WSM Brisket tips for a newbie?

John_H

TVWBB Member
I just purchased a prime brisket from Sam's and will be doing the cook on Saturday. I am new to Brisket but have had the 18" and 22" WSM for about 10 years. Before I start, I wanted to give a big shout out to Chris for taking the time to do the extremely detailed report on Camp Brisket. I've read it 3 times. I know that taking all those notes during the camp took up valuable time while you were there. All that extra work doesn't go unnoticed. Thanks Chris. I spent several hours (actually more than I care to admit) watching videos about trimming Briskets this past weekend. I've also been doing research on cook times, temps, wrapping etc. I have ordered butcher paper and a Victorinox boning knife to trim the Brisket. Also, bought a larger cutting board I've been needing for some time. So my questions are as follows:

1) I've got accustomed to not using water on my other cooks with ribs and butts. Should I use the water pan for Brisket?
2) Most articles I read said to the put the larger point end towards the fire. On a WSM there isn't a "fire end". Anything I need to know about this?
3) If I want to have a brisket dinner (exact time not really crucial in quarantine) what time should i put my average size packer brisket on? I'm sure, just like a butt, this can vary quite a bit but I want to be in the ballpark.
4) What is the consensus on misting/mopping? I never considered this necessary on butts but I know a brisket is much different.
5) Any other tips (or web videos or articles) you could give in general or specific to smoking brisket on the WSM?
6) Recommended sauce for the brisket? I know some don't do sauce but I'm sure my family will want some and I want one that will pair well with the beef.

Thanks in advance for all your help and stay safe,

John

I just purchased a prime brisket from Sam's and will be doing the cook on Saturday. I am new to Brisket but have had the 18" and 22" WSM for about 10 years.
John

John,
You have 10 years worth of experience with the WSM. It will serve you well. Here are my 2 cents:
1) I've got accustomed to not using water on my other cooks with ribs and butts. Should I use the water pan for Brisket?
It's probably 50/50 among the group. I put a gallon or so in the pan and don't refill it. I don't wrap in foil or paper.
2) Most articles I read said to the put the larger point end towards the fire. On a WSM there isn't a "fire end". Anything I need to know about this?
That advice pertains to an offset smoker. For the WSM the consensus seems to be "fat side down".
3) If I want to have a brisket dinner (exact time not really crucial in quarantine) what time should i put my average size packer brisket on? I'm sure, just like a butt, this can vary quite a bit but I want to be in the ballpark.
A 10-pounder will take about 12-13 hours at about 240-260. Overnight is my choice.
4) What is the consensus on misting/mopping? I never considered this necessary on butts but I know a brisket is much different.
I have had best results by keeping the lid closed for almost the entire cook. Misting with apple cider vinegar/water mix about an hour or so before it's done seems to take some of the bitterness out of the bark.
5) Any other tips (or web videos or articles) you could give in general or specific to smoking brisket on the WSM?
It doesn't need to be a complicated cook. Keep the temp stable and use the "probe test" for doneness and you should be ok. When you take it off, it's best to let it cool down to about 170 internal and then wrap it tight in foil and rest it in a cooler with old towels for insulation. 3 hours is a good rest period. Makes a difference. An overnight cook starting at around midnight works good for next day dinner.
6) Recommended sauce for the brisket? I know some don't do sauce but I'm sure my family will want some and I want one that will pair well with the beef.
Since I'm in Central Texas, a not-too-thick tomato-based sauce is preferred. If you can get your hands on Aaron Franklin's Espresso sauce, it's money on a brisket.

Let us know how you make out.

Jeff

Thanks for taking time to answer Jeff. As a side note, Does AF's Expresso sauce have a coffee flavor to it?

1. I've never used water in the pan for brisket (or anything for that matter). For long cooks like brisket and pork shoulder, I make sure my bowl is wrapped with clean foil.

2. Don't worry about the point end. If you are really anal, you could rotate your cooking grate a 1/4 turn every hour. I cook fat side up with fat trimmed to less than 1/4-inch. I trim pretty aggressively because I get my packer briskets at a wholesale club. I keep the trimmings to make tallow and hamburgers.

3. Overnight for sure. Give yourself plenty of time. Sometimes you get a stall, sometimes you don't. If your cook finishes early, use a dry cooler. You'd be amazed how long a brisket will keep temp in a dry cooler.

4. Nope. No mop, no mist, no holy water. Even for competition BBQ, I think its a waste. A brisket is such a big piece of meat, compared to ribs, that you're not likely to get much out of it. Some people swear that an acidic mist helps with the smoke ring but I'm not so sure. If I really want a smoke ring (which I don't really care about when cooking at home) I make sure I put the brisket on cold.

5. Keep it simple. If you go wild on your first brisket cook, you'll have too many variables as you try to perfect hone your recipe in the future.

6. Brisket can be very rich with all that delicious rendered fat so I would go with something with a spicy kick (Gates is my fave for this application) or an acidic vinegary bite (I make my own using Old Pit as a base--which is a story for another post). I can't imagine putting a high-sugar sauce on brisket unless making burnt ends (which also is for another post).

My last brisket foray:
49698856803_4af9a0c338_c.jpg

Last edited:
John, here is a link to high heat brisket from the cooking topics on this site. I've used it several times with amazing results.
Good luck, and remember to post pics!
Tim

Mathew, Thanks for the advice. Especially #5. I've often thought of that with other cooks. If you're changing too many variables, you don't know what worked and what didn't because you're changing so many things.

Tim, Thanks for that post. I did read that and am interested. I think for my first cook I'm doing low and slow but have read that some restaurants cook at higher temps which intrigues me. I'll try to post pics after my cook on Saturday.

Make sure to wrap in butcher paper once the bark is set, best chance at a moist brisket IMO.

Back