Grilling corn?

NeilH

TVWBB Emerald Member
How long does it take to grill unshucked corn on the cob? Do you soak them first and do you have to rotate any during the cook? Also, does the silk come off easily when it cools off enough to shuck it? Lot of silly questions here and I'm sure I'm over thinking it as always but wanted to compare it to foiled corn. Thanks.

Neil,
I've never timed it and grill mine with the husks off most of the time. When I left the husks on I did not soak them in water and the corn came out fine and the silk will slide off easily. One of the members here (can't remember who off the top of my head) described that they cut the end off after grilling and just squeeze the corn out.

I just starting cooking them with the husks on this season.
Can't believe I waited so long !

I take a scissors and clip the drop leafs off and I clip off the silk off the end.
No soaking.
Cook time will vary depending on your rig.
I just took two off that were on for 3 hours at 225F (Maverick) dome temp.

They key is simply observing the color of the outside husks...they will brown up almost like an autumn leaf when they are done.
To eat, pull back the husk and this will form a "handle".
Pick off the large pieces of silk and then wipe down with a dry paper towel to get the stragglers.
Ghetto rub that ear down with a stick of butter, hit it with some Kosher salt and enjoy the best corn on the cob that you ever had in your life !

I will never husk and boil an ear of corn again !

Edit:
A friend who likes to add a little piz-zazz, will do the above and then lay them on a hot grill for a minute or two for grill marks.
Makes for a pretty presentation.

Last edited:
I soak the corn in the husk for ahoy an hour. Then I cut the end with the silk so there is none sticking out. I cook direct medium(350-400) for about 35 minutes and flip once. The silk comes off pretty easy after cooking. Hope this helps.

I don't soak it anymore and don't see a difference. Grill for about 20-25 minutes. Peel back the husk and the silk comes off real easy. You need tough hands or something to protect your delicate fingers because those cobs are hot when your shucking them.

I don't soak it anymore and don't see a difference. Grill for about 20-25 minutes. Peel back the husk and the silk comes off real easy. You need tough hands or something to protect your delicate fingers because those cobs are hot when your shucking them.
Agree, I tried soaking them and got no benefit.
Cook time will vary as always, depending on temps and direct/indirect placement.

If I have time I soak them in a salt and sugar solution. I remove about half the husk and clip the top of the silk there isn't any sticking out. Never timed it but I cook it probably half hour to 45 minutes indirect. Sometimes I will put them on direct to get a little char on them at the end.

I shuck the corn and grill over a medium fire direct. I consider an ear as having four sides. I grill each side about two minutes. When the kernels start popping they are about done. I like just a bit of char.

Then, spread them with butter and a bit of kosher salt and you're in for a treat.

SW Ohio, the home of the best sweet corn on the planet!

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

I agree with the husk on, no soak method, nothing about an ear of corn will absorb anything, as far as I can tell.

John Solak, hide your eyes.:p
Try mayo at least once instead of butter.

Mayo, WTH Correll, you gone plum loco, LMAO,

Seriously no need to soak, jut roast over medium heat until golden browned on all four sides as Dwain says it

Now the neat thing is what I believe Jim Lampe was the first to post a year or so ago, don't cut anything off except maybe some long loose extra silk, then when done cooking go to a cutting board and slice off the last inch or so of the stalk end. Then grab the silk end with a towel and squeeze and pressure the corn out. It will come out completely clean no silk nada.

It's a beautiful thing

Mayo, hmmm

I split the difference: husk on, but only a single layer.

As far as the silk goes, getting the occasional piece is part of the on-the-cob experience!;)

Mayo, WTH Correll, you gone plum loco, LMAO,

Seriously no need to soak, jut roast over medium heat until golden browned on all four sides as Dwain says it

Now the neat thing is what I believe Jim Lampe was the first to post a year or so ago, don't cut anything off except maybe some long loose extra silk, then when done cooking go to a cutting board and slice off the last inch or so of the stalk end. Then grab the silk end with a towel and squeeze and pressure the corn out. It will come out completely clean no silk nada.

It's a beautiful thing

Mayo, hmmm

I might try that next time, although I do like the "handle effect" that you get when the crispy husk is peeled back and gathered.

I'm with Robert. Shuck it,grill it naked and serve with butter,salt and pepper. A little char is good!:D
I'm in the grill it with its clothes on.
Natural steam chamber....thank you, Mother Nature.
And they "hold" quite nicely in their crispy, brown husks.
Easy to undress later and apply grill marks if necessary.

I've had it John, it is delicious. I'm just busting someones chops. Those Mid Westerners put mayo on everything you know. .....Just kidding

I've had it John, it is delicious. I'm just busting someones chops. Those Mid Westerners put mayo on everything you know. .....Just kidding

eb3f2a4927b4a997c4bea6665d6324eeafe6811b841b61f35f742090172bad2c.jpg

I pull one leaf of corn husk off and put it to the side. Then I shuck the corn, but I do not detach the husk from the big end. I pull it back to the bottom and use the corn husk leaf as a tie to hold them together. This makes a convenient handle to turn them with while on the grill. If I do them dressed, I don't soak them, I just throw them on the grill turning every 15 minutes till done. 30-45 minutes.

I'm going to have to try the mayo deal next time we grill corn. We did try this mixture once and it was pretty freakin' awesome. I used Feta instead of the cotija.

1/4 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup sour cream or Mexican crema
1/2 cup finely crumbled cotija or feta cheese, plus more for serving
1/2 teaspoon ancho or guajillo chili powder, plus more for serving
1 medium clove garlic, finely minced (about 1 teaspoon)
1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro leaves and tender stems

Back