Best Way To Reheat

Josh-NY

I've pretty much decided on precooking meats for an upcoming BBQ. What are your opinions on reheating so that food takes as good as, or better than, coming right off the smoker?

Can you give details about the methods you use? Thank you
Josh

i've always just used food on paper plate, another paper plate on top of that..(dont know why, lol) and wrapped in paper towel. recently discovered to put microwave at half power, or even slightly more is fine. keep eye out for not to zap em to long and I think you'll agree, this also beats ovens and plastic bag boiling, and I forgot all the stuff i've read. Briskit is esp. good this way. I may be the only one to say this but it seems to get more smoky or ...something, but not to much. anyway there you go I don't know thats just little old me. thank you _Dan edit: WET PAPER TOWEL, sorry. Also noticed you may be talkin big bbq, so maybe you should talk to someone about oven... not sure.

Josh if you don't already have one, I would highly suggest you get a foodsaver or other vacuum type machine. They will pay for themselves in no time and you will always have great BBQ available in your freezer.

Here's how I do cater jobs or food I sell.

Cook the BBQ as usual, then either pull the pork or slice the brisket etc., then quickly thoroughly cool the meat. After the meat is thoroughly cooled I then vacuum seal the according to my planned event and freeze. A couple hours before the planned event I will put the vacuum bags into a turkey fryer pot full of cold water and bring to a simmer with the lid on. Depending on the amount of meat in each bag reaheating can take 20-60 minutes. I will then leave the bags in the water until it's time to serve at which time I put the hot meat into chaffing dishes and keep the extra meat in the post of water until needed.

This method works great for pulled pork, brisket, ribs and I just did chicken thighs for the first time last week too that came out great.

All of the vacuum sealed meat will practically last forever as long as it's kept frozen and will taste as good or better than it did the day you cooked it!

Originally posted by Larry Wolfe:
then either pull the pork or slice the brisket etc., then quickly thoroughly cool the meat. UOTE]

After pulling or slicing, what method have you found works best for the quick cool?
Dave (Pats fan)
icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave/G:
then either pull the pork or slice the brisket etc., then quickly thoroughly cool the meat. UOTE]

After pulling or slicing, what method have you found works best for the quick cool?
Dave (Pats fan)
icon_biggrin.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

After the meat has cooled sufficiently, I will spread the meat out on a sheet pan as thin as possible and then into the chest freezer for 45 minutes to an hour until the meat has firmed up. The vacuum seal and freeze.

Though I don't like the water method for brisket I do for some other things, especially pulled pork or beef, but I agree with larry on the utility of a vacuum machine. It makes so many things possible, easier, or more convenient.

Heed the admonition to cool quickly. More often than not, it's what happens to foods after cooking that point toward food safety issues on consumption.

Guys,
This is what I did last night. Tell me if you find fault with anything here as far as cooling and then refrigerating are concerned.
I smoked a meatloaf, 3 lbs. It came off the smoker at 8 pm. I let it sit on the kitchen table with a piece of foil just draped over it for 30 minutes after which I sliced the whole thing. Then I let it sit out with a piece of waxed paper draped over it for about 1-1 1/4 hours. I then put it in the fridge with only the waxed paper covering it after feeling it for coolness
Thank you, Dave

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave/G:
Guys,
This is what I did last night. Tell me if you find fault with anything here as far as cooling and then refrigerating are concerned.
I smoked a meatloaf, 3 lbs. It came off the smoker at 8 pm. I let it sit on the kitchen table with a piece of foil just draped over it for 30 minutes after which I sliced the whole thing. Then I let it sit out with a piece of waxed paper draped over it for about 1-1 1/4 hours. I then put it in the fridge with only the waxed paper covering it.
Thank you, Dave </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't think you're going to have a problem, but here are a couple things I would do differently next time.

After you slice it spread it out, this will help cool faster. Depending on how thick the slices were, I would say it would be cooled sufficiently after a half hour max.

Then I would cover it with plastic wrap vs. wax paper and place in the fridge. Without thoroughly wrapping the meat, the refrigerator will pretty much dehydrate the meat, ground meat even faster.

If you plan on vac sealing I would put the slices in the freezer for at least 45 minutes to firm it up and solidify the fats, otherwise the vacuum will flatten your slices and draw the juice out of the meat.

Yup. Agreed.

Though you don't need to cover at all, doing so keeps any flying critters that might show up off; covering in the fridge keeps off spills from above and keeps the air from the fridge's fan off the food's surface.

The operative number to remember is 70. Cooling fairly quickly to 70F or below is the main concern. Though still in the DZ, the bacteria we're most concerned about here is Staph*, and though growth can occur still, as long as the temps are below 70 and falling, Staph will not grow sufficiently to produce toxin in the time it takes for continued cooling to bring the food to <40F. Slicing and spreading out can help during the initial cooling phase as can cooling on cake cooling racks.

* Other bacterial contamination is possible after cooking but is most often caused by cross contamination--placing the meat on unclean or insufficiently cleaned surfaces during cooling, using unclean or insufficiently cleaned utensils or hands, adding unpasteurized food(s) to the cooked food, etc. I'm assuming proper food safety protocols above, but one needs to be on top of this.

Cook the BBQ as usual, then either pull the pork or slice the brisket etc., then quickly thoroughly cool the meat. After the meat is thoroughly cooled I then vacuum seal the according to my planned event and freeze. /QUOTE]

Larry, if you were to be serving the meat with 2-3 days after you cooked it, would you still freeze it? I do have a foodsaver, by the way, which I made sure to register for when I got married
icon_cool.gif

I have one for you guys, what if I cook up all my food, pork butts, the day before an event and want to reheat it the next day? What's the best way to hold and prepare the butt the next day?

For butts, I pull after resting, cool well, then FoodSaver and fridge. (If holding more than 72 hours I usually freeze.)

I do the boiling water thing for vac'd pulled pork usually. I tend to fridge or freeze in longer bags that I fill but flatten before sealing (rather than pack thickly on the bottom of the bag). These go into boiling water, I cover the pot, let it go 5 min or so, then shut it off, and leave them be for 20 min or so.

If doing a large amount of pork, I usually empty the bags into hotel or roasting pans, cover, then reheat in a 300 oven, stirring periodically after the first 25-30 min or so.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Josh:
Larry, if you were to be serving the meat with 2-3 days after you cooked it, would you still freeze it? I do have a foodsaver, by the way, which I made sure to register for when I got married
icon_cool.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

YES, I would but it's not really necessary. I am pretty anal about how long I keep meat in the refrigerator. Take into consideration that people may take food home with them.........if you have it sitting in the fridge for 2-3 days and they take it home and eat it the next day or the day after, then you're eating food that has been around for up to 5 days. Food that was cooked, chilled, reheated, sat out for whatever function it was being served at, chilled again and then reheated again several days later. Freezing it won't necessarily make it any, but at least I took every precaution I could to assure things were as safe as possible. Again it's just me being anal......

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jason Smith:
I have one for you guys, what if I cook up all my food, pork butts, the day before an event and want to reheat it the next day? What's the best way to hold and prepare the butt the next day? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If it was for the next day, I would pull, season and cool. Then I would fill serving pans 3/4 of the way with the pork (this allows enough room to stir the meat), cover and reheat at 300* (like Kevin suggested). If you plan on saucing before you serve, I would add the sauce while reheating. You may also want a little apple juice handy to moisten the pork if it begins to dry. Keep the foil closed and do not over heat, that will help to keep things moist.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">and do not over heat </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
This is critical. People sometimes forget that they are reheating, not cooking. Temps need only get to 'safe' (in reality: all parts of the food item to 130F);reheating to high temps can blow the finish one so carefully created when the food was originally cooked.

Though pulled pork can take higher temps, usually, as can pulled beef and other fattier meat cuts, foods like brisket, turkey breast, pork loin, fish, etc., can edge toward dry rather quickly if over-reheated. A good target for these foods is 145/150--which is a good serving temp too.

Sorry to rehash an old thread but I am confused and could use some guidance. If I want to cook a couple of Tri-Tips to Vac Seal and freeze for later enjoyment how would I go about doing it? My understanding is that upon pulling off the grill I would want to place in the freezer for a couple of hours before vacuum sealing as this would help to eliminate the moisture from being sucked out of the bag when sealing. Is this correct? My other question is do I want to slice the meat before sealing and freezing or should I place the meat whole in the bag?
Your experience and knowledge is greatly appreciated.

Back