Winter Grilling

Chris Nauman

TVWBB Member
For those of us who experience sub zero temps, what are you grilling guidelines, tips, experiences?

This will be my first year going for a year round grilling venture and would like to hear your thoughts. I'm sure keeping the lid closed, allowing for extended cook times and keeping a path shoveled/clear are on the top of the list, but what else do you recommend?

Between gas or charcoal, is one more beneficial over the cooler months than the other? I'd guess gas would be easier to control, but that's just a guess.

Or... is it really not that big of a deal?

gas?

actually Chris, grilling in the winter cold months is no different than grillin' in the hot summer months.
the only difference is the clothing you wear (or don't wear).

summer time, you hang around the grill with a cold beer. in flipflops
winter time, you hang around the grill with a cold beer. in Sorels

Ambient temperature doesn't matter much but a cold north wind can really affect your temps. I find the 5 foot snow banks around the kettle make an effective wind break.

I grill and smoke year round. In the winter it does take the smoker more time to get up to temp, but other than that no really big difference

I've used my WSM at temps near -20F. Works as normal, just needs a bit more fuel and vent openings. Less difference that I thought it would be.

Gas grills does not work too well at such temps. At least you'll need to keep the tank inside until you are going to use it.

Last edited:
I don't think I have ever had a real big difference in fuel used in cold winter as opposed to summer time. The biggest difference for me is I don't mind waking up to do a meat temp check/ fuel check in my boxers for overnight summer smoking, but in the winter you have to get some actual clothes and boots on.
:rolleyes:

Interesting,..you guys are always such a great source of knowledge. But I will have to say that in my experience (I mostly use royal oak) that my fire will burn faster and go out faster after grilling in the winter time, even without the wind. But my patio is not protected from wind.

Time to pull out the wind break and welder's blanket or wool blanket.

Buy an egg?!?! LOL Surely you jest!

Last edited:
I like my kettle better for wintertime. It will adapt more quickly. This year I will have the 26, last I had my 22. As others have said, it's more the wind that will play havoc with cookers. A temporary shelter will work wonders if you are using a WSM for winter cooks.
Oh yea and Coffee Royale for me instead of beer during the winter!

gas?

actually Chris, grilling in the winter cold months is no different than grillin' in the hot summer months.
the only difference is the clothing you wear (or don't wear).

summer time, you hang around the grill with a cold beer. in flipflops
winter time, you hang around the grill with a cold beer. in Sorels

Ditto, summer is a lot more enjoyable.

F'real. I guess I have nothing against them, per se, but please-- I'm a Weber guy!
Matt, I'm a Weber guy also but, when it is zero-20 below I don't have to drag out wind blocks. I just light the egg and the ceramic's is the wind block. It blocks the cold wind 100 times better than metal. Just reality. There are other products that work real well.

Interesting,..you guys are always such a great source of knowledge. But I will have to say that in my experience (I mostly use royal oak) that my fire will burn faster and go out faster after grilling in the winter time, even without the wind. But my patio is not protected from wind.

Regina Michigan might be an exception. I have never in my life experienced a colder night then while visiting my brother in West Bloomfield Hills. I thought I was going to freeze to death. I dont believe even a Weber could have withstood the cold of that night. :eek:

As has been said, it's all about the wind. I've been out on a very cold winter night and with no wind, it's almost pleasant. When it's windy, I can't get inside fast enough. Pretty much the same with the cooking. If not windy, cookers pretty much work as they do in the summer. If windy, they are harder to deal with. I'm lucky enough to have a porch with a covered roof and walls the block the prevailing wind. I recommend getting the cooker as close to your door as safely possible. I primarily use my gasser in the winter. It's just outside of my sliding door. So I pretty much stay inside and just kind of jump in and out as the food needs tending. It's a little more work, but I love having grilled food in the winter. You should see the looks I get at work went I tell them about dinner and it's steak in the middle of January. Well worth it - even for me - someone who doesn't really like winter at all.

I primarily use my gasser in the winter. It's just outside of my sliding door. So I pretty much stay inside and just kind of jump in and out as the food needs tending.
c'mon Jerry... really? a GAS grill??
what fun is THAT?!
...I love having grilled food in the winter.
cookin' on a gas grill in winter OR summer is only moving your stove OUTSIDE :p

:) Steve you crack me up! But I understand, being from California your blood is thinner. Believe me though, it takes us here in Michigan a little time to get used to the bitter cold nights, especially as Jerry has mentioned when it is windy. I will grill in the winter, but not if it is below 20 degrees. I admire the guys who also live in cold winter climates when I see their snow paths to the grill. I do like the winter though, not so much the driving in snow and ice. That's when I bring out my arsenal of indoor cooking of stews, gumbo, roasts, etc...then sitting by a warm fire.

That's when I bring out my arsenal of indoor cooking of stews, gumbo, roasts, etc...then sitting by a warm fire.

Not a thing wrong with that.....................................

Last edited:

Back