Cinnamon and other bacon

Bob Correll

R.I.P. 3/31/2022
I started with one half of a pork belly, rind removed by the butcher.
The hog was pen raised by a small local farm.

I cut the half into thirds after curing, rinsing and resting uncovered on a rack in the fridge for a day.

1/3 left plain.
1/3 with a fresh ground pepper mix.
1/3 with cinnamon and sugar.
Applied just before smoking.
IMGP9767.JPG

IMGP9763.JPG

IMGP9766.JPG

Smoked on the Performer.
6 lit K-blue and a piece of hickory to start.
IMGP9768.JPG

IMGP9769.JPG

Additional coals and wood added during the smoke.
IMGP9774.JPG

IMGP9775.JPG

IMGP9783.JPG

I forgot to note the total smoke time, but about 5 hrs. to reach 135 internal with the hood temp kept in the 150 to 160 range.
Airtight bagged and plunged into ice water to rapidly cool.

Time for a taste test of the cinnamon slab.
Trimmed end pieces frying.
IMGP9826.JPG

Sampled straight, and on some beer bread with butter and strawberry jam.
IMGP9831.JPG

I don't mean to brag, but this is the best bacon I've ever eaten, and I honestly wondered how I could start making/selling it commercially.
The plain and peppered bacon are great, but the cinnamon is better.

My ratio of sugar to cinnamon was 6 to 1.
I added 6 TBS. sugar to 1 TBS. cinnamon, and this amount was much more than needed for a small piece.
My cinnamon was a bit dated, if using fresh you may need less.

Thanks for viewing!

Last edited:
Humm BoB....I cant stand cinnamon. But..And dont get me wrong..Im not in to animals...But that bacon looks Sexy! Pics is as always mediocre
icon_wink.gif

Keep it up Mate!
icon_cool.gif

Thanks for the update and pics Bob! Looks super! I've been sticking pretty much to the straight up version with nothing added after the cure and rinse but I'm due to try this!

Thanks again for the report!

This looks AWESOME Bob!!
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> this is the best bacon I've ever eaten, and I honestly wondered how I could start making/selling it commercially </div></BLOCKQUOTE>a couple of samples to local restaurants may be your ticket into the bacon business Bob!
You'll need MORE Weber Kettles AND help!
I'll quit my job and move to STL
icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jim Lampe:
This looks AWESOME Bob!!
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> this is the best bacon I've ever eaten, and I honestly wondered how I could start making/selling it commercially </div></BLOCKQUOTE>a couple of samples to local restaurants may be your ticket into the bacon business Bob!
You'll need MORE Weber Kettles AND help!
I'll quit my job and move to STL
icon_biggrin.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll second this!! Do you need a cook's assistant???
icon_biggrin.gif

Very interesting! I saw your post over on the Charcuterie page and hoped this was coming. Beautiful stuff!

A few questions for you:

1. Did you use your normal cure and just add the cinnamon/sugar at the end?

2. When you and Jim get your bacon business going, can I come too? My bacon resume is somewhere in this forum, and I'd really love to make bacon all day.

Wow Bob, I can only imagine how good that cinnamon bacon was. I'll be in St. Louis in a coupe weeks and would be willing to stop by to sample it to verify that it worthy to be sold commercially
icon_smile.gif

Great idea to bump the tread this will help a lot, and thanks for the reply.
Oh Barb and I were in Costco a few days ago and guess what no pork belly's. Manager of the meat dept. said he's ordered more but there is such a demand for the belly's all of a sudden he doesn't know how many or if any he's going to get. Order comes in today I've got his card and will call this afternoon.

Last edited:
Well Rich, I bumped it, then un-bumped it since I always feel bad doing that to my own threads.

I was afraid Costco would stop carrying bellies, but sounds like the demand is there, so maybe not yet.
Hope the hog supply holds out!

Update:
Called Costco today as the meat manager suggested and I was told that the got enough pork bellies to fill an eight foot cooler.
Went over and got one, I've never seen that much pork at Costco before two 10 ft. coolers back to back with six footers at each end. Stuffed with SL spares, BBs, butts, pork roasts of all types. Really amazing, all for labor day.
FYI the belly went from $2.29 a pound to $2.79, still a fair price.

WOW!!!! Bob that looks so delicious could eat the hole things. Like Rich said we have another PB and going to be trying your Sugar and Cinnamon on that one. Will post in 10 days.

Well Rich, I bumped it, then un-bumped it since I always feel bad doing that to my own threads.
THIS is EXACTLY the type of thread that needs to be a rerun, bumped, replay, call it whatever you like, This Is A Training Thread!
Many new people here can benefit from info in this thread.
Never feel bad about bumping up an old post of Great Magnitude! :D

holey****! You're old! I was like 10 years old when that was a hit... Johnny Simble?

edit, I see now Cymbal.

Last edited:

Back