Please forgive me...I'm a bit "dulled" by hops....

Bill

TVWBB Super Fan
..but I have a question that I haven't found an answer to from searches and research. Some may regard it as a stupid question(s) but as I'm not a Weber expert(my only weber experience is w/my 18.5 WSM I got a few weeks ago and so far love), and am curious, feel compelled to ask. Regarding all of the weber(charcoal grills) models(excluding size and color), what is the difference for the average/novice owner..ie-what differentiates one from the other and why should I spend more. example given size is the same(22.5 standard for kettle) and it's not a rare color variation, for someone going from a gas grill to a weber kettle, what is the difference between a silver, gold, performer..etc and why should should I get one over another?

Last edited:
Silver to gold...
One Touch Gold (OTG) has a basket underneath that when you slide the vent handle back an forth the ash falls into the basket. The silver just has a catch pan. The benefit of the OTG is if the wind blows the ash stays contained. Also just remove the basket and dump it.

I'm not familiar with the performer, maybe someone else can comment.

If the powers to be ever said to me " You must eliminate all your Weber cookers except one " the Performer would be my choice to keep. The gas assist, ash catcher, table, ability to move around and I can grill and or smoke makes the Performer, For me and my family the easiest and best cooker for our needs. Take a look at the Performer Bill, I think you'll like it.

The Performer would be the grill to get, but at $400+ (at least up here) a more modest budget would allow the next best thing - the 22.5 OTG. As far as colour.....

What they said. I personally would always pay a few bucks more for the OTG because of the better ash catcher. If you have the cash the performer is my grill of choice, all 7 others would go before my performer :)

I’ve always had 22.5 Weber kettles for over thirty years to supplement my Weber gassers and for that charcoal flavor, even a little BBQ now and then. I just recently picked up a Performer at an estate sale, boy do I wish I had bought one a long time ago. With the gas start and the table plus the ash catcher it’s as close to perfect as you can get. Just about as easy to use as a gasser.

Keep an eye on Craigslist for a performer....you should be able to find a good deal. That's where I got mine and I love it

they are webers. a true lover tries to get as many variations as possible. i don't buy new. i buy used as i like to rescue and rehab them.

Thanks for the replies. I've been checking CL, but haven't had any luck. I was originally thinking OTS, but now I'm leaning towards a OTG. Unless I find a deal before pulling the trigger, a performer is gonna be too much for the budget.

The basic 22.5 kettle is the best bang for the buck out there. If you can pick up a OTG; great. Otherwise, I see OTS's all the time on craigslist for anywhere from free to $40. Just depends if it needs replacement parts - ash sweepers, ash trays, wheels and grates all can add a few bucks to getting it right again.

The basic 22.5 kettle is the best bang for the buck out there. If you can pick up a OTG; great. Otherwise, I see OTS's all the time on craigslist for anywhere from free to $40. Just depends if it needs replacement parts - ash sweepers, ash trays, wheels and grates all can add a few bucks to getting it right again.

the OTS price was what had me leaning that way. I have a $50 gift card to Academy, so I could get one for just over what I'd pay for my replacement grates for my Charbroil gasser. But after the responses and some more looking, the ease of ash disposal w/a OTG plus the included dome thermo have me thinking it'll be worth the extra $$ upfront over the life of the grill. I'm not set on my choice and check CL daily for deals hoping I can find a Performer for cheap. If I find a deal I can't pass up on CL before I just go for it at Academy(they have the OTG online), I'll go that route, and either save my giftcard for a larger purchase or get some CI gear.

just saw an add on CL for a decent OTG(w/o thermo) but includes a chimney asking $75. offered $60 cash for me to drive to it, we'll see what happens

Last edited:
just saw an add on CL for a decent OTG(w/o thermo) but includes a chimney asking $75. offered $60 cash for me to drive to it, we'll see what happens

If he goes for it thats a great price, I sold my slighty used OTS for $60 on CL in one hour so an OTG for that is really good. But the best deal on a Weber I've ever got was my performer platinum at an estate sale, like new condition $50 I still giggle when I think about it.

24hrs later and no response. guessing either the answer is no or the item has sold.

Update-
Wanted a OTG, but wound up getting a 18.5" OTS "Budlight" off CL today. Has some paint chips on rim of the lid, but hadn't been used. They are on the vent side. Put the gasser on the curb w/a sign saying free and it was gone before I could blink.

Here it is next to its cousin(who is cooking some pork butt)
AE488E00-8CA1-45F6-86B7-C62D40209F8A-7385-00000F1F6521C303_zps7cf7d426.jpg

Forgot to add year code is AU if anyone knows what that year is, I don't have a chart

Bill,

That's one pretty Blue OTS !

Word of caution here... you might want to separate them a little more. Weber's have a known to multiply when no one's looking ... ;)

you will find that the 18's make great grills and smoking with them ain't bad either. i prefer to grill either on my cga or the 18.
now that weber is no longer making blue grills that will jump in value !

Back