a bad taste when you have a nice drink nearby.

Great way to fill the day, Dwain!

Maybe I'm a weirdo, but those naturally fermented pickles caught my eye the most! Walk us through that one if you've got a minute.

Nice cookin, Dwain. Where'd you get that huge jar? I'm looking for one like it for pickled eggs at my club's bar.

Nice cookin, Dwain. Where'd you get that huge jar? I'm looking for one like it for pickled eggs at my club's bar.

It would be perfect for that. We got that in Texas at the Container Store years ago.

Here's the pulled pork. We used this on a Cuban Sandwich and we'll have BBQ Pulled Pork sammiches sometime this week.

001_zpsb144a938.jpg

Also, the BBB. I boosted the pit temp to 200*F and once it completed it's low and slow journey to 160*F internal I declared victory. I let it hang dry in the kitchen overnight, sliced, and now it's ready to eat.

002_zps96ae6471.jpg

006_zpsa6f80d41.jpg

Last edited:
The coppa looks fantastic. I've been topping pizza with copicola from the local deli. Looks like yours & theirs are about the same.

The coppa looks fantastic. I've been topping pizza with copicola from the local deli. Looks like yours & theirs are about the same.

One of my fav pizzas is to use some of the home cured BBB, with crispy cooked home cured Bacon, and Pineapple for a Hawaiian Pizza. The hardest part about curing the Coppa (BBB) and/or the slab bacon is the wait.

Last edited:

Back