Buying a Weber gasser .. recommendations?

Paul Strelow

Longtime lurker, first-time poster. So thanks for obliging the rookie question.

Have a WSM, but finally upgrading from $100 quick set gas grill to a "real" grill now that the other has finally charred after a decade.

Love grilling but only do so about once a week because I have so many young kids and no time, haha.

Leaning toward a Genesis and more comfy in that lowest-end price range of those, but have developed an (irrational?) desire for the SS grates over the porcelain. Priority goes to something that will last a long time and I won't regret spending the $$ for. But right now I don't grill much more than burgers, chicken, veggies/potatoes.

Thoughts from anyone on their experiences or recommendations? Understand it's a matter of individual preference, but having a hard time deciding whether a Genesis 310 will satisfy me, or whether to go up/down a notch. Pretty open-ended ...

I just picked up a 2009 Genesis E320 NG off of CL and I am very pleased so far this one has CI grates which I really like, my other gasser is a 17 year old Genesis 1000 whice is still in excellent shape and I will keep it also for those times when I need the extra grill space. If you have never used a Genesis you will be very pleased I'm sure, great control, plenty of heat and a quality product, take care of it and your kids will be using it some day.

I purchased a Genesis 310 Special Edition about 3-4 months ago. I love it, it cooks great with very even temperatures all over the grates.

The Special Edition can be purchased at only specific dealers, not HD OR Lowes. The difference in the regular and SD model is the addition of SS grates and flavorizer bars.

My dealer suggested a painted exterior over a SS one. They said the painted was easier to clean and keep looking good.

Last edited:
I have an Special edition 330. I love the sear station. If you're more comfortable in the lower price range, go for a black Gensis 310 with the PC grates. You can always upgrade the grates to CI or SS down the road. Same thing with the flame guards. :)

You can upgrade yes but the difference in cost between buying it as an EP or an E is WAY WAY more than buying it right the first time

I agree that the painted exterior is easier to clean and keep looking good, compared to the SS. I bought the gray EP-330 for that reason, plus it was cheaper than the SS version.

I purchased a Genesis E-330 NG (stainless steel) last October after many months of research. Prior to that I grilled with the 22 1/ inch for 7 years.

My biggest disappointment was (and still is) flavor. Gas grills are convenient but they in no way compete with the flavor of Webers charcoal grills… let alone the WSM. Granted, they each have their own uses… but from a flavor perspective… the gas grills are the weakest.

My wife wanted a gas grill because I get home late from work at times and she wants to grill but doesn`t want to deal with the charcoal or wait. The benefits are: its quick to heat up and you`re eating in 20 minutes instead of 40. I found myself using the gas grill every time during the winter (at least once a week). So even for me, a hardcore wood aficionado, the gas grill is used a lot when you want to be done with it.

However, with the weather getting warm now, back to the 22 1/ I go. Besides, its nice to just sit in the yard after a busy day with a beer and wait…. part of my Zen practice.

From a $$$ POV… I find Weber grills to be overpriced. I`d love to validate spending almost a grand on the E-330 (+250 for the plumber to install the connection) but the taste does not justify the price. And also the build quality… The base of the E-330 just feels flimsy. I don`t think its going to fall over but its not worth the price, you`re paying for the name IMO.

Time will tell if it stands up under the crazy weather we`ve had here in Brooklyn. I keep my grill covered most of the time when its not in use. If it lasts me 15+ years, I`ll consider it a good deal.

Back