Bone-In Pork Loin Roast Smoke With Wine Barrel

James Lake

TVWBB Emerald Member
A few months ago I picked up some wine barrels that were broken down, I got about 100 pounds for $20.00.

temporary_zps8d510f4a.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I spent about an hour cutting about 40 pounds of it into 4 inch pieces

temporary_zpse7316815.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I cut one piece to go into my kettle to be used as I smoke the roast indirect

temporary_zpsa436271e.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

temporary_zpsc2d8fa7f.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Got the fire on

temporary_zpsfb72ea51.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The Lady of the House is preparing veggies to roast

temporary_zpse72f1524.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The 6 pound roast is on, coated with EVOO, S&P...that's all

temporary_zps8aaa0e50.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Time to sit back enjoy a beer and the view

temporary_zps932c528a.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

temporary_zps083d88d3.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Cut some taters and minced some rosemary. Coated the taters with EVOO, rosemary S&P.

temporary_zps6ac7e05b.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

temporary_zpsb30a86b0.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Roast has been on for an hour, the kettle is holding 350.

temporary_zpsfab75da8.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Roast was on the grill for a little over 1.5 hours, pulled as it temped at 140 and rested for 20 minutes before carved. The taters were cooked on a cedar plank. The Lady of the House roasted veggies and served on kale with goat cheese.

temporary_zpse7672851.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

temporary_zps88496c2a.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The pictures don't do the pork justice, the pork was slightly pink not grey. I wanted to carve between the bones, but there was a 1/2 bone on top that I couldn't cut through. Next time I do this I will mention this to the butcher.

temporary_zps22727bec.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

This roast was incredibly delicious, it was moist and very flavorful, for a simple seasoning the oak smoke really added a great taste to the pork. I would compare this roast to a prime rib, the meat would just melt in your mouth.

Thank you all for looking.

Last edited:
So howz that beer? Bev Mo, right?

(Waiting for more pics to comment the nice cook in progress)

That's the HOT & FAST way to cook pork loin. It looks super, moist and tender. You got some smoke ring too at 350F. That's great ! Must change something here. 6 lbs pork roast in 1 h 30' ! Complimenti!

Hey Jim, that is a fabulous post. That pork roast looks absolutely delicious. Those veggies are spectacular as well. Like that Growler! Your pictures are beautiful also.

Wow! I have some friends with a small winery not far from here, I believe I shall have to inquire whether I can get any discarded barrel pieces from them.

I like the charcoal set up with the oak... Meal looks delicious!

I need to find me some of those wine barrel wood.

This is one of the most beautiful posts I have seen on here. It almost HURTS to see it!:rolleyes:

Many years ago, before I started smoking, I used free barrels (there was a distillery not far from here) to burn in my fireplace! Alas, they are long gone. However, my brother gifted me with some barrel stave pieces to use in my smokers. To think of the pick up truck loads of barrel staves that I burned in my fireplace...:(

As a matter of interest, whiskey barrels, by law, must be white oak. After they get infused with the product (and they can no longer be used) they should make FINE smoke wood.

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Thank you all for you nice comments, it was a very fun cook. Bob C, when you're at the dinner table I make you some corn instead of spuds.

Back