2001 Genesis silver C rehab/restore Questions

Mary Teal

TVWBB Super Fan
I was given 2 Genesis Silver C 2001 models. One is LP and the other is NG. It's very obvious that both lived a few years out in the elements with no cover.
My goal is to restore the LP, and if possible, steal parts off the NG if they are interchangeable and if needed.
My question is, the manifolds. Since I'm rebuilding in hopes to be in like new condition, should I go ahead and buy a new manifold for $104. from Weber, which also comes with new house and regulator, since I need the new house anyway?
I'm not sure if the manifold even needs replacing or not, but since I'm replacing the burner tubes and cross, I thought maybe it wise to replace the manifold as well??
I have to admit, I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing, but by reading all your posts, looks easy enough..and I can read and follow directions pretty good, and all I'm looking for is a nice Weber gassed to add to my collection of Q's, and I'm totally in love with the quality of the vintage Webers! They just don't make them with that quality anymore, in my opinion.
Any help you can advise me with is most appreciated.

Mary

I was given 2 Genesis Silver C 2001 models. One is LP and the other is NG. It's very obvious that both lived a few years out in the elements with no cover.
My goal is to restore the LP, and if possible, steal parts off the NG if they are interchangeable and if needed.
My question is, the manifolds. Since I'm rebuilding in hopes to be in like new condition, should I go ahead and buy a new manifold for $104. from Weber, which also comes with new house and regulator, since I need the new house anyway?
I'm not sure if the manifold even needs replacing or not, but since I'm replacing the burner tubes and cross, I thought maybe it wise to replace the manifold as well??
I have to admit, I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing, but by reading all your posts, looks easy enough..and I can read and follow directions pretty good, and all I'm looking for is a nice Weber gassed to add to my collection of Q's, and I'm totally in love with the quality of the vintage Webers! They just don't make them with that quality anymore, in my opinion.
Any help you can advise me with is most appreciated.

Mary

Personally, I only replace what is necessary and definitely wouldn't put $100+ into a new manifold unless I knew for certain that there was something wrong with the existing one. Am reasonably sure that propane grill hose/regulators are universal, so would you have access to another one that you could hook to your Genesis to test existing manifold ?

Yeah unless the valves are totally wrecked there is no real reason to buy a manifold or if it was rusted through could happen but I never saw it

I agree with Dave and Michaels, no need to buy a new manifold. Even if the LP manifold was defective you could use the NG manifold, you would only need to change the orifices from the LP to the NG manifold.

You guys ROCK! Thank you so very much for replying!
Up until you 3 replied, I figured on replacing the manifold as I didn't really know the condition of it, and thought since I was replacing the burners and cross and hoses and regulator, I might as well replace the manifold as well, so that way I knew everything was brand new, and I wouldn't get blown up by something I missed upon igniting it. But upon taking the side burner off ( which has never been used, still has the protective white plastic pull sheet, protecting the stainless steel cover) and the control panel, the manifold looks to be in pretty good shape overall. So I went ahead and ordered the 21 inch hose and regulator (oem) off Amazon and since I have Prime, free shipping and it'll be here in 2 days. THANK YOU again for saving me $100. bucks!
Actually, the burners don't look too bad either, abit rusted, but nothing a little sand paper couldn't take care off, but I ordered new stainless anyway, just to look nice and brand new after completed. The flavor bars, same thing, I'm sure very usable, as they are all solid on both grills, but am ordering new stainless from RCplanebuyer on eBay.
I started cleaning up the cookbox, and am super please how well it's cleaning up! So far, it's only required a wire brush and putty knife.
Later today, I'll dig out the pressure washer and see what kind of damage I can do with it, and be ready to paint the cookbox and cart by Saturday morning.
Both carts have real nice pull out plastic type tables, and are in excellent condition. No rust what so ever on carts. So am thinking after this project is completed, I'll take the NG one, and turn it into a table cart.
I'll keep you posted on my progress, as I'm sure I'll have questions. And if any of you need some parts, don't hesitate to let me know, as I only plan to rehab the LP. and possibly the cart on the NG. Thank you once again for the advice!

Mary

Mary, I agree with the guys above, I have only had to replace the burner tubes on mine, and that was just this year. The regulator, manifold and valves are still working fine. I replaced my flavorizer bars with the RC stainless ones and added Porcelain coated Cast Iron grates last yr. Really like the CI over the steel ones!

Hi Doug...
I had to order new hose and regulator because both grill hoses and regs were missing when I acquired them. I'm assuming they were cut off and the regs were added to a scrape metal load as the guy I got these from, was gonna take both grills to the scrape metal yard, until I rescued them.
As you can see above in my last post, I've decided to take all you guys advise, and not replace the manifold until I see if it's needed.. It looks in pretty good shape overall. I'm headed out now, to buy the paint needed for the cookbox ( high temp) and a couple cans of gloss for the cart, and some steel wool.
Thank you for your advise.. I just love this site!

Mary, Good luck on your restore there are many folks that can lend a hand if you run up against something.
If you decide to make a cart out of the other one there are a few posts on different ways of doing it.
Here's a picture of one I did.
carts006_zps8d3181b5.jpg

Hi Rich! That is definitely a beauty!
I decided I could make a table cart out of the NG cart before I saw this picture of your's the other night..
When I clicked on your post and saw this, I immediately yelled "This guy stole my idea!" And I woke the herd of animals up I sleep with! The dog started barking, thinking I was yelling at someone outside the bedroom window, and the 2 cats jumped so high, they scared each other! I guess you had to be there...it was 1:30 am. and I was reading the forums in bed on my tablet..
Even if you did steal my idea long before I even knew I had a idea or a cart for that matter, I'm so glad you posted pics of it.. so now I know what my idea is suppose to look like! :)
My idea instead of using wood slats.. I thought about using a waterproof sheet of plywood cut down, and applying some cool looking tiles to match which ever hood color I decide to go with.. I have a pretty blue as well as a dark green hoods.
I'll probably go with the dark green, as that is one of the U of O duck colors.. Go Ducks! Kinda thing. But that's just in the thought stages. I want to get this project finished first, before I start the cart table. But Damn your's looks beautiful..I just may have to re-think the tiles.

Hi Alejandro!
Third time has to be a charm! This is the third time I have replied to your post, and it's just vanished!
The first one it said it sent..but where it went, is anyone's guess.. So I will make this one short and sweet.
I have been taking a few photos with my cell phone, but have not researched yet how to post photos. Yet.
But I will.
I watched your video on making a mini smoker last night and was/am impressed! What great craftsmanship you have as well as video skills! The whole video had me saying..WOW! the whole way though. In fact, all of you guys who post pics of your projects are very impressive..I can only hope mine comes out a fraction as good looking as the great pics I have seen!
I'll try to send this, and see if it goes though this time. <fingers crossed>

Mary

Just an FYI Mary, but just about ALL of the parts for your two grills should be interchangeable for the most part. Only difference between NG and LP models is the manifold, the orifices attached to the manifold, the hose and the regulator. Burner tubes, flavorizer bars, fireboxes, lids, yada, yada, yada are the same for both.

WRT the burner tubes and flavorizers, being discolored and perhaps even having some rust doesn't mean that they HAVE to be replaced. It's a question of how structurally solid the parts still are. When the burners start rusting to the point where cracks connect the holes in the tubes, THEN they need to be replaced. For flavorizers, it's when holes develop or they are crumbling apart.

Of course, if you are putting some effort into it, you might opt to replace these with shiny new parts. IF you do, go ahead and give the old tubes and flavor bars a good cleaning and hang on to them if you have the storage space as they might come in handy down the road.

I've reused older tubes, bars and grates when finding grills on the cheap for friends and family members.

Hi Alejandro!
I watched your video on making a mini smoker last night and was/am impressed! What great craftsmanship you have as well as video skills! The whole video had me saying..WOW! the whole way though. In fact, all of you guys who post pics of your projects are very impressive..I can only hope mine comes out a fraction as good looking as the great pics I have seen!
I'll try to send this, and see if it goes though this time. <fingers crossed>

Mary
Hi Mary, you have me confused with someone else, I'm a newbie some has also been bitten by the restoration bug but now I'm curious about that video you are talking about, could you send me the link in a private message? I have to agree with Dave, keep those burners for a future project, I'm pretty sure this won't be your last restoration!

Hi Mary, you have me confused with someone else

I'm sorry Alejandro, when I read you weren't the the Alejandro who made that video I was kinda confused for a minute, cause I knew I had looked at the name, as Alejandro is my ex son in laws name.. but I went hunting for that video and I am only half sorry now, ( just kidding) as the guy who did the video his name is Alejandro, but with no initials by his name!
I wish I could PM you the link where the video is, and if my lap top didn't have a problem, I surely could, but for the last couple weeks, I have been using my kindle HDX, and I have no clue how to cut and paste with this Damn thing. I can however, tell you where to find it..cruise the forums directory and click on WSM smokers and mine's. On my tablet, it on the second page. Can't miss it. I hope this helps some.
And oh! BTW, your not suggesting to keep the parts and have me do a rehab on the NG one are you? :)
I'll tell you up until this morning, I would have said no way, I'm only doing the one, and maybe making a table cart out of the others cart...but today, I worked again cleaning the cookbox, and that thing is coming so clean with just a water hose, a wire brush the size of a bigger tooth brush and a putty knife, I'm seeing bare aluminium on most of the inside!
I did however, spray a little oven cleaner on a couple tough spots when I quit for the evening, and hopefully the cookbox will be ready to pain Saturday morning.

Last edited:
Good Evening Dave..

Don't worry I won't throw away any parts to the Q's. I figure someone on the this board might need a part or two, and I can help them as a thank you to everyone for walking me through and advising me on this project.
What I have discovered today, all flavor bars are rock solid but rusty and on a couple of them I thought I saw maybe some shiny stainless peeking though, but I really didn't spend any time on them, as I had already made my mind up on shiny new stainless burners and grates. I want her to look Purdy...bragging rights, don't cha know.. :)
I can't believe how easy the cookbox was to clean! I've got it down to bare aluminium I would say 93% with just a couple hard spots, and I shot those with oven cleaner and I'll see how it worked in the morning.
I have to say though, I have not sweat like I did today working on it, since I retired 2 years ago! I'm sure my arms will ache a bit in the morning, as I cleaned that box with nothing but a wire brush, putty knife and a garden hose.. but it sure felt good getting out and doing manual labor again like I did at job for 27 years.
Again Dave, thank you for all the advice, and please keep it coming when you think of something. I need all the help I can get, as I am only going off of pictures and details from the forum...but so far, this has been a piece of cake! So. Far.

Mary

Last edited:
Good Evening Dave..

Don't worry I won't throw away any parts to the Q's. I figure someone on the this board might need a part or two, and I can help them as a thank you to everyone for walking me through and advising me on this project.
What I have discovered today, all flavor bars are rock solid but rusty and on a couple of them I thought I saw maybe some shiny stainless peeking though, but I really didn't spend any time on them, as I had already made my mind up on shiny new stainless burners and grates. I want her to look Purdy...bragging rights, don't cha know.. :)
I can't believe how easy the cookbox was to clean! I've got it down to bare aluminium I would say 93% with just a couple hard spots, and I shot those with oven cleaner and I'll see how it worked in the morning.
I have to say though, I have not sweat like I did today working on it, since I retired 2 years ago! I'm sure my arms will ache a bit in the morning, as I cleaned that box with nothing but a wire brush, putty knife and a garden hose.. but it sure felt good getting out and doing manual labor again like I did at job for 27 years.
Again Dave, thank you for all the advice, and please keep it coming when you think of something. I need all the help I can get, as I am only going off of pictures and details from the forum...but so far, this has been a piece of cake! So. Far.

Mary

Mary, a belated congrats on the restore job you are doing. With regards to the flavorizer bars and burners, I can certainly understand wanting to go with shiny new ones on your restore. Here's the thing though. After 1 year of use, those "shiny new" flavorizer bars and burner tubes are going to be discolored and might even start to look like they are rusty. I just want to be sure that you understand that being discolored and perhaps even a bit rusty doesn't mean that they no longer work and they HAVE to be replaced.

Another thing that crossed my mind is that you are new to the restore game and therefore, might also be new to how things sometimes work on Craigslist. Some people actually give these old Weber's away for free for various reasons. You might find one for free in 2 months where the flavorizer bars and burner tubes have completely rusted out. For anyone else, that would require close to a $100 investment to fix. IF you just so happened to have an old set of burners and bars laying around, your investment would be a whopping $0 to get the grill back in working order. It wouldn't look as pretty, but I'd bet that you have a friend or two who would love to have a free Weber, or you could actually flip the thing on CL for a small profit once it was in clean working order.

Oh, another FYI for you. The Silver C and the Silver B both use the same size grates, same burners and same flavorizer bars. Here's a basic rundown:

Genesis A = 2 burner model. Grates, flavorizer bars and burner tubes are shorter.
Genesis B = 3 burner model.
Genesis C = Genesis B plus the addition of a side burner.

Further more, main difference between Silver and Gold is that the Grill hood on the Silver's is Colored porcelain (black, blue, green, red, etc) while the hood of the Gold model's is Stainless Steel.

So, you could take the guts from a Genesis Silver B and put them into a Genesis Gold C, or vice versa.

One last thing. If you really get into this, a $15 Angle Grinder from Harbor Freight is a great investment!!!!! It will clean up a firebox, paint and rust in no time!!

Dave, your the best! Thank you so much for your advice and input! Yes! I'm well acquainted with craigslist, in fact I search every morning while having my coffee, for a performer. Why I want a performer, no reason, except I want one..I have a 22.5 OTG which I love to pieces, and I bought brand new, but I got a hankering for a performer, I just can't let go of..so I search craigslist, twice a day, morning and night.
You know, the more I work on this thing, I can't help to think this grill at one time was either taken care of really well or has be in rehab before, cause just been a dream to clean up.. I think what may have happened, my friend may have scrounged these two grills from someone years ago, for the metal, and just let them sit in the weather out in his Sanford and Son backyard for years. I snatched both grills from his trailer load headed to the scrape metal yard a couple weeks ago.
But like I said, the LP one, has been such a dream to clean up, I can't help but think it was truly loved at one time before my friend got a hold of it. The LP came with 2 sets of grates..the porcelain enamel ones, which look to be only used a couple times, and a set of cast iron, which of course are rusted to hell, but solid as a rock.. like I said earlier, all 10 flavor bars from both grills are solid as well, just rusty looking..and a couple even look to be stainless at one time. I have not gotten to the point yet to clean them up yet...still working on the cookbox. Baby steps don't cha know!
Thank you for the heads up on the harbor freight angle grinder! I just happen to be headed in that direction this afternoon, and I will stop in and buy one.. I just have a funny feeling, this won't be my last rehab. :)
I have a question on painting..
Do I paint the inside of the cookbox since I have it down to mostly bare aluminium? I know not to do the hood..but the inside of the box is questionable. I have seen photos of it painted, but I'm not into eating paint fumes and chemicals, and wondered i I could just like oil the inside box down with veggie oil or canola to stop any oxidation till I'm ready to cook on it?
I realize, least I think, once I start using it, it will take on a season, just like what I have taken off...
What's your thoughts?
I'm hoping to start painting tomorrow morning.. as the weekend temps are going back into the high 90's..good drying weather. I figure I'll paint in morning cool and let dry all day, and throw another coat on next morning, and let it dry all day..
After that..I'm off to the races putting this girl back together and trying it out!

Mary

Last edited:
Oh, no, no, no. Definitely no paint inside the cookbox, either upper or lower. Just clean it up, hit with with some oil or pork fat and start burning it in.

Nice score on the cast iron grates, as those are my favorites. Will take a bit of work but they should clean up nicely if they just have some surface rust. There are a number of chemical cleaners you can use, or electrolysis, or just some good wire brushing with the angle grinder.

Thank You, Sir Dave!
I was in the know about under the hood, but was not so sure about inside the cookbox itself. I just knew I gave up eating chemicals years ago, and really didn't want to taste paint with my ribeye steak. I have a jar of bacon grease in the freezer, I'll coat it thinly with that.
I'm on my way to the harbor freight side of town in a few minutes, any kind of special brush heads I should pick up for that angle grinder?
Thank you again for all your help..

Mary

Dave, your the best! Thank you so much for your advice and input! Yes! I'm well acquainted with craigslist, in fact I search every morning while having my coffee, for a performer. Why I want a performer, no reason, except I want one..I have a 22.5 OTG which I love to pieces, and I bought brand new, but I got a hankering for a performer, I just can't let go of..so I search craigslist, twice a day, morning and night.
You know, the more I work on this thing, I can't help to think this grill at one time was either taken care of really well or has be in rehab before, cause just been a dream to clean up.. I think what may have happened, my friend may have scrounged these two grills from someone years ago, for the metal, and just let them sit in the weather out in his Sanford and Son backyard for years. I snatched both grills from his trailer load headed to the scrape metal yard a couple weeks ago.
But like I said, the LP one, has been suck a dream to clean up, I can't help but think it was truly loved at one time before my friend got a hold of it. The LP came with 2 sets of grates..the porcelain enamel ones, which look to be only used a couple times, and a set of cast iron, which of course are rusted to hell, but solid as a rock.. like I said earlier, all 10 flavor bars from both grills are solid as well, just rusty looking..and a couple even look to be stainless at one time. I have not gotten to the point yet to clean them up yet...still working on the cookbox. Baby steps don't cha know!
Thank you for the heads up on the harbor freight angle grinder! I just happen to be headed in that direction this afternoon, and I will stop in and buy one.. I just have a funny feeling, this won't be my last rehab. :)
I have a question on painting..
Do I paint the inside of the cookbox sinc I have it down to mostly bare aluminium? I know not to do the hood..but the inside of the box is questionable. I have seen photos of the painted, but I'm not into eating paint fumes and chemicals, and wondered i I could just like oil the inside box down with veggie oil or canola to stop any oxidation till I'm ready to cook on it?
I realize, least I think, once I start using it, it will take on a season, just like what I have taken off...
What's your thoughts?
I'm hoping to start painting tomorrow morning.. as the weekend temps are going back into the high 90's..good drying weather. I figure I'll paint in morning cool and let dry all day, and throw another coat on next morning, and let it dry all day..
After that..I'm off to the races putting this girl back together and trying it out!

Mary

Back