Where do you buy your smoke wood?

Jeff Calhoun

TVWBB Fan
I've been buying my wood from my local Barbeques Galore store. It's costing me a fortune. I'm assuming most of the pros here buy wood in bulk or cut down their own trees. Where do you get your smoke wood?

Jeff, These days I buy mine from Smokinlicious. Their wood is excellent. Link for you.
icon_biggrin.gif

smokinlicious.com and very satisfied. the WSM takes what they call their double filet size. click on products on the left of their home page, then click on wood chunks and scroll down. If you go for the mixture, you can specify wood type on the check out page "comments to vendor" box here's the link
However, as usual, Bryan beat me to it. The man is quick.
icon_biggrin.gif

both times i have ordered wood online i ordered cherry from smokinliscious. was not disappointed either time. great product and very reasonable shipping time being that it is 25+pounds of wood being shipped.

Another vote for Smokinlicious from me. Good quality, center-cut wood with no bark.

You can easily order off their website, but I suggest shooting them an email or giving a call. Sometimes they have woods available that aren't listed. They are very nice and helpful...a well run operation.

For those in and around the Kansas City area, I get mine at a local BBQ store called Smoke N Fire. They sell everything you could possibly want related to grilling, smoking or outdoor cooking. They typically have about 15 choices of wood in stock.

Smoke N Fire

I was just there earlier today and they indicated that their website would soon be offering online ordering.

I'm a pretty lucky guy in this respect. I can walk out behind my house about a hundred yards and hit 5-6 apple trees in the field and then into the woods and I have oak and maple. A few miles up the road I can get cherry and some hickory along with many other kinds including grape vines. A neighbor gave me some peach cuttings last fall. Can't wait to try that on some pork. I live in NW NY and the woods around here have all you could want for smoking and grilling. Just pick up the limbs where you find them and take home.

Jeff
Not sure what part of So-Cal you are in but ther is a Great, Super friendly guy in Anaheim that runs a place called the "Woodshed" he sells burlap sacks of wood for BBQ. His supply varies but they are about 25lbs for about half the price. Last time I was there I picked up some Maple and Red Oak. Let me know if you want more details I'll go out and get his card from my truck
icon_wink.gif

I get mine from the local orchards. They were out pruning the other day and they said I could have all the apple trimings I want.Most was in the 2-3" dia.When we go picking in the fall I ask if they have any wood and I come out with great apples and a bundle of wood. They will be doing there peach trees next. Have plenty of wild Black Cherry,Oak and Hickory behind the house.
Guess I'm lucky also.
Mike

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Let me know if you want more details </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Bill, I'd be interested in his information. My office is in Brea. What does he sell the 25lb bag for?

When I used sawdust I got mine from a local butcher who cuts up my venison for me. It was a 5 blend of different woods. Now I buy small bags of wood chips at wal mart. Something like $2 for a small bag. The cost was just as good as the 40lb bags I got from the butcher for $12.

I have actually been buying off of ebay. 25lbs of cherry for $27 and maple for the same. I think the apple I purchased cost about $30 for 25lbs!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LarryR:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Let me know if you want more details </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Bill, I'd be interested in his information. My office is in Brea. What does he sell the 25lb bag for? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Larry,
It's "The Woodshed" owned by Mike Sharp
1015 N. Batavia
Orange, CA
714-771-2626

I honestly can't remember what he charged, but it does depend on what wood you are looking for.

Where did you go wine tasting?

Thanks Bill, next time I'm at the office I'll be sure to pay Mike a visit. I found his website but there's not a lot of content there. Probably a good opportunity for someone local with some good web skills to maybe talk about a barter situation with Mike.

We tasted up here in the Central Valley. They had a "wine and chocolate" weekend. About 8 or nine wineries participated. Nothing like Napa, Sonoma or even Paso but for the Central Valley it was a fun event and I did taste/purchase some world class cheese.

I have cherry and maple on my property, so that's no problem.

When I first started BBQing, I notified just about everyone I know that I was looking for smoke wood. If they're pruning or cutting down a fruit or hardwood tree I'd be interested in having some.

Now the only wood I buy is the occasional bag of hickory from Home Depot.

I have purchased from this place. So. Cal. Firewood

They are not WSM ready - "Logs are spilt into 3-4 inch diameters and are 16-18 inches long"

I use a cordless reciprocal saw and then an ax to get them to fist size.

Back