Babyback cook

Not all that differently. The last I did, iirc, went jusu under two hours for the smoking period, till they reached desired color (I Minioned the start with ~25 lit, as usual), and maybe 40 in the foil to hit tender. I put them on the grate unfoiled for a few minutes to firm, applied a thin veneer or transparent glaze, and let that seize for a couple minutes; done. Right around 2:45 total I believe.

Depending on how you start and how long come=up takes, timing can vary. But if you go by visuals first (foiling when your ribs hit a nice rich color), then feel (cooking n the foil till a probe inserts between the bones effortlessly), there is little room for error.

Same temps for spares, Kevin? I've seen you write in related posts about how you generally cook spares at a little lower temp than loin ribs.

Same temps. Yes, I used to. About 275-285 or so. Now, I use those temps for untrimmed spares or for spares from fattier, non-commercial breeds. For SL spares from commercial or leaner non-commercial I use the same temps.

Back