what are the differences in the WSMs, old to new?

Mickey M

Closed Account
What are the differences in the older and new WSMs?

I noticed a difference in the door handles. One looks like a regular handle and another looks like a big button, for example. Which of those is the newer?
Which is better?

Other differences?

As you may have surmised, I'm going to be looking for a used WSM. Is any particular vintage better than others?

Or put differently, is there a vintage I should steer clear of?

Thanks

Last edited:
There is nothing you need to steer clear of. The newer models tend to have some things that most would consider improvements over the older models, but all will serve you well. I assume that you would be willing to buy used given that you are looking at the different "vintages". That's a great way to save money if you can find one. You won't be disappointed at all if you find a used one in good shape for a good price. If you see one, jump on it because it won't last long.

What are the differences in the older and new WSMs?

Or put differently, is there a vintage I should steer clear of?

Thanks

Valid question, and I prefer the older pre 09 WSM's, first because I have one, and second , the newer improvements don't do it for me as far as an upgrade,:)

Tim

Tim, it's not like the price of the WSM rose with "the newer improvements"... what difference does it make if you have a built in therm or not...?
or a silicone grommet for probing or not...?

like the improvements or not, take it or leave it ... the WSM is all about the unit as a whole.
What is to "steer clear of"??

Some of the complaints on the newer one is the deeper water bowl and faulty door handle. Not a big deal if you change out to the brinkman pan and find an aftermarket handle or fix.
Like the OP if I was looking for a used one, I would prefer the older one, but if a newer one was available for a good price, than I would buy it and make some changes.

Tim

Hmmm got my 18.5 used this past summer and I never did check it's age, it does have a thermo in the lid though. All I know is that after I got over my "head up a**ites" and figured out what I needed to do, it works great.

Tim, it's not like the price of the WSM rose with "the newer improvements"... what difference does it make if you have a built in therm or not...?
or a silicone grommet for probing or not...?

like the improvements or not, take it or leave it ... the WSM is all about the unit as a whole.
What is to "steer clear of"??

First, no one's talking about price here other than saving a few bucks by buying a used one.

As far as my question goes, just think about it for a minute.

If I knew all the things there were " to steer clear of" (and I'm sure somewhere down the long line of WSMs that there are) I would not have asked the question. I don't come here to waste my time or anyone else's.

Do you maintain that from oldest to newest ALL WSMs are equal in form, fit and funtion?

Do you maintain that although there have been design and material changes in WSMs they are all entirely equal to each other?

If this were true one would have to wonder why Weber has made changes to doors, door handles and water pans to name a few things.

I understand customer loyalty. Good manufacturers and good products deserve it. But customer loyalty shouldn't include total blindness to faults, minor or otherwise, in a product line.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh yeah, does anyone know why Weber went from a 1 gal. water pan to the 2.5 gal.water pan?

What is beneficial about it? Any drawbacks? It must take up a lot more room than the 1 gal pan. Does it hinder adding fuel due to it's size?

Last edited:
Many WSM owners don't put water in the water pan, and use a different medium for temp control. After all that's what the water is for, to help keep the temperature spikes to a minimum and the overall temp at a steady rate. I don't use water, I use 2 clay plant pot plates, some use sand, and some use nothing at all. I can see how some may have a preference for the type of door handle or built in thermometer or not. Some people even though they may have the newest version of the WSM still purchase aftermarket products such as the Cajun Bandit door to replace the stock door. Gaskets is another thing some decide to add. It's all pretty much up to the owner to decide what he likes or dislikes on his WSM.

Guys, please keep posts friendly. We're here to help each other, not to rub each other the wrong way. Don't like a thread or a poster? Please don't reply.

To answer the original question, Weber introduced a new 18.5" WSM in November 2008 for the 2009 model year. It added a lid thermometer, larger water pan, more sturdy legs with heat shield, redesigned access door, and a tweak to the charcoal grate that closed two gaps on either side that allowed charcoal to fall through.

The water pan increased from 1 gal to 2.5 gal because many people using water or sand as a heat sink were using larger Brinkmann charcoal pans as a replacement water pan in the WSM, preferring its 2 gal capacity. Problem is that in typical fashion, Weber repurposed an existing grill part as the new WSM water pan. The depth of the new pan tends to interfere with piling up charcoal and smoke wood in the charcoal chamber. BBQ champion Harry Soo has covered the heat shield with foil and used it as a replacement empty pan instead of the stock pan when cooking without water. So the edge goes to pre-2009 WSMs when it comes to the water pan design, in my opinion.

Lid thermometer is controversial, not in the sense of whether it's needed, but as to the quality and accuracy. I prefer cooking with a lid therm vs. remote probes, but if you like remote probes then the lid therm matters not to you. I would test the lid therm and if not fairly accurate replace it with an aftermarket model or ignore it.

Legs were made wider so that they would be sturdier. Good improvement. Also retooled to hold the heat shield. Not sure why that was added other than to satisfy someone in the legal department. Yes, the bottom of the bowl does get hot and the heat shield helps protect surfaces below...but so does common sense.

The door was redesigned so that it hangs open from the middle section when opened. The old door would simply fall off the cooker when opened. The old round knob handle had no indicator of when the door was properly latched, so doors thought to be latched might fall off mid-cook, runaway temperature ensues, meat is ruined. New handle visually indicates the closed position. However, it's got a more complicated mechanism that can be problematic. Overall I think the new door and handle are a plus.

In Fall 2013 for the 2014 model year, Weber made two improvements to the cooker. One was the silicone grommet allowing pass-through of probe thermometers into the cooker. The other was adding handles to the bottom cooking grate.

I don't think there are any fit or finish or material issues that pertain to year of manufacture. Unfortunately there are some parts shipped that are out of round, primarily middle sections and charcoal bowls, but that has always happened over the years.

P.S. I documented a lot of this in this article: Weber Bullet History

Chris,

You remind me of Roy Jenks, the archivist at Smith & Wesson. Of course, he gets $50 a pop for writing "Letters of Authenticity" for S&W firearms. He is very well paid for his knowledge and research.

He is a fine and interesting man. I haven't spoken to him in the past few years and the last time we did speak he was recovering from surgery I hope he is OK. He really is a great guy.

Maybe you should begin charging for answering questions but only after you answer this one, of course.:)

ANYWAY, the question is related to the original topic I posted here some days ago, i.e. changes in the WSM.

I picked up an 18.5 WSM today from a real good guy who gave me a very nice deal.

The date code on it is "AA," which, thanks to you, I know dates it as a 2011 model.

Now the question. I was going to print a manual from the list of manuals you provide. Shall I thank you again or are you getting bored with all this gratitude?

When I got to the manuals area, I noticed there were two manuals covering the 2011 model. I read your explanation as to how model years run.

I perused both manuals and I could not detect any difference. The difference, or differences must be like me. Subtle.

Naturally I'm wondering which one I should print.

Process all elimination? First, I guess I have to determine what difference or differences there might in the 2011 model(s) then examine mine again.

If you would be so kind as to tell me what I should look for, I will look at mine again and see which manual I should print.

Thanks. (Sorry, I couldn't help it. That last "thanks" just kinda slipped out).

Last edited:
Most likely you need the 2009-2011 version. I've not done a page by page comparison, but the big difference I see is that the newer one drops several pages of recipes. There are no functional differences between your cooker and the 2012 version, so the manual details should be the same.

But don't pay too much attention to the manual. You'll find better operating methods documented here on the forum and in articles I've written on The Virtual Weber Bullet.

Most likely you need the 2009-2011 version. I've not done a page by page comparison, but the big difference I see is that the newer one drops several pages of recipes. There are no functional differences between your cooker and the 2012 version, so the manual details should be the same.

But don't pay too much attention to the manual. You'll find better operating methods documented here on the forum and in articles I've written on The Virtual Weber Bullet.

In other words, as far as the manual goes, it matters not.

Thanks yet again.

Back