First BBQ Charity Event

Gene_N

TVWBB Fan
Hello,

I posted this thread in the BBQ forum a few days ago. I got plenty of looks but no feedback. Can anyone provide any insight?

Thanks,

Hi Gene,

You will normally see 2 oz servings at most events, unless the organizer specifies some other size. Sometimes the organizer will also provide the cups so that all servings are of the same size. Might check with the organizer on this.

Keeping it toweled in a cooler would most certainly work. For serving, set up a chafer with the disposable pans in steam table pans with some form of heating source and water in the steam table pans.

Best of Luck and Enjoy !

Bob

Hi Gene,

You will normally see 2 oz servings at most events, unless the organizer specifies some other size. Sometimes the organizer will also provide the cups so that all servings are of the same size. Might check with the organizer on this.

Keeping it toweled in a cooler would most certainly work. For serving, set up a chafer with the disposable pans in steam table pans with some form of heating source and water in the steam table pans.

Best of Luck and Enjoy !

Bob

This is exactly what I did last weekend when serving at the Atlanta BBQ festival. They had small cups they were around 1 oz and spoons we provided the serving trays, meat, sauce etc. bring more sauce than you think you need, people really poured on the sauce - I had it is squeeze bottles. We had a little less than six 8-10lb butts (used about half of one to make our comp box) and served over six hundred samples.

I wanted to post an update on this. The charity event was last Saturday. Great weather, 8 other teams that were a lot more gung-ho/competitive that I expected and about 500-600 people. I cooked 42 lbs of butt and brought 27 lbs cooked (67% yield was much higher than my usual 52%). I packed it in four 1/2-size sheet pans for the chafing dishes and bought 1 oz plastic serving containers. I have to say that my apple/cherry smoked pork butt with a modified Henley rub was the best tasting pulled pork out of the three teams that prepared butts. However, I was competing against teams that prepared ribs (spare, babyback) and brisket and spent a lot of time on the table presentation. My co-worker's homemade sauces (sweet garlic, mild BBQ) were a good complement to the pork but many preferred the meat without sauce

The crowd ate all but 3 lbs of pork which was excellent because I gave the remaining to my three co-workers for showing up and my neighbor for letting me use his oven. I smoked the meat (6 butts) for 9 hours, finished it off in a 350 F oven for 3 hours then rested it for 4 hours in a towel lined cooler. I pulled the buttah soft pork right at serving and even the last pan served three hours after the event start was piping hot. I was quite impressed.

For my first experience, I was expecting things to be a lot more difficult but I was prepared and the meat turned out very well. My bosses (who did not show up) said things will be better next year. I told him I would have to think about it before doing this again. He did not endure the prep and cleanup.

Back