Ordering my supplies!

J. Rican

TVWBB Member
I just ordered a raspi B from new egg and most other components from Amazon including a new soldering iron and a practice kit to brush up on...

Then I went to buy the kit from tindie at it was sold out!!! I just checked last night and it was still in stock. Oh well, I'm on the waiting list. Hoping to get the one with thermocoupler.

I'll probably be ordering a case soon also, depends on when the parts are available again.

Anyway, I just wanted to say hi and thanks, this seems like a great community, I've been reading the wiki and forums for a couple weeks now.

I have been looking for a Wi-Fi thermostat and this just does so much more, I might just end up upgrading to a BGE eventually.

Thanks Bob and thanks for the enthusiasm, J.!

I depleted the stock at tindie just because I am about to swap from Amber LCDs to "Pure Green" LCDs in this next batch of 50. I didn't want to two I have left to get snatched up at both sites and leave someone disappointed so I disabled the stock at Tindie. They will be back in stock in the green form in a few days, or as Bob said you can get an amber LCD version from the HeaterMeter store. Both will switch to Green LCDs once the two remaining kits are bought.

Nope, same kits, same PCBs. Every time I order LCDs I get a different color just to make things a little different. I am considering making the color an option but the cost of getting 50 LCDs in 6 different colors was prohibitive for startup. I might just solicit suggestions and stock the top 2.

Makes sense. I am going to order a few flat top LED's. Thought they would look cool in the case. Will post pics when I get it done.

Just got my new iron (Weller wes51) and put together my toy kit (velleman super ear kit) flawlessly. After a couple solder points I was back in the groove. Can't wait for my supplies to arrive!

If anyone sees this I am trying to find a bevel tip for my wes51 to do the SMD soldering. I am not finding anything on Amazon. Any recommendations?

I'm going to disassemble and reassemble some old computer components this weekend.

The SMD resistors and caps will be easy enough to solder as long as you can hold them in place while applying the solder. Flux is your friend!

For the small TC amp, I've found it handy to prep the pads by tinning them through the use of a solder wick.

It came with a standard tip. Has an angle on both sides. Doesn't have a fine point to it. Works fine for threw(edit: through) hole but not sure how it will do on SMD. I suppose I could just give it a shot before buying another tip.

I put a syringe of flux and a spool of 2mm wick I in my cart. I like the wick idea.

Plan to get 63/37 lead @3mm solder so I can run the iron a little lower than the lead free stuff I have takes.

Thanks for the tips!

Last edited:
HM components just arrived!! Well probably yesterday but I just got the mail. I'm going to hold off assembling until the rest of my soldering supplies show up...well I'm going to try to wait anyway!

So...I was trying to find my surface mount components for the thermocouple and started to look on the wiki to see what was going on and discovered the thermocouple parts were already soldered to my board!

Easy mode enabled!

This community is so damn awesome!

Last edited:
I'm reviewing components an re-rereading all the instructions and I was initially concerned because the HW sheet has 74LS595 and I got a 74HC595. I checked the wiki part list and it looks like I got the right IC.

I should get my solder and smaller tip tomorrow, can't wait to start. Need to remind myself to go slow because this all seems like it will be easy after reading all the documentation a few times. Really impressed with the documentation.

So anxious I started measuring resistors tonight.

I'm reviewing components an re-rereading all the instructions and I was initially concerned because the HW sheet has 74LS595 and I got a 74HC595. I checked the wiki part list and it looks like I got the right IC.
Oh look at that. The original part was a 74LS595 (TTL logic) but I switched it to an HC (CMOS logic) so it works at 3.3V or 5V. I guess I never changed the device name in the schematic. That's been like that for years!

It is super easy. When I started this project 5 years ago (5 years? golly!) I didn't have much soldering experience so I tried to keep as many things simple as possible. That said I still will put a part in backwards every once in a while, although my soldering has gotten better. The key is to make sure both parts are hot so the solder makes a pool around both sides of the connection rather than clumping to one part. Do it to it!

This has been so much fun. Web interface is working great. On the network, just need my case and probes!!!

Thank you so much for all the hard work that has gone into this amazing diy project!

I guess in hindsight I should probably see "no pit probe" instead of 22°. Guess I'll need to do some troubleshooting tomorrow.

Back