Buy a 14.5 or build a Mini ?

John Zell

TVWBB Member
After much reading here, I'm trying to decide 14.5 or mini.

I own a 22" Kettle that I added a Smoke EZ to and have modified.

I mainly smoke for a family of 2....me and the wife...so thinking something smaller might be nice.

Let's way the pros and cons of my question.....

Cost, time to build, performance, features, etc.

Your replies follow,

jz
Portland, OR

Well John, I'm thinking along the same lines as you. However, my thoughts are: buy the WSM 14.5" and sell my WSM 18.5" (still in excellent condition - maybe $150.00?), keep the 18.5" WSM and built a mini, or just stay warm and happy with my 18.5" WSM and forget a smaller smoker altogether.

It depends on your finances (you are the only one to figure that dilemma out). After seeing the grease drippings down the side of the "minis", I would lean towards the 14.5" WSM. As far as "weighing" the pros and cons - again, it's up to you. Do you like constructing something instead of buying it, or do you prefer the fit and finish of something manufactured for a specific purpose?

I know I probably haven't helped you much here, but I have answered my own dilemma - I'm standing pat with my 18.5" WSM and giving up the idea of a smaller smoker. I'd spend $200 on the 14.5" WSM and sell my 18.5" WSM for (hopefully) $150 - that puts me $50 in the hole. You could build your mini for around $100 with a brand new Weber 14.5" Smokey Joe, or double that amount and rely on Weber for their improvement(s) in the design.

Wow - this really went nowhere as far as an answer for you :confused:! Another thought - with the right equipment (Smoke EZ) and the right charcoal lighting technique (snake or Minion), you could use your kettle as a low and slow smoker and forget a smaller smoker entirely! :D

Have fun with whatever you decide!

Signed: The Devil's Advocate...:cool:

I would get the new 14.5" WSM. Mike has been nice enough to give you all the options and reasons for each. You'll have to decide. I would get the 14.5" because even though I do like to build things, a mini will never be a WSM. The WSM will be a factory finished machine with great operating characteristics and a great warranty. It will last forever if taken reasonably good care of and it will go well with your kettle visually. The one thing I question is why you want to buy anything if your Smoke EZ is working for you. I doubt either the WSM or the mini will produce food that tastes any different. Are you just looking for a new toy? Of course that's a fine reason and it would still lead me back to the 14.5" WSM.

I had a mini and gave it to my son to get him started. He's been cooking up a storm. I ordered the 14.5" WSM to replace it as the RV smoker. For me it's a win win.

I say that to say this: it's gonna be a personal decision based on individual requirements. I have one cook on the 14.5" and I already prefer it over the mini.

I had a mini and gave it to my son to get him started. He's been cooking up a storm. I ordered the 14.5" WSM to replace it as the RV smoker. For me it's a win win.

I say that to say this: it's gonna be a personal decision based on individual requirements. I have one cook on the 14.5" and I already prefer it over the mini.

Dwain, I have a mini and was wondering why you prefer the 14.5 over the mini. Besides for the warranty it comes with I would think they would cook about the same.

Dwain, I have a mini and was wondering why you prefer the 14.5 over the mini. Besides for the warranty it comes with I would think they would cook about the same.

Allow me to retract the word "prefer". Tell you the truth this was want vs need. I've always wanted an 1880 but they've been hard to come by. And when one came up it was stand in line or highest offer to get it.

Then, my son was talking about building a mini when he saw mine. He lives in an apt and has to be low profile. The 18" would be too big for him so I set him up with my mini, smoke wood, rub, and a bunch of extras. All he needed when he left here was a thermometer and meat. Passin the torch so to speak.

Now, SWMBO and I like to "camp" in the RV. (She calls it "glamping" = glamour camping). Anyway, the mini was the RV smoker. So, I had an opportunity to get something I always wanted.

The mini cooks great. My son is eatin great BBQ from it. No problems at all. He did a pork butt today. I've only cooked on the 14.5" once so definitely can't say one is better than the other. But an initial impression is they are both great little cookers.

If I had to nitpick I would say I like the bottom vents on the 14.5" work better than the mini (I had a silver with tuna can mod for the ashes). But that is certainly not such a hassle as to choose one over the other.

The biggest difference for me is the door and lid. I can add smoke wood, charcoal, and water (if used) without removing the center section. I couldn't do that in the mini. And the lid has more headroom.

I have another cook planned for tonight's supper and will add to the comparison if i discover anything new.

Last edited:
After much reading here, I'm trying to decide 14.5 or mini.

I own a 22" Kettle that I added a Smoke EZ to and have modified.

I mainly smoke for a family of 2....me and the wife...so thinking something smaller might be nice.

Let's way the pros and cons of my question.....

Cost, time to build, performance, features, etc.

Your replies follow,

jz
Portland, OR

Been lurking a while but been smoking a lot... I'm actually in a reverse situation, I have a WSM 18.5" and was thinking of getting a 22"-26" kettle for grilling, I have a Aussie and it's about to die!!! My thinking it is, the WSM chimney cooking is awesome, it's design specifically for smoking, you can put so much meat on so when you have a party or get together, you are able to enjoy the food with the rest of the guest instead of minding the grill. The nice thing is, you can cook Tri-tip, butt, shoulder and ribs all at the same time... True you are only looking for the two of you but having a WSM will be a nice addition for your arsenal and those holiday meals going to be more special.. this is the first Thanksgiving my family will have Tri-tip and Ribs with the Turkey (will keep traditional as Turkey requires a different temp for cooking so it stays in the Oven) LOL!!!

Thanks for all the great thoughts here. Think about buying the 14.5 and taking it to my office/shop which is 5 miles from our home.
We have a nice outdoor patio area that I could do some smoking during the week while at work. I'm excited about working with a smaller unit and more importantly one that has a door. The Smoke EZ doesn't have a door.

If anyone has further thoughts....please don't hold back and reply.

Thanks,

jz

I received my 14.5" on Friday and have cooked chicken on it twice. I also have a mini and made another one for a family member. I really like the 14.5- no buyers remorse at all. I like the taller lid, deeper base, new temp probe grommet, water pan, cover, 3 vents on the bottom, handles on both grates, and overall fit and finish. I will probably keep the mini (it gets loaned out a lot), but the 14.5" will be my new go to smoker. The only trouble I see is cooking ribs, because the 22.5 has spoiled me on this.

I also have 22.5" WSM. THE CLEANUP IS SO MUCH EASIER ON THE 14.5" because i can wash each piece in the sink.
When i cook on the 22.5" i tend to cook 8 butts and call friends for the extras. The 14.5" should pay for itself with the savings on meat alone.

I also have a Ranch (I cook Turkey's on it), a 26.75" (briskets), and a genesis (rotisserie chicken and steaks). In the last year i sold my q240 and q 300 and 2 18" WSM's. My wife thinks i need to sell a few more.

But on a positive note, she has taken a big liking to the 14.5" because of its size and appearance.

Enough rambling. I hope to put on a pork butt this week to test how long this new WSM can keep a good temp.

Here is a no decision. The decision to have both. I am also a guy who liked the 1880 idea, but not the "collectors" price tag.
The mini is cheap and for an old guy like me life is too short not to have both.

Just go ahead and do it. You know that you want to. No permission needed.

Dwain explains it pretty good. I also have both. Cook on both devices twice in my life so take that as u will. I prefer the 14.5 personally cause I'm just used to it. The mini will do the same thing but I just was never impressed. I'm not a carpenter or man of many trades if that helps you out.

Back