Will I die if I smoke a meatloaf below 300?

Will R.

TVWBB Fan
I have been smoking meatloves lately and never had a problem with the temp. falling. I cranked the WSM between 375 and 400 (as always) to make up for the temp. drop when I add the loaves. I did this as usual and left. After messing around the house for close to an hour, the temp. read just below 250. I don't know how long it stayed like that but I added more fuel to kick it up but nothing really is happening. The internal temp. of the loaves is just under 150.

Specifics to help out:
The outside temp. is 70 degrees with a very slight breeze. Each loaf weighs about 2.5 lbs. and on the top rack. Top vent is open with therm. through one hole. Bottom vents open. Meat was a little colder than normal when I added.

Bottom line...will my family and I die Iif I serve this (since the internal is closing in on 160 and is within the normal cook time) or should I toss the meat?

BTW, if I die, I have 3 WSMs, a Weber 22 1/2 kettle, Weber Chimney starter, smoke wood (apple, cherry, hickory, and pecan) and a variety of other gadgets that will be available upon my death. First come first served.

If it were me, I'd enjoy the meatloaf.
Experts like KK might be able to give a better answer. Where do we sign up in the unlikely event....

Thanks for the advice...or did you give that to get the stash?

Anyway, after looking at all the variables, especially the internal temp. and the time it took to get there, I will serve it.

Eat 'em. Heck, I tried doing them @ 250 to see what they would be like lol. Have done them several times @ 280.

Will, if you do die, what a way to go, eh?! What's your address??

icon_biggrin.gif
Just kidding !!!
icon_biggrin.gif

The bad news is Will R. you are going to die!

The good news is that you are not going to die because you cooked meat loaf at 250° till it reached 160°, as long as it did reach 160°.

There's some increased risk in the "danger zone," look at some of the posts by K Kruger, he can explain the dangers better than I can. But in this situation, I would be happy to eat it or feed it to my family.

Sorry to disappoint everyone, but I'm still living.

Lesson learned...I will never leave my WSM until the temp. settles. Better to be safe than sorry.

I haven't done so yet (since it was the second time I used the therm.) but I need to check it for accuracy because as I stated earlier, the internal temp. reached 160-165 in the "normal" time compared to my other meatloaf smokes.

Do check your therms for accuracy but as all above have said so long as you reach a safe internal there is no concern. If you cook to a safe internal, the next issue is one concerning the leftovers. They should be cooled and fridged promptly.

I smoke my meatloaves in the 240-260* as well as my turkeys. As long as you reach a safe internal temp, you are fine. Like Kevin stated, keep your thermometers calibrated for accuracy (I do this every other cook) and get your food properly wrapped and refridgerated as soon as possible after eating. I try to get leftovers in the fridge within an hour. Anything that's not eaten within a day gets vacuum sealed or fed to the dogs!

Will,

That's great you're still alive. But since you've got time can you modify your will so I'm in it to receive all your BBQ gear.

I would be happy to carry on your legacy with smoke loaf.

LOL

Back