WSM Mods Done

G Savrnoch

TVWBB Super Fan
Welp.....it's so cold tonight here in southern Ontario (-24C with wind chill) so instead of cooking I did some mods.

Of course these are not my ideas just using the ideas of others here so thanks to the community for sharing.

I did the handle mod based on advice of others here. With a little manipulation they fit perfect. Found them in black at the Home Depot and thought they matched well with the WSM.

29B7D734-9E2D-4AD9-B4C3-2329A0F5C99C_zpseeg1kbcu.jpg

Then did the probe wire mod using the lamp repair kit - worked like a charm complete with the cap to finish it off.

228CBD6A-D35A-47EC-BF2A-6F78E5F32FF7_zpsefntuajp.jpg

42834381-FFFB-4C5B-BC0E-E59E520F3EA1_zpstaek5qyb.jpg

Thanks again to all the members who came up with these ideas and shared them.

Now my only problem is the Weber cover won't fit with the new handles......any ideas or work around for that one?

Last edited:
Some room amongst camping gear, bikes, scooters, tools, etc...etc... more room on patio. Oh and hello to another Halton resident :).

When I modded my WSM 22 and added handles the Weber cover still fit but I made my handles snugger to the body so they only stuck out as far as the lid one. You can always look into the Classic Accessories brand covers as they are a tad wider and have great warranties. I picked mine up from the Amazon warehouse as "Used" like new and it was only because it was a open box. I use these covers on all my grills and they are great. The WSM22 uses a large so not 100% positive what a 18 version would use..

This is what it looks like with my handles installed...

My handles stick out about this far...

Back