Comfort Food Saturday - Meatloaf

Jose Suro

TVWBB All-Star
Hi all,

These days anything ground beef is not easy, both meatloaf and burgers because of the cooking temperature requirements. I've done a couple of meatloaves on the grill that were never photographed because they were fails.

Well, my wife took some of the meatloaf I cooked Saturday to her Mom and today Grandma called me to ask me for the recipe. When Grandma calls you for a meatloaf recipe you now it was good :). I did a lot of research on this and it paid off. It's a combination of recipes and my own musings. It worked out perfectly. The texture and taste are really important and I did lot of research and work on those. It paid off. My wife thought it was so good she did not want any sauce on it! And I did a special sauce for it, which I thought came out excellent as well.

The cook was done on the Performer at around 325~375. This is a critical temperature to develop a nice crust/bark on the loaf. Cooked it to 160 degrees and sauced it twice between 150 and 160. Total cook time was around 1.5 hours.

The loaf as it went in. It was a big one. Over 2.5 pounds. I set the tinfoil underneath it so it would drain the fat on one side only and into a pan under the grates.
i-NkR9Kr3-XL.jpg

After 1.5 hours and sauced. Waiting for the sauce to set.
i-MTfHqzd-XL.jpg

And plated with garlic smashed and salad, fresh ground pepper on top.
i-qJMmf8s-XL.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Best,

Jose

That's a beauty of a 'loaf, Jose! If there's any leftover meatloaf, I bet it would make for a great sandwich.

That is one awesome looking meatloaf and like you said if Grandma asked for the recipe it had to be good!!!

Jose, that is one awesome meat loaf you did it right. There is nothing like meat loaf on the Performer, its the only way I do mine now.

Well... What's the recipe? Looks fantastic!

Thanks!! Here's the recipe:

Performer Meatloaf Recipe

Grandma will ask you for the recipe!

2 to 2.5 pounds of ground chuck 80/20

In a large bowl mix well in this order:

1. 2 eggs lightly beaten
  2. ½ cup 2% milk
  3. ½ cup ketchup
  4. 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire
  5. 1 teaspoon dry oregano
  6. ½ teaspoon garlic powder
  7. Fresh ground pepper to taste
  8. 1 & ½ small/medium onions chopped fine
  9. 1 small green pepper chopped fine
  10. 1 scallion finely sliced
  11. 2/3 cup Saltine crackers finely crushed

Add ground chuck on top of the mixture without breaking it up and liberally sprinkle with

Lawry’s Garlic Salt.

Mix meat and ingredients well with your hands and then place on tinfoil and form the loaf. Place in the fridge for at least a half hour. Pull it out of the fridge when the grill is ready and reform the loaf. Compress it a bit more as it relaxes while in the fridge. This yields a smoother more solid texture. At this point lightly sprinkle the loaf with:

Weber’s Gourmet Burger Seasoning

Fire up the grill for indirect grilling. I use one full load of coals in a single Weber basket set to one side. And I don’t light all the coals before the loaf goes on. I have the gas assist. If you don’t just light six to eight coals and add those to the Weber basket. Place an aluminum pan on the bottom of the grill to catch all the fat and drippings. Put the grates on and add one small/medium sized chunk of Hickory. Place the loaf on the indirect side aluminum foil and all, then cut one side of the foil so that all the fat and drippings fall off that side only, into the pan below. No mess grilling :).

Cook the loaf at 325~375 degrees until 160 degrees internal (about 1.5 hours). High temperature is essential to develop a nice crust/bark on the loaf. Sauce twice between 150 and 160 degrees and let the sauce set. Use your favorite sauce or here’s mine (it's meatloaf, not ribs:)):

1. ½ cup Ketchup
  2. One 8-ounce can Hunt’s “no salt added” tomato sacuce
  3. 2 teaspoons light brown sugar
  4. ½ cup Cattlemen’s “Master’s Reserve” Kansas City Classic BBQ Sauce.

Mix well then warm upon the stove. Glaze the loaf while on the grill. Let the loaf rest for half an hour before slicing. Then brush more sauce on each individual slice.

Hope you all enjoy it!!

All the best,
Jose

Back