Hanging Chicken

Alan F

TVWBB Pro
If you have not tried hanging chicken (ala pit barrel cooker style) over an open pit, you need to! The rubbed half was very good. This was among the best I've had. Here is my take using a wsm.

Started with a ring 3/4 full of used kb (so there would be no igniter smoke).

IMG_1247_zps5c8ad940.jpg

Poured a half chimney over the top. Even though the temps were perfect next time I'll use 3/4 chimney to get an even layer of coals.

IMG_1249_zps4762c44e.jpg

IMG_1250_zpsef23b52f.jpg

Cut a chicken in half, rubbed one, marinated the other.

IMG_1251_zpsc6c24e07.jpg

Hooked them up, inserted a probe, and attached them to the grate.

IMG_1253_zpsf3357dcd.jpg

IMG_1254_zps45fd1d45.jpg

46a8de7e-475a-4534-b833-d477c61c3904_zpsfad1a859.jpg

IMG_1260_zps69d27ed3.jpg

Temps on a wsm are so easy to dial in and remained solid.

IMG_1263_zps3b182b52.jpg

No wood was used, and the cook got smokier as it went on.

IMG_1266_zps3b3ce6d0.jpg

...continued...

Last edited:
Chicken done (or so I thought)

860d3a97-5863-40e4-afdb-61fb16a90c3d_zpsf1abdf42.jpg

3a2ab033-11f6-4bec-8dbf-f9b102ae97c6_zps7001eb8b.jpg

Unfortunately an old probe went bad and these needed to go back on for 15 more degrees.

The chicken was fantastic. :wsm: :cool:

Now I need to find an elevated hanger for turkeys...

Last edited:
Nice post, I can imagine your neighborhood smelled pretty good with the chicken juice bouncing off the coals.:wsm:

Darn cool idea!

I'm definitely going to try this. What I'd like to know is, where did you get (or make?) those hooks? In your pictures they look like stainless steel, or are they aluminum? I'll freakin use a coat hanger if I have to! Please let me know! YUM!

I'm guessing you'll need to do something to your lid to be able to hang a turkey which will be a pita to set up and unload. I hang full sides of belly, but I stack up two middles.

I'm definitely going to try this. What I'd like to know is, where did you get (or make?) those hooks? In your pictures they look like stainless steel, or are they aluminum? I'll freakin use a coat hanger if I have to! Please let me know! YUM!

You can get them on the pit barrel cooker website.

Great looking Bird Alan, what do you think is the difference from cooking on the rack versus the hooks?

A few things. On the hook the chicken's fat renders fantastically and seems to baste itself. The dark meat is closer to the fire. Also, there's a fire roasting flavor that gets all the way into the meat. For some reason I get the best results cooking until the breast is 178. You need to try it. Just salt/pepper each side, put a little oil on and you're good.

You can use a regular grate. I cut one up by removing two opposite quarters of the bars to make it easy to get the chicken in and out.

Back