Orange and Ginger Duck

Bill Schultz

TVWBB Hall of Fame
Have not done Duck for awhile and since I treated myself to a Weber Rotisserie for my OTG I wanted to break it in right. So here we go.

One 5lbs. Duck, cross hatched the skin only and did several piercings for fat removal, plenty of fresh ginger and garlic worked into and under the skin. A bunch of excess fat removed. Salted well to dry the skin and put in the fridge last night uncovered.

003_zpse8794d68.jpg

Rendered the fat down and passed through a strainer. Took the liver and salted both sides and fried it in duck fat.

005_zps29afeacd.jpg

Made the CEO and myself some HorryDerves, liver sliced thin on crackers with mint jelly on half and some apricot preserve on the others. They wer good

012_zps72f16d20.jpg

And away we go, running Stubbs on each side of the bird at 350-375

013_zpsa8fa5491.jpg

Made a sauce up to baste the Duck after all the fat rendered, ginger and garlic, orange marmalade, EVOO and some Grand Mariner

014_zpse111c015.jpg

Potatoes roasting on the Genesis, coated with Kosher and Fresh Ground, and most importantly the rendered duck fat

015_zpsf42afbde.jpg

Switched out pans to capture the pure oil when the majority had rendered so that my braise did not contaminate

017_zps95a12b8e.jpg

Lot of work, time for a beverage

019_zps4172c4d3.jpg

Taters done and heading in, these were fantastic

021_zpsb7cd4e8c.jpg

Duck done and resting, thighs at 170

027_zps939fdbc4.jpg

On the table

029_zps9d8bd416.jpg

Your plate, enjoy

030_zps0edd53a6.jpg

Oh yea I forgot, Bourbon you know. But the CEO made extraordinary Broccoli Rabb that is her Mothers recipe. Superb

Last edited:
Look's good Bill...I've never had store bought duck only wild duck & duck season is here need to get out & shoot a few for the Q.

Bill this should be a poster........
027_zps939fdbc4.jpg

For the record, we're about an hour away from you but PM me and come on down anytime. I like your beverages. We had Yuengling and B&B tonight. :)

Bill. All your food is what gets me through my work day. Beautiful my friend. Fantastic looking duck and great plating. Keep calm and cook on.

Last edited:
That is an amazing cook Bill. I love duck, though I've never done one. After this post, I'ts near the top of my "to do" list!

Bill, SWMBO and I have been discussing a duck for a while now. You have given me some wonderful inspiration my friend! Beautifully done!

Back