Source for Brisket in San Jose

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clark Stone

TVWBB Member
Put a 7 lb brisket on the WSM at 7 am this morning, marinated overnite per the "Dallas Dandy Brisket" recipe in Smoke and Spice. This recipe turns out great in my old ECB, but this is first brisket test in the WSM. Trying the "Minion Method"-- has been chugging away at a steady 235 for the past three hours or so.

Does anyone have a good source for brisket in San Jose? I can get good-sized ones at Lunardi's (7-8 lbs), but they are expen$ive. No luck with Costco, Food-4-Less, Albertsons, Safeway. Do I have to move to Texas to get this cut at a decent price?

thanks,
Clark

I'm not in your area but some places to try is meat wholsalers, and the big grocery suppliers have outlets that sale to the food retail trade like Cash & Carry (may go by a different name in your area).
Some will require you to buy the case, but others will let buy singles. Everyone is looking for ways to sale more product.
I do understand that the price on brisket has climbed lately.
Jim

Jim-- thanks. I have seen on some of the other boards that "Smart and Final" seems to carry them. Sounds similar to your "Cash and Carry." Monterey Road store is not too far from home-- will check it out today.

Clark

Thanks for the reminder -- I'll check our Cash & Carry here in Eureka. Around here, not even Costco has brisket! I asked them at Costco the other day and they said they will have some when it is "in season" -- which the guy said is "late summer"!! I set him straight, but it didn't do any good. Sigh....

Kelly

Clark,
Smart and Final is your best bet.
I live up here in SF and there are several Smart and Final stores near me -- Daly City, South City.
They always have briskets.
From 7 to 13 pounds.
Usually about $1.25 per pound.
Not sure if they have one down in SJ, but it's worth checking the phone book!

HJP

I ran across this article while back...Apparently meat producers in the midwest are really suffering this spring, due to low prices, overproduction, and soft demand for pork/beef.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,50760,00.html

They mention brisket on sale in Texas for around $ 0.80 a pound. I haven't seen much change in pricing where I live lately, so maybe I'll have to move to Texas to get a good deal.... /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Just a follow-up

Cash & Carry in San Jose has cryovac select briskets 9-12 lbs. at $1.02 /lb.

I'll try one in the next couple of weeks to see how they compare to Lunardi's.

Clark

I am in Santa Cruz - I get my briskets at Freedom Meat Locker near Watsonville. About $2.00/lb and tasty as can be...

Got one sandwich left out of last weekend's 9.5 pound select brisket from Cash and Carry. Did it a-la Smoke and Spice "Dandy Dallas Brisket" recipe and cooked for 14.5 hours, Minion method (one load of Kingsford and very little vent adjusts).

Verdict: Deeee---licious!

Got a 10.5 pounder to try next.

Clark

hey y'all in San jose - old topic but some new information... Smart and Final in San Jose carries packer-cut briskets at all locations - Nob Hill now carries flats in San Jose and Santa Cruz (I work in SJ and live in SC). Shopper's Corner, a small grocery store/butcher shop in SC will take orders for brisket - they are top quality and delicious (price is a bit high). I was recently in Colorado - went to grocery stores and looked for brisket... every store had'em for around $1.40/lb. If the food channel keeps showing BBQ shows, maybe the stores will meet demand.

I'm holding a Kroger ad in my hand this minute.
It says, "U.S.D.A. Select Grain Fed Untrimmed
Wholesale Cut Boneless Beef Brisket- $.49 a pound"

This is a limit one with a $10.00 purchase. If this is what I need, I'm going to try my first use of my WSM.

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back