The Virtual Weber Bullet The Virtual Weber Bullet
TVWB Homepage TVWB Product Info TVWB Cooking Topics TVWB Opeating Tips & Mods TVWB Videos TVWB Resources TVWB Shopping
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: wind screen

TVWBB Pro
    Hi All,

I've scoured this forum using a search for wind screen and read everything I could about all the great ideas. Such a great site this is.

I think I'm going to start building one similar to these pics, http://www.imagestation.com/album/pi...7305093&idx=11. And I saw another guy that built one very much the same but out of plywood.

I want to do the same with the 4 sides and a top all hinged together type idea.

I would like to use a material that is not only study, but lightweight, and heat resistent. I would like to build the hinges as such that I can fold it all up together basically into a single sheet for easy transport.

I'm not as much concerned about the insulation factor because I think I'll take and create a separate jacket for that later on.

I was thinking of plexiglass but I do not know if it would hold up under the heat and I guess if it's too thick, it gets pretty heavy.

Any suggestions for material type that is lightweigh, but stong and sturdy, and if I make the sucker pretty air tight, it won't melt under the heat?

Thanks,
    Todd

TVWBB All-Star Clark "Harbormaster" Hodgson's Avatar
    Todd,
    I made the windscreens out of sheets of 2'x4'x1/4" plywood that are set into 2'x2' (ripped 2x4s) frames that are dadoed so the plywood sits in a groove on all 4 sides. pic, pic This because it was cheap. You could do the same, make 2x2 frames and inset pieces of sheet metal. I would think this would be lighter than plywood.
    I don't know how heat resistant plexiglass would be.
    As far as mobility, mine fold up into just larger than 2'x4', and unfold to being over 4'x4'. I made 2 so they will completely surround a single WSM. Since mine ar against a wall, I can use both screens in unison with the wall to completely surround 2 WSMs.
    One gorgeous wife, three wonderful boys, and a whole lotta charcoal Webers

TVWBB Pro
    Ya, that's the ticket. Nice idea with the frames and groves. I like those. Sheet metal...excellent idea and should be a lot cheaper than plex. Thanks for the response and pics.

TVWBB Pro
    Some ideas here too including the one you posted pics of.

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/coldtemp.html
    Matt Jones
    ---------------------------------
    1 x 22 1/2 One-Touch Gold
    1 x WSM

TVWBB Member
    I'm cheap and lazy. I just cut a 4x8 sheet of plywood in thirds and reconnected the pieces with piano hinges. It makes a nice triangle around the cooker and leaves just a small gap at the front should I need to access the door or front vent.

TVWBB Super Fan
    I don't have the cold weather issues some of you have in the winter months, so I'm thinking of a different route. Since I don't need the insulation due to the cold, I was thinking about using a 55 gal drum. Cut both the top and bottom off of it, then cut it in half. You will then have 2 rings (I have 2 WSM's) that could be lowered around the bottom section of your cooker to block the wind from your vents. Then again you might be able to cut the rings in half and place hinges on it and kinda clasp it around the bottom, in this way you would have access to your door. If its too tight around your cooker, I guess you could drill some air holes around the bottom of your ring for some ventelation but still block the brunt of the wind. Just a thought....I'm not sure about the diameter of a 55 gal drum.

TVWBB Pro
    I use the 55 gallon drum which I have cut in half and hinged the back side. I use hinges that I can pull out the pin so the halves fit inside each other for storage or transport. I also added handles on the front to help in opening and closing. Also, I added a bracket with an aluminum tube into which I can insert and old umbrella to ward off precipitation. This really works great, especially out on the ice when cooking for our guiding clients. Works well with the Weber kettle as well.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/106/2...a348449b7a.jpg

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/103/2...f04d80a542.jpg

TVWBB Super Fan
    Thanks Dan, I especially like the umbrella holder.

TVWBB Pro
    Thanks all for the ideas. Clark, I want to go with your suggestion. I like the idea of having 2 bifolds basically being able to fold together for easy transportation. I need them to be weather resistant. The sheet metal is an excellent idea, but I found out that neither home depot or lowes sell it in sheets larger than 48"x24" and even those are very expensive. So I was looking at fiber glass sheet board, like what goes in a bathroom, but the guy at Lowes didn't think it would stand up to the heat very well. He suggested treated plywood. But, then I'm getting real heavy again. I toyed with the idea of aluminum flashing but that only came in 20" wide. Lastly, I found some metal roofing that came in 3' by 8' sheets which would work, but it's corrugated, which might be ok. It's about $28 per sheet and I'd need 2 so I'm still looking at $60. But it might also be pretty heavy. For the framing, I found 2"x2" composite deck railing spindles at Grossman's Bargain Outlet for $4 per 12', which seems like a very good price. I think I would need about 5 of them so $20 doesn't seem bad for that. I'm still up in the air as to what to use for the panels.
    Todd

TVWBB Fan
    I purchased a car interior insulation blanket from J.C. Whitney after reading about it in an earlier thread. You can stand it up in a circle around the WSM with a clearance of about 2 inches. Velcro is used to hold it almost closed. A small gap is necessary for air flow.
    WSM 18.5, Weber 22.5 OTS, Weber CharQ

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast