First BBQ Challenge for Charity

Gene_N

TVWBB Fan
My arm got twisted to volunteer to cook BBQ for a charity event in Alexandria, VA on Sat 27 Sept. This will be my first ever cook for charity, attendees pay $25/head or $55/family to sample the various BBQ offerings. I plan to cook pulled pork the night prior/morning of the event and recruit a few co-workers to assist with the setup, serving and cleanup. A co-worker has agreed to make 2 sauces for the event which will be in squirt bottles.

I was told to provide "300 small servings of the meat". The event is 4 hours long and they had 250+ attendees last year.

Questions:
  1. How much is a small serving, is that 1-2 oz of meat which equates to 40 lbs of cooked meat?
  2. What would I serve the meat in, I thought of cheap small Dixie cups?
  3. Meat packed and wrapped in disposable 1/2 pans stored in coolers covered in towels, how long will it stay at serving temp? The event is 20 miles from my house

That's it for now. I appreciate any info, insight and lessons learned.

Thanks. :)

If it's a tasting plate only, I'd say do the smallest slider bun you can find on a 6" paper plate. No fork needed. Take the meat already warm then set up 3 or 4 disposable half sheet chafing dishes. These can be had around here for about $5-8ea, sterno is cheap. Figure 2oz per bun, your 40 pounds of meat will make 320 sliders. Try and find a few 2oz. dishers (size 16) to make plating fast & consistent.

Back