I finally bit - I think it's an old Genesis for $65

Clint

TVWBB Olympian
I checked Craigslist this morning and found this for $75 - I only took $85 forgot to get change, and he let me have it for $65.

The push button ignition doesn't work, the grates look good, there was a bunch of baked on stuff on a removable tray that slid off...

I was surprised that one of my 3 propane tanks was still full after all these years.

10645237_10202664144266680_6381821711796172540_n.jpg

10342424_10202664144746692_3306524380855578006_n.jpg

what should I check for or do? The flames seem a little weak but it gets so hot I can't imagine it getting any hotter... Do I clean the tubes (they look clean)? Blow them out with an air compressor??? I've been reading threads on rehabbing these, I don't think I'll tear too far into it.

I've read about spiders building nests in the burners - where would they get into it? I read in another thread there were venturi screws somewhere???? I'm really clueless here :)

also, what model is this? I'm guessing silver B? (c I take it has the side burner).... I'd like to see the parts diagram so I can find the part # for the ignitor ----- it's just a simple one - no battery, and only one spark

Looks to be a silver B. look under the manifold side where the burners slide into the manifold you'll see what looks fine screen that covers the venture opening for the air intake, one for each burner. If that's intact your good to go that's what keeps the spiders out.
While your under there look for the ID sticker it will have the model # and the serial # which will have the date code on it.
For parts try here http://www.ereplacementparts.com/?osCsid=s6k5vvpt7i5s11m8qr7kiekfv4

There should (may) be a sticker with a serial # on it, underneath the control panel. Weber CS can date and and tell you what model you have, from that #. Or wait for Chad to find this post :)

I was reading some posts last night, I just looked at my burner tubes & the first one had a little build up so I took a wire brush & all the holes are now fully open....and the push button ignitor works :)

No sticker that I could see. I also noticed the fuel tank guage, how it's pretty much a weight scale it hangs on -

I'm really enjoying this so far........got it last night and I've cooked 4 meals on it so far.

Mine didn't come with a drip pan / grease catcher.....nothing below the circular hole on the removeable bottom panel. I've lined the bottom with foil but I'd like to get the official parts--what do you use to catch the grease?

I'm guessing this thing is from 2000-2001 judging from what I had to enter at the weber site to find the manual: http://c929377.r77.cf2.rackcdn.com/Genesis_SilverB_LP_OwnersGuide_55008_032101.pdf

Guessing these will be in stock at home depot / lowes / ace

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000WEPH98/tvwb-20

Last edited:
Clint,

On the right hand side of the grill is a piece of molding. If you look underneath from the right side, you should see two screws that hold the molding in place. Unscrew those. Next, pop off the 3 control knobs and then you can lift the control panel cover off. Somewere on this panel should be a serial number and a model #. Either of those numbers will lead to identifying exactly which year/model Silver B you have.

Parts List:

7508 stainless burner tube kit
$44
Flavorizer Bars $54
7509 igniter kit $11
7515 catch pan & holder $20
7526 porcelain enameled cast iron grates $66

$195 in parts so far + $65 for the grill - lol ($261 total)...only other thing is maybe the manifold (weber 62182) - a couple of the knobs don't do the press / twist thing so smooth....like they need to be lubed but I don't want to use the wrong lubricant.

Crack-sessories: GrillPro 00150 smoker box - since I'm missing that good smoke flavor

Last edited:
Congrats and have fun!

All I want to say is the members on any forum make the community! I love the familial atmosphere here! Thanks to everyone for sharing your knowledge!

Clint, you got the right FBs from rcplanebuyer you'll probably never need another set. Good stuff!

Clint, you got the right FBs from rcplanebuyer you'll probably never need another set. Good stuff!

I could've held off on them but I started looking into them, found those, and decided to get em so I didn't have to look again...... This is the part that sold me: " I have used my stainless bars for over 5 years now and they show no signs of corrosion or decay."

I'm going nuts cooking on this thing - every meal almost.....I even almost made granola on it (cooked in the oven for 90 minutes @ 250f). Still learning how to work it, should come quick.

***if anyone knows the burner tube part # please share......think I'll replace that while I'm at it.

And now for your viewing pleasure :)

10363675_10202679666694731_3482568646069112112_n.jpg

10629808_10202679666454725_447647094599272557_n.jpg

Last edited:
I'm kind of torn about using "genuine Weber" replacement tubes given their cost and that I don't know that they are any better than third party "aftermarket" tubes that you can get on Amazon or Ebay for a much lower cost.

The ones you're speaking of are VERY thin gauge and inferior material. You get what you pay for

The ones you're speaking of are VERY thin gauge and inferior material. You get what you pay for

LM, you don't always "Get what you pay for" as evidenced by genuine Weber SS flavorizer bars being more expensive than those from RCPlanebuyer, even though they are of inferior quality.

I could guess that the less expensive burner tubes aren't as good as the one's from Weber, but I don't know that for a fact. It could very well be that as with other parts, Weber's prices are somewhat inflated.

I would hardly call the Weber bars "inferior". Yes RC does a GREAT job. Above and beyond really. But I've never seen a set of original Weber SS bars ever go bad either. So yes IMO for the most part you get what you pay for.

I would hardly call the Weber bars "inferior". Yes RC does a GREAT job. Above and beyond really. But I've never seen a set of original Weber SS bars ever go bad either. So yes IMO for the most part you get what you pay for.

The very first set of bars I bought from RCPlanebuyer replaced the stainless steel flavorizer bars that came with my Genesis Gold C. The reason I replaced them is that they were crumbling apart after 5 or so years of use. No real complaints as 5 years is pretty good, but RCPlane's have lasted longer and are still in really good shape.

The very first set of bars I bought from RCPlanebuyer replaced the stainless steel flavorizer bars that came with my Genesis Gold C. The reason I replaced them is that they were crumbling apart after 5 or so years of use. No real complaints as 5 years is pretty good, but RCPlane's have lasted longer and are still in really good shape.

We want pictures! I went with the weber gas tubes just because I had more confidence they'd work as designed. I'm sure the others are probably just as good, I'm just rolling the dice (not a big deal) hoping to improve something that doesn't really need it :)

.....and yes, I cooked 2 meals on it today :)

Back