Genesis 1000 Restoration Photos

Phil Graham

As discussed in the thread here, I've been restoring a Genesis 1000 that I purchased for $65.00. This unit had full stainless internals that were in pretty good shape, the lid porcelain looked pretty good, and most of the other bits seemed in reasonable condition. First step was full disassembly and media blasting of the castings and internals. I ended up cannibalizing another Spirit grill ($25), buying about $55 new parts in new parts. Then came the painting ($30) and re-assembly. I would have liked to add a shiny new Weber logo, but I couldn't figure out how to remove the original one without damaging the lid porcelain.

I've attached some pictures of the rebuild process below:

As-purchased grill condition 1:
RSPJ81J.jpg

As-purchased grill condition 2:
6bl3mfa.jpg

Media blasted main casting:
abendxX.jpg

Media blasted smaller pieces and stainless:
TVtOi6V.jpg

Grill surface with blasting dust removed:
cnu6wgu.jpg

Painting small castings:
68SW5jF.jpg

Painted casting detail:
c9zXsHO.jpg

Cart (mostly) assembled:
OQKfFdO.jpg

First paint coat on main grill casting:
38Pkfe0.jpg

Finished pictures in the next post!

Last edited:
Followup post with the finished grill images, as TVWBB restricts the number of images per post. The last couple links are higher resolution for detail:

Finished grill 1:
DYpVQro.jpg

Finished grill 2:
JTGueKs.jpg

Finished grill 3:
izLOzoS.jpg

Finished grill 4:
Sh1n1BG.jpg

Cheers!

Easy way to fix that logo. Remove it, than clean it well. Paint it with high temp gloss black and than let it cure well. Now get some fine grit paper and put on a block. Hold the emblem face down and sand away. Working to finer grit to finally polish it. The raised areas will shine and the recessed will be nice gloss black

Logo fixing

Easy way to fox that logo. Remove it, than clean it well. Paint it with high temp gloss black and than let it cure well. Now get some fine grit paper and put on a block. Hold the emblem face down and sand away. Working to finer grit to finally polish it. The raised areas will shine and the recessed will be nice gloss black

That sounds like a great idea, but I don't know how to remove the push nuts holding on the logo without nicking the porcelain. I don't dare attack them with my angle grinder.

how much did it cost to have the firebox blasted?

I paid my blasting house an even $100. For as nice as it turned out after blasting, I count it as money well spent. I cleaned a good fraction of the gook off the metal pieces by using simple green and water followed by phosphoric acid cleaner before going to the blasting house.

Blasting is a skilled trade, and you can see how a practiced blaster does a nice job on both the aluminum castings and stainless steel sheet. They did a great job of retaining all the fine casting detail. The blasting media in this case was duPont Starblast (https://www.chemours.com/Titanium_Technologies/en_US/products/starblast/index.html).

Last edited by a moderator:
I used a combo of small screw driver and long nose pliers. Had no trouble. I than put it back on by simply using high temp automotive RTV. Worked like a champ

Nice work!

And LM great idea for the Logo polish up. I tried spraying mine without removing from the hood and then removing the raised layers with a wire brush wheel, but that did not work well at all.

I wish I could find another weber with good salvageable parts in them...

I just got a Silver C but grates and flavorizer bars are rusted out. The burner looks ok but may opt to replace them as well.

http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?50258-Silver-C-for-60

I'm hoping to find parts at a local bargain places. Hoping to save a little money so I can also have my firebox sandblasted.

Mine looks exactly like yours and scrubbing it might not do any good.

Where did you get the SS screws and nuts? I do work in manufacturing where we got a ton of screws and bolts...:)

Last edited:
I wish I could find another weber with good salvageable parts in them...

I just got a Silver C but grates and flavorizer bars are rusted out. The burner looks ok but may opt to replace them as well.

People here like that rcplanebuyer on ebay for flavorizers at about half the cost of Weber's.

I'm hoping to find parts at a local bargain places. Hoping to save a little money so I can also have my firebox sandblasted.

FWIW, I'm at $315 total on this project. Essentially a new Weber for the price of the Chinese hardware I'm graduating from.

Mine looks exactly like yours and scrubbing it might not do any good.

I scrubbed mine with simple green and water, then a brass wire brush. Then rinsed it and used a phosphoric acid aluminum cleaner. Only then did I send it for blasting.

Where did you get the SS screws and nuts? I do work in manufacturing where we got a ton of screws and bolts...:)

All replacement hardware is from my giant local Ace and/or McMaster. I've got a fair amount left over of the lid bolts/washers/lockwashers if you want me to send you them. Just cover shipping.

Back