A couple of Camping cooks with a new toy.

John Solak

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Picked up a Vortex from a guy on a different site. Didn't get a chance to use it at home so took it camping with us this weekend. Filled it full of Royal Oak lump and used a couple of Weber starter cubes to light my fire.

Maiden cook with it was chicken wings seasoned with Mad Hunky Chicken Wang. My Wife picked up the wings and she got the worst package of wings I have ever seen.
Wings on

This thing can crank out some heat!!!

Wings done

On the way to the campground we stopped at the Butcher in Brawley and I asked for a 2 inch thick ribeye for Saturday night Steak. Seasoned it with Lawry's and black pepper

After a quick sear I moved this monster to finish indirect.

Another hot fire, this time I pegged out my thermometer.

Steak done. Really like this new toy, just need to play with it a little more to dial in my technique. Thanks for looking!!!

First of all John, I wish I was camping.:). Still winter up here. Next, your food is just wonderful. You are a master at cooking. The wings and steak look great. A true pro can take whatever tools they have and make magic. Nice job!

Great looking camping cooks John!! I will have to take a peek for that vortex thing..get it would be perfect for a wok set up!!

Interesting device. And ah yes beautiful downtown Brawley, we use to take our motor home and ATVs and camp out along highway 76 just before the Anza Borrego state park back in the late 80s early 90s. We would go to Glamis for a day and then into Brawley to refuel and get some goodies. Good Times!

hope yall had fun outdoors, great cooks too. monster slab of beef ribeye - huge and awesome.

don't lift the lid...

Back