First Cook on my WSM 1880

Bob Whitney

TVWBB Fan
Gave it a test drive today and it passed with flying colors. The thighs took 1 1/2 and the temp held steady at between 255 and 270. Had to re-fill the water bowl once. Decided to just let it run after the thighs were done. Ran for 8 hrs with a full basket but I had to shut it down to go to work. Probably didn't have much mor than an hour left in though. Thanks for looking.

Done

Nice looking birds, what did you use to remove the dirt and grime off the 1880?

Hey Steve, check out this thread http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?54495-E-code-WSM-Yard-Sale-find .

Gave it a 2 Day Bath in Dawn and Oxy Clean. most of it just wiped away. For the real bad stuff I use a SOS Pad and a razor blade. Yup, it works and it doesn't scratch the porcelain at all. For the rusted legs and inside hardware an SOS pad remove most off the rust. The rest I used a drill and a wire wheel. I didn't mess with the hardware, just went to HD and bought all new SS.

Your chicken and the 1880 both look great Bob! The only thing I might have done differently, especially after your super clean up would have been to foil the water pan. It would be interesting to see your 20 dollar 1880 next to a new 14.5 WSM. For sure I would like the wood handle better.

Back