Mini-WSM Build attempts... EXTREMELY frustrated

Matt B.

TVWBB Super Fan
I am seeking some ideas here... For the past couple of weeks I've been making abortive attempts at building a Mini WSM. Here's the story:

I got the idea for the build by finding a brand new SJS at a resale shop. It was $9, but missing the screws and bolts. I already had suitable stainless hardware at the house, and had been seeing the many mini-wsm threads all over the internet. I thought it was serendipitous.

I went to the grocery store and got a $20 IMUSA pot and a $20 thermometer. I broke my grinder wheel in an attempt to remove the bottom from the pot, but I wasn't deterred. I got a new wheel, a clay saucer, and a bunch of nuts and bolts at the hardware store to use as grill holders. I got back to work, removed the bottom, and found the lid of the SJS wouldn't fit. No big deal... I beat the rim of the pot down with a rubber mallet and had a half-decent fit. Then, I drilled holes for my nuts and bolts and installed them. However, I drilled them low on the pot's walls and now it didn't seal with the bottom section of the SJS. One pot ruined. The clay saucer also broke.

I went back to the grocery store and got another pot for $20 and another clay saucer. The pot was completely the wrong size. I have yet to return it.

I want back AGAIN to the store, this time with measurements for the lid. I found a suitable pot and bought it. Everything was going well. I cut the bottom of it out and went to place it on the bottom section of the SJS so that the holes I was about to drill for the grate supports would be in the right place. It didn't fit the base. Too small to make a decent seal or be stable.
icon_frown.gif

I've spent $9 on an SJS, $20 on a thermometer, $40 in pots (not counting the $20 one I can still return), $15 in clay saucers, and about another $10 in hardware. I'm also out several dollars for the grinder, but I'm not figuring that in. At this point I'm just frustrated to the point of being sick. I'm $94 in the hole on this thing and I want to cut my losses. Then again, I really want that **** Mini.

I don't know what to do, guys... Should I just cut my losses or keep trying?

i guess the only thing i could suggest is to check everything first. you assumed to much. now if yer clumsy(saucer)i have no idea what to do there.

Yeah, the saucer was just a pure accident. I thought I had long enough supports for it, but the bolts were too short. As I lifted it off the base, the saucer fell through and shattered. You're absolutely right that I assumed too much.

If I do go forward with this, I'm checking and double checking everything on the next pot. It's not so much about the money, it's just a question of whether it's worth getting this mad about something I'm supposed to be having fun with.

Matt,
Seems that you had a run of bad luck. First, don;t let it discourage you. If you really want this, then you have to put a foolproof plan in place and go for it. I reccomed that you read the whole mini wsm thread. Do some more research on it.
When you're ready, buy your parts, dry fit everyrthing before you pick up a tool.
Remember those famous words, "Measure twice, cut once."
I wish you luck.
icon_cool.gif

Thanks, AJ.

I'm going to spend all of next week doing my research, sourcing properly fit parts, and literally drawing out my plan before I take anything under the grinder or drill.

I was so bummed out when I wrote this, earlier, but you guys are right. The solution is simple. I didn't properly plan. It's just been an all-around strange and stressful few weeks for me, and I've had some trouble seeing the forest for the trees. Thanks again.

the imusa branded one must be made in china. there are others out there that also work. so yea, make sure it fits first. i think that you will be very happy with it once yer done.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AJ S.:
This is the one I bought last year. It was at either Target or Walmart. Regardless, make sure it fits before you cut it!

Imusa.jpg
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's the one i'm using... Their qc is horrible, measurements are all over the place. They'll have 8 of those at the store and no two of them with the same dimensions. I'm actually curious about how they're able to make them so poorly.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by george curtis:
the imusa branded one must be made in china. there are others out there that also work. so yea, make sure it fits first. i think that you will be very happy with it once yer done. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I'm thinking about using another brand if I can find one.

Like Goerge said, it has to be one made in China. IMUSA makes them in differnet places, thus the different sizes. 32 qt can be different height and width.
You have to look at the country of origin on the label. I took mine for a walk over to the bbq area and test fit it before i bought it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AJ S.:
Like Goerge said, it has to be one made in China. IMUSA makes them in differnet places, thus the different sizes. 32 qt can be different height and width.
You have to look at the country of origin on the label. I took mine for a walk over to the bbq area and test fit it before i bought it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep, I just checked my labels. All made in China. I think part of my problem is I'm buying them at grocery stores that don't sell sjs... My next one will be from a store with some grills to check against.

I feel your pain, brother. I, too, ruined a pot on my first attempt. Took better measurements the second time around and got a better result, although not a perfect fit at the bottom.

Regards,
Chris

You dont need a clay saucer or a thermometer. If you like in a thermometer, rather than installing a built in one, invest in a Maverick ET 732 which can be used on any bbq and your indoor oven.

You can use the original steamer insert to hold a large aluminum pie pan as a difusser.

I used tin snips to cut out the bottom.

For sizing, you can always pack your SJ with you to the store but leave it in your car. Buy the pot, but check for a proper fit before you leave the parking lot.

I found the Vasconia 32 quart tamale pots available on Amazon are a perfect fit. I ordered three to assemble Smokey Jose kits for my sons and all three pots fit the three SJS grills I had aquired. May be a little more $$, but worth it IMO.

I just got a Vasconia 32 quart pot on Amazon and its a perfect fit it was $29.99 with free shipping. I just checked amazon and the price went up to $38.99. I guess I better read up before I make my cuts dont want to mess it up

And off to Amazon I go...

Thanks! I drove all over Houston this past sunday going to every mexican grocery store and measuring pots like some kind of mental defective. I'll pay more to be sure. They look to be better quality, anyway.

Yes Matt thats the one I purchased on Feb 15 and received feb 20th with the free shipping. I just tried to review the product on Amazon for you. Bummer that it went up $10 in the last day or 2 but it fits perfect on my SJS with a date code of DE. Hopefully that help

That's the one I got.
I will use the knob on the lid on the end of a bolt to make an extended lower vent control on the SJS. Takes a metric thread bolt, so take the knob to a hardware store to get the right bold, nuts, and washers.

Awesome, it's a done deal.

Clark, thanks for the idea on the adjuster knob. I'm just using a bit of threaded stock and a couple nuts, but was wondering if there might be a classier option.

Back