Pepper Stout Beef

Mike Coffman

TVWBB Olympian
This is my version of Larry Wolfe’s Pepper Stout Beef. The players for today’s cook. I seasoned the chuck roast last night
with Top Secret #2 (a rub a friend of mine makes) and Montreal Steak seasoning. I will hit it with a little more pepper and
salt when I get ready to put it on the grill.

I set the Weber Performer up with a snake of charcoal surrounding the Vortex. I have a pie pan half full of water inside
the Vortex. I am using a combination of Pecan and Cherry chunks today.

Chuck roast is on! I will take it to about 165 then put it in the pan with the veggies and other ingredients.

Chuck roast hit 160 and went into a stall so I added it to the veggie combination with the Guinness Stout and Worchestire sauce.

Covered tightly and back onto the grill.

Finally was able to pull it. I had to take it to 207 to get it tender enough to pull. It took 6 hours at an average temperature
of 250 to get it to this point. I pulled it and put it back on the grill to sop up some of the juices. To me this isn’t very unusual
as I have had chuck roasts that could be pulled anywhere between 195 and 205 in the past. Just really depends on the cut
of meat and how much marbling and fat it has. This one was obviously missing some of that fat! And this was also only a 2
pound chuck. I have had better luck with the 3 to 4 pound ones but the store was out of them at the time.

My sandwich with some mustard based BBQ sauce.

Nice and spicy with a little bit of chew!

Back