Jake's New Gasser, Broil King Baron 4 Burner

Jake Wilson

TVWBB Fan
This has been a long time coming...me, buying/trying out/using/owning an outdoor gas grill. All of my grills have either been charcoal and or wood, I've never owned or used a gas grill, but I've been wanting to. Last Friday, the wait was finally over when I dropped by Lowe's in Ocala and purchased this Broil King 4 burner Baron. I took this pic yesterday (Sunday), when Lowe's delivered it

utf-8Qpicture750_zpsff610a98.jpg

A little background on me...I'm pushing 58, first charcoal grill of substance I remember buying was a Weber kettle (22") around 1980. I had a few cheesy Hibachis and fold up coal grills but the Weber kettle was the first quality grill we bought and used. My wife and I purchased it for use on the job when we were managing a family business in Brighton MI (Target Golf), a golf driving range with hardball batting cages and an 18 hole miniature golf course. Tiring of the local fast food fare, we now had (with the Weber), a way to grill burgers, dogs and the occasional steak

In 85', when we made the move to the lower Fla. Keys, the Weber moved with us, while we rented a 2/1 home right on the Ocean in Summerland Key while searching for property to buy. When we found a dry acre on Big Pine and moved there in 86', the Weber came with us, and served us well the next 12 + years

Fast forward to 98' when we found and bought property in north central Fla., that very same Weber moved with us again, but eventually the bottom burned out, and or rusted out and we moved on to a New Braunfels horizontal smoker/charcoal grill with the off set wood fire box. Anyways, the New Braunfels was one of the cheapies and it too bit the dust and we acquired the charcoal grill I have been using, which we like and use a lot, and so I'm opening a new chapter with this Broil King gasser

FWIW, I did what I thought was a bunch of research before finally setting my sights on the above (and below, pics of) grill

utf-8Qpicture752_zps1f9af30a.jpg

here's a view of the grilling area with the lid open. the warming rack removes easily for more access

utf-8Qpicture749_zps9bbf2c86.jpg

the grates, although cast iron, are coated w/a porcelain enamel, and are two sided. the above pic shows the searing side of the grate, that will leave a score/line in your food

utf-8Qpicture748_zps9fb96877.jpg

the other side channels and traps juices from the food, in order to baste, according to Broil King's verbiage

I removed the grates and washed them in warm soapy water, rinsed well using hot water then placed in my house kitchen oven after getting it to 300 degrees Fahrenheit, then shutting it off and placed the grates in the oven to dry. While still warm I covered the grates with olive oil then wiped excess oil off. Meanwhile I did a burn in for the grill w/o the grates in place to burn off any manufacturing oils, as prescribed in the owner's manual

One of the reasons I was wanting a gas grill was so I could use my Euro-Q griddle, over a constant heat source

utf-8Qpicture747_zpsae4694c7.jpg

I bought this griddle during a group buy over at Woot.com. I've been using it on my charcoal grill and have been quite happy with the food cooked on the griddle

utf-8Qpicture753_zps7cbf98f4.jpg

Last night I griddled sliders on the Euro-Q (on the Broil King), so this was the first meal created on my new to me gas grill

Actually, I was trying to emulate the 5 Guys Burgers, burger that Ballistic BBQ highlighted in one of his videos. I weighed out 3.5 ounces of ground chuck, ending up with 7 patties from the pack I got from Publix, like Greg, I sandwiched the mounds of ground chuck between parchment paper, smashing two at a time down using the bottom of a flat one quart stainless steel bowl, used as my burger press

I sourced Deli style American cheese from the Publix deli, and used a slice atop each burger. I grilled the onions first in some popcorn butter topping (as my oil), then shuttled the onions off to one corner of the griddle while the 7 burgers occupied the rest of the griddle realty. Hard to see but I went 3 rings around the bottom bun half with ketchup, then two rings of mustard, 5 sweet pickle chips, then two burgers went on each bun bottom followed by a generous amount of grilled onions. The lone small single burger w/o cheese was for the house pooch, but she didn't get slighted...I shared quite a few bites from my 1.5 burgers, with her. Since there were 3 double burgers to be split between myself and Mrs. Jake, we each had one and a half. This was a nice recipe making tasty burgers. If you can think of it and haven't seen it already, check out Ballistic BBQ's video on the 5 Guys burger

utf-8Qpicture751_zpsa30cdcac.jpg

I forgot to mention...this gas grill comes with a side burner. Broil King's literature for the side burner says to use no more than a 9" pan. I have my 10" cast iron pan sitting on it and it fits okay. the side burner puts out 10 K BTU's so I have an idea it should be able to get this pan hot as I want to use it, but we'll see...I like cooking a few steak dishes in this pan and would love to take that mess out of my home kitchen and put it on this outside grill

I didn't check this forum to see if anyone here has done a review on Broil King's Baron gas grill. I'll be happy to answer questions if anyone has any. That said, since joining this forum, I've never been able to receive post notifications to my inbox. Chris, the site owner told me I would not be able to receive notifications from this board to my inbox (PC, phone, tablet), as I use MSN as my email client, and I also cannot get notices sent to my TVWBB inbox. I'll try to keep an eye on this thread however, but if you ask a question and I don't answer, try sending me a PM, I have been receiving those from other members

I'll be happy to post information about this gas grill as I learn it. I wanted to buy the rotisserie kit for it ($50 from Lowe's) but that kit was OOS. I did pay for one at the time of sale. I'm not sure if they will send that kit directly to me or if I'll have to go back to the store to pick it up. Lowe's assembled this grill and delivered it @ N/C. they also offered to pick up an old grill if I had one, also @ N/C. I paid their advertised price of $499 which also included 20 lbs. of LP Gas for it, though I had to pay the bottle deposit, and I carried that bottle of gas out of the store with me last Friday, as their delivery truck is not certified for gas deliveries

Before I forget, I also purchased a generic 58" grill cover (Master Forge, $25), that was delivered along with the grill. The floor guy in the grill dept. told me that in his opinion, the $25 grill cover was the way to go, instead of paying more for Broil King's specific cover for this grill

I have to admit, and maybe it's because this grill is new, I plan on keeping the grill when not in use, inside my attached garage, and not out in the elements. I'll have to do some re-arranging in the garage for long term storage yet the casters this grill rides on rolls so smoothly, it's effortless to move in and out of the garage. All four casters have a locking feature that is easy to use, and the two at the front have level legs that screw up and down

Getting back to the research I did before buying this particular grill, I dunno...it just seemed to be the right grill for me at this time. If I had stupid money to blow on a gas grill, I would have waited and purchased a drop in DCS grill in the covered outdoor cooking area I have schemed up inside my head. This Broil King may be a temporary grill, or it may be a keeper. We may have time for one more project her at Casa Jake's before the year's over. *I*, not Mrs. Jake, have been wanting to build some type of covered area near to the house so I can grill and BBQ outside w/o having to contend with the rain. Current think says I'll do a pole barn type structure...pour a slab, w/electric and water, use 12 by 12 uprights, match the roof to what the house has, the rest is a blank slate. I'd like to do some countertops but where do I draw the line?...will it include refrigeration of some sort? Not sure, and what about other storage under the counters? Discussing this could be another post

1st problem w/the Baron

Cool grill Jake...congrats.

~~~Thanks Tony!...we're looking forward to using it along side our other outdoor grills and smokers...

I forgot to mention in my original post...this gril wasn't heating up as high as it should...I only saw 400 degrees when burning it in, when it's supposed to hit 600 + Fahrenheit, during the 10 minute pre-heat. I knew that was good enough for burgers so I went forward with that cook, and decided to investigate sometime this morning

What I found...the flames coming from the burner tubes were only 1/4" in height...the manual says they need to be 1". Their trouble shooting said to disconnect the regulator from the LP tank, leave it undone for a few minutes, to see if the excess flow safety device was activated. After re-hooking up, still no change, still no more than 400 degrees

I phoned their customer service. The tech said since all four burners flame height is the same, it's their determination the regulator is bad. The tech has one in the mail to me & said I'd have it in 5 to 7 days (it's being shipped from Canada)

I'll leave the steaks we bought to do up on this grill, I'll do them up on my trusty charcoal grill...the one w/o limitations

My mom and dad had a Broil-Mate gasser for many years -- I believe it was made by Broil-King.

It gave them very good service and was a good value.

My only complaint about the grill was the burner valves had a very small amount of twist between Max and Min... which made temp setting a challenge.

My only complaint about the company was difficulty getting replacement burners; but it is hard to know if it was the local shop where I ordered them, or the US distributor, or the company.

I'm sure it will give you many years of good service, and will last far longer than the Char-Broil and other low-cost products that the big-box retailers sell.

My mom and dad had a Broil-Mate gasser for many years -- I believe it was made by Broil-King.

It gave them very good service and was a good value.

~~~Yes!, the Broil Mate 4 burner is identical to 4 burner Broil King

http://www.broilmatebbq.com/index.html

I believe the parent company does this so they can overlap the same product within the same market. Or, they'll sell one grill in one market and use a different name but the same grill somewhere else. Quality Espresso does that with their coffee (espresso) makers

My only complaint about the grill was the burner valves had a very small amount of twist between Max and Min... which made temp setting a challenge.

~~~I read about this (complaint) on the ehow site...ehow was quoting consumer reports. Because I like to experiment, I'll try doing some indirect cooking using maybe one or two of the four burners, to see if that will keep the temps lower, now it could be because the full range is only 180 degrees on the valve, the burners wont put out low heat. Besides only using one or two burners, I think I may try raising the hood a little, to let heat escape, if the heat wont stay below a certain amount

My only complaint about the company was difficulty getting replacement burners; but it is hard to know if it was the local shop where I ordered them, or the US distributor, or the company.

~~~I asked the tech at Broil King if I could buy spare parts directly through the manufacturer, or if I had to buy through the retailer I purchased the grill from...the answer was I could use either or, now a full parts manual came with this grill so I have access to every part number

I'm sure it will give you many years of good service, and will last far longer than the Char-Broil and other low-cost products that the big-box retailers sell.

~~~One thing I plan on doing to increase longevity is leave it in my attached garage when I'm not actually cooking with it, and I'll try to remember to wipe down the exterior with a cleaner polish, in an attempt to keep surface rust at bay

~~~One thing I plan on doing to increase longevity is leave it in my attached garage when I'm not actually cooking with it, and I'll try to remember to wipe down the exterior with a cleaner polish, in an attempt to keep surface rust at bay

Jake, If your garage has a concrete floor get a mat to park the grill on to isolate the grill from the concrete. Concrete wicks moisture from the ground and it is quite corrosive because of all the chemicals in the concrete. The mat will save your grill from getting a rusty bottom.

Jake;
I had to replace the burners on my gas grill after a couple seasons of use. After the new burners were installed, I couldn't get the grill up to heat. Naturally, I thought the new generic burners were at fault. However, I learned that the government mandated "safety" on the regulator was the problem.

On this forum, a gentleman whose business is propane stated that when you shut the grill down, you should turn off the tank first. After the flames die out, THEN shut the burners off. Then, next time when you light it up, SLOWLY, open the tank valve. Then light as normal. It totally solved my problem. My grill is back in business and readily heats to near 600 degrees.

That COULD be your problem, too.

FWIW
Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Please be sure to remove the tank before putting your grill in the garage. No idea what caused it, but two of my neighbors burned their houses down within a year. Fire Department in both cases blamed it on a gas grill stored in the garage. Enjoy the new grill!

I guess it's time to update this thread...first of all, I'd like to thank everyone for the tips on storing gas (LP), or should I say, not storing gas in an attached garage, as this is the type of garage we have, and I would have kept the gas under the grill, in the garage, and I can see that this is a potential fire hazard, and yes we do have a concrete floor in the garage, yet I am currently w/o a gas grill, so it looks like I'll have to find another way achieve mischief with a gasser...or wait until I get another gas grill because I took the Broil King back to Lowes

here's proof-

15090212642_7129d1e86f_b.jpg

yep, she's on her way back to Lowes

14903886829_eb483e6d66_b.jpg

and here she is, dropped off, sitting in the return line, at Lowes in Ocala Florida

So why did I return this grill? Broil Kings customer service, or lack thereof

I mentioned buying this grill, the Friday before Labor Day weekend, and Lowes told me they would deliver it on Sunday, giving me time to familiarize myself with how to use it, before a planned party I was throwing at my home over the Labor Day weekend, and the plan was to grill for my company, using this gas grill in addition to my charcoal grill

So you read where I mentioned the flame was not the 1 inch height the manufacturer said should be there...I was seeing a 1/4" flame height on all four burners. Doing the trouble shooting in the owners manual, I thought the regulator was at fault, since disconnecting it and waiting several minutes before reconnecting, failed to achieve the correct flame height, to test the excess flow safety portion of the regulator. I did all this early Monday morning (the testing) before calling Broil King's customer service

The person I spoke with that Monday concluded that the regulator was bad and asked me to wait on hold while he checked to see if they had one they could send out that day. "Yes we have one and it will go out today, expect to see it in 5 to 7 days but most likely, you'll have it before the weekend". As well it should...bad enough the Broil King factory sends out a gas grill with a malfunctioning regulator, the least they can is get the replacement to me before the last Holiday grilling weekend of the year

I didn't get any tracking info on the regulator until Wednesday, and it said that only shipping hasn't started yet. Thursday rolls around and the regulator was shipped, out of Buffalo NY. So I'm tracking it, it gets to Orlando Fla. Friday and is sent to Ocala (where I live) early Saturday morning, with the tracking not only saying it was on the truck for delivery Saturday, but that it would be delivered the next business day. What?!? So I phoned Fed-Ex (1-800), the agent I spoke to confirmed it was on ther delivery truck right then and there, today, Saturday, but Broil King in their infinite wisdom, chose to send the regulator Fed-Ex Ground, and although Fed -Ex had it in time to deliver Saturday, packages sent Ground are not delivered on Saturday and so the regulator would not be delivered until Tuesday, the day after Labor day

So I asked the agent I spoke to at Fed-Ex, "Hey!, no problem, I'll come to your facility and pick it up myself" No was the reply, the Ocala facility is closed. So I asked the agent to call one of the managers to meet me at the facility, so I could have my regulator in time for my Labor Day Party...the one I need the grill to cook for. "No, they wont do that, sorry, is there anything else I can help you with today?"

Okay, between Fed-Ex and Broil King, both of them conspiring against me, I felt there was only one thing left for me to do, and that was to take the grill back to Lowes. Seemed like the best solution to me...what would you do? Sure, I could have kept the grill, everyone milling around outside while I'm cooking only on my charcoal grill, answering questions why I'm not using the nice new looking gas grill?

Trust me, I felt really good about returning this grill, and I have no regrets doing just that. To me, it was bad enough Broil King would send out a gas grill with a faulty LP gas tank regulator, but then to *not* get the replacement regulator to me in time to use this grill (I just dropped $600 + on including acc.) for the biggest grilling weekend of the year? What were they thinking? I'll tell you what I was thinking...what's next with Broil King's customer service when I need to use them again. I didn't want to go there. Once bitten twice shy. My people have an old saying. "Fool me once, you're the fool, fool me twice, I'm the fool". And that folks was my experience with a Broil King gas grill

I'm really loving my new (bought at Home Depot) Weber Performer Gold

15007251179_cc3fa6884e_b.jpg

we don't need no stinkin regulator<LOL>

15170990146_07ea8d4d7a_b.jpg

I found a welder whio had some 3/16" mild steel in stock to make me up this half circle (21.5") so I can griddle hamburgers and onions and what not on it

I've already sanded and seasoned it...I'm thinking of wrapping hot dogs with bacon to christen it

Hmmmmph! I like the half round. Keep this up to date as you get some time on it. Im curious to see how it holds a season and if you can get two different temp zones.

Back