Buttermilk and W.O.W. Brined Chicken

Mike Coffman

TVWBB Olympian
I wanted to try something a little different today for my chicken. I brined the 5 legs and 4 thighs in 2 cups of buttermilk.
I stirred in 2 tablespoons of Way Out West. I brined them for 8 hours. Once out of the brine I seasoned them with just a
sprinkling of garlic pepper.

Put onto the Performer using KBB in the Vortex and 1 chunk of cherry wood on top of the grate.

Chicken is done!

Sides for tonight are corn salad and boxed pasta salad.

Recipe for the corn salad: (Courtesy of http://thesouthernladycooks.com)

2 (16 ounce) pkgs. frozen whole kernel corn, cooked or fresh corn in summer
1 large red tomato, chopped
1 large onion, chopped
1 large green pepper, chopped
1/2 cup mayonnaise or salad dressing
Salt to taste
Cook corn according to directions on box, drain, cool. Add remaining ingredients and mix well.
Refrigerate for several hours.

I made half the recipe and also added red bell pepper.

Here’s your plate!

The chicken was fantastic! The W.O.W. added just the right amount of seasoning and the chicken taste really came through.
Both salads were great and with the corn salad you can add or subtract whatever veggie you want. Next time I make it
I will probably add some cucumber and crumbled smoked bacon.

Sounds fantiastic flavor wise Mike, buttermilk is what is traditional for southern fried chicken so I know it was good

That is some great looking chicken Mike and the salad is awesome. I like corn and this is going to be used for sure.
Thanks for putting the recipe on.

Love the brine in buttermilk.

Also love that set up, indirect with a chunk on top of the grates. That all looks incredible.

I did the buttermilk brine with chicken last night and it was great. I just used SP with the buttermilk and breaded with panko. Thanks for the brine inspiration, the chicken had a great texture to it, and tender.

Back