Babyback cook

K Kruger

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
This was a high-heat cook as I find higher heat more suitable for the relatively lower fat-to-lean ratio of back ribs.

I salted the ribs then rubbed with a blend of garlic, onion, thyme, sage, Greek oregano, Aleppo, extra hot NM chile,sugar, lemon peel powder, allsoicecinnamon and green pepper.

I Minioned the start, temps took a half hour to hit 250 lid then about 20 min to hit 300 and another 15-20 to hit 350. Cooked till nicely colored, about 90 min total, then foiled with juice/stock (ruby grapefruit I had just squeezed plus a little chicken stock) for 45 min when they were just tender. (Temps were 350-375 lid during the foil stage.)

I removed them from the foil, painted on a thin veneer of glaze (pomegranate molasses, calamondin liqueur, a little honey, butter) and returned them to the cooker while I finished the side dish, about 7 min more (temps 350). Rested 5, sliced and served.

Ribs off the grill:

bbackdone.jpg

Served, with a side of pasta in a sauce of baby peas, white wine reduction, shallots and Parmigiano-Reggiano:

ribpl3.jpg

Note the smokering (I like smokerings). Nice and wide on both sides with just a thin strip in the center untouched. I used hickory.

bbackclo.jpg

Thanks.

Nope, food costs don't enter in to the equation all that much for me. (I'll shop around for the lowest per-foot price for field fencing and always buy discount shoes but will happily pay $$/lb for good bison or great cheese!
icon_smile.gif
) I just prefer the fat-to-lean of spares and the more substantial 'heft' of the product. Backs always seem a bit--I dunno-dainty to me. But I really liked these. It's been a long time since I've smoked any--perhaps the tide is turning?

Kevin,

I've been doing almost solely B-Backs for quite a while now.

I get mine at Sanwa for 2.50-3.00 lb, and the convenience of a 3-4 hour cook makes them more spontaneous for us.

Welcome to the club......maybe.

How about a little more information on the cooking process, Keven......

I'm assuming this was on a WSM. Sounds like you had a empty water pan, and left all vents wide open?

Did you "roll" the ribs, or interlace them in a rib rack? Any turns or flips during the cook?

Thanks, and great post! I hope they were as good as they sound (and look!!!)

JimT

Jim--

Yes, no water in the pan. I had all vents wide open plus cracked the door a bit as my fuel was less than completely dry and i wanted to be sure the temps were high enough. I had ranch issues while the fuel (Kingsford) for the Minion start was getting going and didn't get back to dump it till it was past its 'prime'. (Maybe it's me: Though I do not use K'ford much I do use it on occasion for MM starts on lump. But the new formula seems to blow through available BTUs quickly. If you don't dump it sooner than not it loses its umph. My come-up was slower than planned as by the time I dumped it seemed like the lit had lost much of its power.)

The ribs I simply laid in a rack and curled the ends some so as not to have them hitting the edges of the grate. No flips, no turns.

They were very good. Very tasty; tender but with good exterior rub/surface texture--something I shoot for. I was rather pleased.

Terry--

Thanks.

How do you like your Caja China?

Followed this, except I used apple wood, and the ribs came out great! Thanks for sharing, Kevin.... ( yes its a bump from a couple years ago, but it seems easier than a new post making reference to this thread ).

Kevin, it has been a long time since I saw pics from you, and they did not dissapoint! BEAUTIFUL!!
Thanks for sharing!

I will give this a try on my WSM. I've done the indirect high heat on my Weber Kettle before (1.5 to 2 hrs.), so I'll be interested in the comparision.

Mr. Kruger I've been meaning to thank you for this post. I used this exact method for cooking backs a couple times now and they've turned out the best I've ever had in the shortest amount of time. I've become a HUGE fan of high heat cooking. No more overnighters for me.

Well, Mr. Clay, I am glad it has worrked well for you.

And the next time I am near Flower Mound...

Hey guys - going to do some HH BB Ribs tonight. Had a question...

How much Kingsford did you use for the MM start?

Thanks in advance!

PS - I'm going to try and document this with a full report and pics...

Back