Mandolin recommendation

tjkoko

TVWBB All-Star
I recommend the Benriner Mandolin. It comes in three sizes: small, super (or wide-body or large) and jumbo. I recommend getting at least the super size (or wide-body or large). It'll slice thru a whole cucumber in less than thirty seconds yielding slices that are 1mm thin. Slice thickness is adjustable. And pay attention to slicing if you want to leave your fingertips intact.

8)

The OXO V-Blade Mandoline does a great job and comes with a good collection of blades for around 40 bucks. EZ to clean and most blades store on board.

My wife bought me a gorgeous French one years ago but we never use it as it's much heavier and bulky than the OXO

I'm afraid to get one! My son lost the end of a finger to a mandolin. My luck, I'd lose several.

I'm afraid to get one! My son lost the end of a finger to a mandolin. My luck, I'd lose several.
You definitely have to use the guard whenever you use a mandoline slicer. My wife did the same as your son...she's not allowed to use it anymore! ;)

According to Americas Test Kitchen, at $49.99, their winner was:
OXO Good Grips V-Blade Mandoline Slicer

at $26.96, their Best Buy was:
Kyocera Adjustable Ceramic Mandoline Slicer

They had several recommended and not recommended (too many to list). You may need a subscription to see the page. But, here's the link.

I won't purchase a subscription. But where did the Benriner place???? Was it even mentioned????

You definitely have to use the guard whenever you use a mandoline slicer. My wife did the same as your son...she's not allowed to use it anymore! ;)

I had to laugh as we have a de Buyer mandoline that cost an arm and a leg (Brian always says there's no price limit on anything that involves cooking and eating, either indoor or outdoor). But if we've had a couple of drinks, I refuse to use it and won't let him use it either. The first time I used it, I cut my finger just HANDLING the blade! It is a marvelous mandoline, though, and the more you use it, the more comfortable you get with it.

We also have the OXO mandoline and use it often, with great care.
No drinking when using a mandoline is a real good rule of thumb, pun intended.
One slip and you can say goodbye to whatever it comes in contact with.

Which ever one you get, ALWAYS use the guard. My wife and I both have been "bit" by our mandoline. They are great tools, but they are very sharp.

in the latest cooks illustrated 5/14 they reviewed mandolines again. highly recommended: swissmar borner original ($30) then kyocera adjustable slicer with handguard ($25). recommended was the progressive prepworks ($22)then the oxo ($40). i have the oxo, and i am happy with it, but the swissmar is $10 cheaper and higher rated. i have the review page scanned, if you want to see all of them i will figure out how to post it.

Cooks illustrated also recommends wearing a protective glove when you use a mandolin, I would recommend wearing a glove also, but I'm one finger tip too late.

I have the Miu France mandoline, that I like very much. I've used a top of the line De Buyer mandoline, and the Miu France Mandoline. They both compare favorably, IMO. :)

No matter which mandolin you choose, I recommend watching the videos on the Miu France mandolin site, or on Youtube. They apply to just about all mandolins, and really helped show me, the proper way to slice things, example: tomatoes, or julienne, or x-cross fries.

The Miu Mandoline can be purchased new, on EBAY for 45.00 plus 15.00 shipping.

I really haven't found my mandoline too useful, but I've really liked the new food processor....

I really haven't found my mandoline too useful, but I've really liked the new food processor....

Think about making a simple salad consisting of one whole cucumber sliced very thinly, mixed with one small purple onion sliced very thinly, small cherry tomatos or smaller tomatos, mixed with o'oil, vinegar, garlic, bay leaf. Thin sliced is the way to go for that dish imho.

The general rule is quite simple, do not operate any sharp tools when you are under influence of anything.
If you do that, it's your own fault when something goes wrong. Simple as that.
Cut first, then drink/smoke/whatever. Simple rule.

Back