Duck on the Kettle

Rom Prakash

TVWBB Member
Never cooked Duck before, and certainly never on the Kettle. I had posted a question about it in the grilling forum. Well, I put together a simple five-spice rub, coated the birds and threw them on the kettle. I think the rub had a bit too much sugar in it for the high temps that I was using, but even though the bird looked a little blackened in spots, it came out VERY tasty. I will certainly be doing this again. I cooked two, and it got rave results at home.

Don't have any photos of it on the grill, but here's the end product.

1471963_10152047353949771_1233977549_n.jpg

1452071_10152047353369771_292317716_n.jpg

I loved the duck, and it was some of the best poultry I've made. I will definitely be experimenting with more recipes next time, and hope that I can add duck as another dish that I can serve when entertaining, or on special occasions.

I have never cook a duck either, but want to try. I am not even sure if I have tried it before. Your looks great!!!

I had duck once in a Fondue but never cooked it before Rom, yours looks very appealing.

Looks delicious. What temp did you roast and for how long? did you use any smoke wood?

My wife is always begging me to try duck and 'tis the season...

Looks delicious. What temp did you roast and for how long? did you use any smoke wood?

My wife is always begging me to try duck and 'tis the season...

Hi Chris!
I mostly followed this recipe here: http://www.yummly.com/recipe/external/Five-Spice-Duck-Food-Network-289330

I only took the kettle up to 430 rather than the 500 it calls for (I didn't light enough coals for the 2 ducks). I also didn't end up cooking it for the entire 50 minutes @350 as it calls for (I used the roasting recipe, not the rotisserie instructions since I don't have one set to go). I pulled the duck once the thighs hit around 175. I cooked indirect, with the weber charcoal holders almost full of lump. I had a drip pan under the ducks. My two ducks just fit on the grill (22.5") indirect in this fashion. I would recommend rotating the ducks and probably flipping them over halfway through the cook so they cook evenly.

It came out very flavorful. I used lump charcoal (Royal Oak), but no smokewood for this cook. I don't think I would add smokewood personally, I don't think the ducks would benefit from more smokiness than you get from the lump charcoal. But that's me, I like minimal smoke for poultry.

The duck was very well received, and it was a pretty brain dead cook.

Hy Rom, I think that your photo of the duck cut up on the plate should be one of the photos of the week!

Great looking Duck, Rom!! This is another one I need to add to my list of to do's. Thanks for sharing!!!

Very nice. I've seen frozen ducks @ the store...been a while....but I'd better give it a go.

Back